navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found video on youtube, interesting experiments deviate from norm  (Read 1233 times)
fourfootfarm

« on: March 31, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »

Points of interest particularly to me.

Using fuse wire as battery links, not something I would do as I don't have a hugely oversize battery bank, but I can see the though process.

Double controllering so that when the battery charging PWM controllers disconnect the micro gridties kick in.

Needs an editor but still interesting to see some innovation.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »

Not so sure about the aesthetics of the panels and his objection to a  ground based system.    It shouldn't be too hard to hide the  panels on the ground and still have  all day sun.     On the scale he is operating on off grid there must be  better systems for storage, perhaps not a little downhill train system   but something  more  manageable.     

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Scruff

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

Oh dear oh dear,
Nasty controllers, messy cabling, little cable stress relief, uninsulated buses.
24v on an installation that large?
Fuse wire + hydrogen mounted on a flammable material=  sh*tfan when it goes. Also high resistance and insecure terminations prone to heat, fuses aren't designed for full duty. Screw terminals will cut through solder.
Disconnects aren't rated for load breaking.

Points for effort but horror
fourfootfarm

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »

This is the most damning indictment I can think of. It does look like something I would do    whistlie

That said do have one of those cheap black chinese controllers charging a 12v battery off my oldest set of panels, and its run happily for a couple of years without any issues. I think its even branded! Juta or some such

Odd rule of thumb with cheap stuff is the more writing it has on it the more worried you should be. Like those 'MPPT' controllers that cost about 20! chocolateteapot

Its looks like an interesting experiment into what you can do with a mad selection of kit, but if you can afford that many panels and yuasa's then is a decent bit of switch gear and some proper fuses out of the question?

Anyway its all too easy to pick apart peoples hard work, if its working and there haven't been reports of battery based stately homes setting on fire just yet it must be doing something!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
Scruff

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »

To be honest mine isn't much better atm. I stopped updating because I didn't want to keep posting bad examples.
I checked my meter in my avatar last night I've 10mA disparity between charged and discharged amps. My 2yo 6V's are 100%  efficient. extrahappy (actually probably 95% and operating on average at C50). You won't get that with cheap controllers.

His inverter in parallel with a solar controller idea I reckon is always leeching power from the panels, it's a potential divider. I'd like to see it in action and see what it's doing. If the mains is cut though I hope it's got HVD.

Anyway its all too easy to pick apart peoples hard work, if its working and there haven't been reports of battery based stately homes setting on fire just yet it must be doing something!

Is it? I'm only pointing out the obvious if it was a safe installation I wouldn't feel the need.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:34:05 PM by Scruff » Logged
fourfootfarm

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »

Ha, sorry scruff that wasn't directed at you just more a comment apropos nothing.

I think I'm going to stick to treading in the footsteps of giants and not try anything radically new or different just yet. Knowing my luck I will actually set fire to something.

I've already learnt the hard way about spanner welding.

Turkish Turnip
Scruff

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:44:31 PM »

I didn't think it was.

Starting fires/welding with spanners is almost a rite of passage.

This isn't as fancy as Camilltech's but it does the job. I prefer sockets and extension bars these days.

Nothing wrong with experimenting just common sense and all that...
guydewdney

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 06:58:01 PM »

i have the same spanner for my campertruck batteries.....

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Stochengberge

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »

If it's in a Heritage Area, how has he got away with such an "eclectic mix" of an array?

And how about making the field array more efficient? Why is it only producing between 11 and 2? Presumably shading, in which case it is either in the wrong place or the trees need trimming.
Better to sort the basics before experimenting with such Heath Robinson electrics.

If heating the property is an issue, why not go for a ground source heat pump? Plenty of room for slinkies...

So many other questions, but at least he is having a go.

SB.

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
dhaslam

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »

Not sure if he  would be permitted to do it  but  two ponds  one at the upper end of the stream and one at the lower end  would give plenty of storage.   It would just need a pump  connected to the solar panels.  Also there could be  GSHP collectors  underneath the ponds.    It might also be possible to  hide  a row of PV  panels in the process.       

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: