navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for shallow angle roofing materials needed.  (Read 7375 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »

Very good point billi.

(& might even be viable as far as direction, overhang of eaves, & shrubbery climbing walls which farmhouses are famous for).

porch light sorted!  Grin

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Tesla 3 owner,..soon (missus bought it on the sly) MARITAL STRIFE
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 10:59:01 AM »

Was going to post this later but seems too good an opportunity to miss.  New place in Sweden
Have not got up there yet but certain it is going to need renewing in the not too distant future.

Your esso butyl Biff ?

Really don't want to be doing this twice! Smiley

This is the north facing side of the house.

All suggestions welcome

Kidwelly South Wales
Bodidly

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

How big is this roof and how does it butt-up to the house? If it is a small roof, it may not be too eek-spensive to increase the pitch by re-timbering, then re-tile with reclaimed tiles to match the rest of it. Gives room for insulation then. (not my wallet Roll Eyes !)

Not large. Taken a picture to answer some questions

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »

Was going to post this later but seems too good an opportunity to miss.  New place in Sweden
Have not got up there yet but certain it is going to need renewing in the not too distant future.

Your esso butyl Biff ?

Really don't want to be doing this twice! Smiley

This is the north facing side of the house.

All suggestions welcome

Hi Tod

I considered  a  link to a Swedish  house in a glasshouse , on your other thread  , but thought it might scare you  ...  , but  i think (depending on planning regs )  to cover that house  with a glass-PV-house would make sense and style and minimize  a lot of other issues about  say windows , doors , roof , heating , insulation , vegetables ....

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodeling-design/blogs/naturhus-a-glass-act-from-sweden

I believe , one can  built  something like that  quite cost efficient ,

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

hysteria

A tad ambitious maybe!

Kidwelly South Wales
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »

Grin  .... there is this  Anarchist  German  slogan from my youth  " Seit realistisch , fordert das Unmoegliche "   ( be realistic and demand the impossible ) .....

Honestly  ,  i consider this option for our "temporary log-cabin "  we still live in   hysteria fight  , we still have planning for " THE MAIN HOUSE " a few hundred meters away on our land  ,  but  feel quite comply in that log-cabin with extension ....

My estimate was  .... it will last 20 years .... now its close  to  10 years old ,  we paid  about 20000 Euro   delivered to our door in Ireland  for the 70 m2 logcabin kit ,  sure i insulated the roof , the floor  and added  a passive solar heating  polytunnel to the gable wall , with the extention  , that i built   we have now about 95m2  all heated by a new  150 Euro   6 kw stove (replaced now with a cooker stove )  and surplus  from el. generation .....

We live in one of the most  stunning places on this planet ,  and as well in an area with folks around us that are  sound  ,  a great society

I had many dreams about dream houses   and got planning on our land  twice for  "unusual " houses  (one was completely round  with a dome  Tongue )

I guess  a glass condom  over our  log cabin  would be a realistic dream  .... and as i said  10 euro per m2  for   glass-glass PV panels mixed with transparent  glass   and a m3  of weather resident  douglas fir to frame it is about 350     ......  dreaming billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 07:51:32 AM »

I've always wanted to clad a house in PV. It must be almost as cheap as other forms of cladding now. Planning might be hard though.

Kidwelly South Wales
acresswell

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 12:02:44 AM »

Would it be a problem if the whole roof was light-admitting?
How about twinwall (or multiwall) polycarbonate?

The requirements on pitch vary - I'm sure I remember seeing some (25 or 35mm thick, I think) that would work at 2.5 degrees.

Building a new home in North Worcestershire
 see http://ecobodger.wordpress.com
fourfootfarm

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »

Are you ferociously weathly? Not many roofing materials more attractive than copper.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
MR GUS

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »

How did the roof go in the end? ...has nearly been a year tod.

Noli Timere Messorem
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 06:59:18 AM »

Job done Gus, did it early Summer. Just kept it simple, thought hard about change as I'm not a fan of flattish roofs. In the end just replaced as it it was. My neighbour was friends with a retired roofer, he had all the kit. Mrs T and I did the labouring the up and down stuff. A pleasure to watch him work. Through the winter all is good.  We will be painting the outside this year, deep joy!!  We are loath to spend more than necessary until there is some clarification of where Britexit will end.

Kidwelly South Wales
MR GUS

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »

Looks like you lucked out re the roofer 👍

Brexit is a major balls up uncertainty, started by a political "promise" on a bus, likely you are better off where you are, hold firm, despite what's going on in Sweden (lorry, failed asylum seeker / terrorist) ..I cannot envisage that  someone married to a Swedish national will be raided in the middle of the night & thrown on a plane to Manchester in just his y-fronts & T-shirt ...unlike a mate of mine  hysteria

What are you wary of re brexit at this point? the swedes aren't angry French political EU point scoring nor out for revenge against Brits, (unless you hit the barley wine hard & went on a local rampage of course)!?

Noli Timere Messorem
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »

We went to the cinema on the night of the Stockholm attack.  Our local town Had 15 cops fully tooled up guarding the station, enough weapons to start a small war. Sad times. We are both Brits,  So we have little idea what will happen to us or Euros living in the UK. Let's hope pragmatism wins. fingers crossed!

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: