navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Affordable" Tesla EV launched  (Read 3144 times)
TheFairway
« on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »

Model 3 launched, $35000, 215 mile range

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35940302
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:40:45 AM by TheFairway » Logged
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »

Want want want!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »

Today is the 1st of April,
                I am not saying that affordable Teslas are a hoax,
              But just keep your wits about you today.
               This April the 1st lark sometimes goes too far.
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »

There's nothing April fools about the Tesla Model 3

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
TheFairway
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »

I think its a back handed compliment for someone to think that Model 3 is April fools joke.

Btw it was launched 31st March.

The comparisons of other EV's at end of article highlight how most other manufacturers put so little importance on battery capacity to give a decent range. What were BMW and VW designers thinking?
djh

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »

Btw it was launched 31st March.

Well it was 31 March in the USA but 1 April in the UK when I placed my deposit. Cool

I haven't had an acknowledgment email from Tesla yet - I'm not sure whether to be worried.

Looking at the photos (can't see their video 'cos it's bl**dy Fl*sh) I generally like what I see but one thing that concerns me is what the cost of replacing a windscreen after a stone chip will be, given it involves replacing the whole roof and the rear screen as well, as I understand it. That feature seems like design, or perhaps value engineering, taken a step too far. I can always hope that detail will be changed before the car goes into right-hand-drive production.

Cheers, Dave
dhaslam

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »

It may  finally bring to an end to the  10,000 premium for electric cars as well as much of the range limitation.   Both of those factors  meant that up to now only  1% of cars sold were straight electric.  For Tesla their challenge is going to be difficult, they have to make ten times more cars at roughly half of the price each.   The sales would be something like 6% of  US car sales if all sold domestically. 

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »

"Affordable"
                           That is debatable,,  surrender
                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:59:20 PM »

Biff the average purchase price of a car in the US is $35k. So that's what the car buying public in the US will pay on finance.
Tesla is pitching this model 3 at exactly that price bracket so that people can't make the argument that electric cars are too expensive for the mass market.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
RIT

South West London

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:24 PM »

Well the price/range is better than anything else so its going in the right direction.

I always take the range given for such a car and

- Take 20% off for the fact that its not a real distance value given, but a lab base value
  Then
  - Take 15% off for using the lights and heater (this is the UK)
  Then
  - Take 20% off for the drop in battery capacity over its life

Or to put it another way I view the useful range as being about 55% of the quoted value.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
phoooby

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »

@ RIT

I think it is 215 miles EPA (American measurements). NECD (think I got that right) is the European method of measuring range which is too generous. NECD on the Leaf 30kWh is 155 miles and EPA is 100-110 miles. EPA is far more accurate so if it is 215 EPA then that is 180+ in real world.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
RIT

South West London

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 01:22:11 AM »

@ RIT

I think it is 215 miles EPA (American measurements). NECD (think I got that right) is the European method of measuring range which is too generous. NECD on the Leaf 30kWh is 155 miles and EPA is 100-110 miles. EPA is far more accurate so if it is 215 EPA then that is 180+ in real world.

That is why I was taking just 20% off for distance rather than a much larger % if it was an EU based value.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »

I am very pro,renewable energy,
                              I really am.However and however,there is something not quite right about putting all these resources into building a battery powered Toyota Avensis.
  We have to leave the large car concept behind and embrace more futuristic designs that are lightweight and have different capabilities for different applications. People carriers and load carriers will have lightweight boxy structure and transport only will have low slung extra lightweight structure,
    What I am seeing with Tesla are designs still grounded in our old type mindset,
  However, If Musk were smart and brave, which he must be, he will, when he is ready and able, pitch a model on the market that will indeed tick all the boxs. He had to start somewhere but the finished product will look nothing like what is on sale at the moment. We have to start from somewhere and Musk has got started.
                                                                         Biff

Stochengberge

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:36:04 AM »

@ RIT

Agreed, the NECD figures are seriously over optimistic.

As for affordability, for the quality of the car you will be getting there is very little difference between the Model X and other cars at this price point. The average UK car price is approaching 30k these days and whilst this may not be in the same league as the Tata Nano, it is definitely heading in the right direction. "Rome wasn't built in a day".

SB

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »

200,000 people have placed deposits on the Model 3 already!
http://cleantechnica.com/2016/04/01/200000-tesla-model-3-reservations-less-24-hours/

That's certainly a lot of cash flow!

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: