navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC coupled direct heating thoughts  (Read 2836 times)
Fionn

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »

I'm sure it will work fine Paul. I'd probably add another voltage relay in parallel with the feed to the TS in case the diverter failed.
Guy makes a good point on the final dump also.

I'm guilty of being a bit of a hoarder myself but am in the midst of a huge clearout at the moment. I have to say it's quite liberating if not all that financially rewarding.
I actually have a 60Hz Aurora 3600 Wind inverter that is crying out for this type of an application since it's not useful for much else this side of the water  Grin

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
camillitech

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »

if the 6kw immersun device cant let any more than 3kw 'past' it then you need the secondary load (after the first immersion is 'satisfied') to be 'infinate' without a thermal trip, eg a sauna heater like mine.

Hi Guy,

the Immersun type device will pass the full 6kW to the element but will only allow 50W to 350W to backfeed to the batteries via the inverter. That's adjustable and I was thinking of playing about with that, perhaps 100W. I was thinking that would keep my fork lift cells nicely floating and in good health ready for any unexpected incidents. The TriStar will take care of the EQing and I'd always have a fully charged bank to fall back on, or even use it to top up my main one every now and then. Funnily enough I recently recalled you mentioning sauna elements and I've bookmarked a few places selling them, though to be honest they just looked like regular cooker elements to me. Pretty sure they'll be more durable right enough but it did get me thinking about salvaging old cookers.

I appreciate it's a bit of a 'sledge hammer and nut' project but I do have all the stuff required here at home now, apart from the 6kW diverter. It goes against much of what I've said in the past about double battery banks but it would also give complete redundancy and the flexibility to bring more power to my main system during the winter when the solar does feck all. The simple direct heating method has much merit but I'd not be able to use the energy for anything other than heat and using an inverter programed with the turnips power curve will produce more energy than just driving a load via PWM.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Mostie

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »

6kw of big resistors  Tongue surely we must have a pic

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »

6kw of big resistors  Tongue surely we must have a pic

Well Mostie,

here's 5.4kW warming up nicely

half of the other 5.4kW in the 'power station'. Now with the AC ones taking priority they rarely get so hot.

This is one of the 1500W ones, each TriStar has one of these and a smaller one connected to it.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »

I'm sure it will work fine Paul. I'd probably add another voltage relay in parallel with the feed to the TS in case the diverter failed.
Guy makes a good point on the final dump also.

I'm guilty of being a bit of a hoarder myself but am in the midst of a huge clearout at the moment. I have to say it's quite liberating if not all that financially rewarding.
I actually have a 60Hz Aurora 3600 Wind inverter that is crying out for this type of an application since it's not useful for much else this side of the water  Grin

Aye Fionn, that's exactly what I'd planned, an air heater operated by a relay that works if the immersion goes OC or the stat opens, and yes, the final dump is a good idea.

Shame about the 60Hz setting on the Aurora, you cannot alter that even with the computer generated password, apparently the frequency is embedded in the software,but I'm sure you know that.

I did have a mega clear out when we moved out of the old house, and yes, it certainly was 'liberating' but I just seem to keep acquiring things  fingers crossed!

Mostie

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »

thanks Paul, I'm never comfortable with those things next to wood  whistlie

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: