navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been busy!  (Read 3858 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »

Nice pics and happy dogs Stann,
                             They keep us active and the routine is good for the soul.
                                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »

Indeed they do Biff. Our early-morning ramble satisfies their every urge and gets my back fit for more work.
Betfred is a lovely dog since being given some affection. Kimmie is still a pup who spends the first minute of release leaping upwards, reaching tremendous height. She's still a bit mouthy at first, putting her jaws around your hand or another dog's head but incredibly gently. A lady neighbour said she would spend hours trying to get her own eyes to look as good as Kimmie's. Grin
Stan

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:43:40 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »

With Biff talking about using a hand-held circular saw to make firewood from old planks, it reminds me that I recently bought an Aldi circular saw bench to cut up the smaller branches, 60mm or less. The sawbench has 2 off 254mm dia blades with a max depth of cut 80mm. 230V. 2000W. 90. This is coming from finding it hard work swinging a heavy saw of whatever kind off my right arm and the fact that small wood moves or vibrates during the cut.
It's worked out well as I am more balanced using both hands to hold a branch and it cuts green wood like butter. It is also far quicker.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »

That sounds good Stann,
                       My own results with the reclaimed timbers are somewhat varied, This last bag i cut was the worst one yet. The timbers were old joists from houses, well over 150 years. I found a joint that has not been repeated, i would say for a good 100 years and has more than likely come back from America, being used on the old Dutch Barn Houses around Philly. I must see of I can find it again and take a pic of it, It is quite clever even if it is time consuming.
  My ideal way of cutting is to arrange the planks on an old redundant kitchen table, Just spread them out, balanced and overhanging,,then ,standing in the one spot, reaching out and running the saw,through them,then straight off the table into the bag, I have a little guide set at 350mm max, this allows the flame to flare up around the logs, instead of sitting tight against the boiler and preventing the heat from getting to it until the timber is quarter gone. You can pack a hell of a lot into one of those blue bags but just chucking the cuts into it is no good, they need to be stacked inside the bag. They have never been exposed to rain and are already bone dry. They have also been treated by Rentokil which worries me slightly.
  I have a new saw due on the 20th a Silverline 185mm  (34.00)supposed "Heavy Duty " with 3 year guarantee, I also have a 185 evolution rage on order(60.00), It seems to be the best saw for this kind of work, The blades cuts through nails like butter.
  The saws need to be not much more than 5kgs, so that you can stand cutting and not get a sore arm or back. I was amazed at how good the little Aldi 500watt saw was. It was really good but it got overheated because I was cutting up 40mm laminated worktops for hours on end.Both saw knackered their bearings but If I had been a little more careful with the small 500watt one,and not rammed it into the cuts repeatedly, it would still be working away. I will buy another the next time they come up for sale. The 1100watt one had a 185 blade and it simply was not able to cut as quickly and as powerfully as the smaller 160mm blade with the small 500watt motor.
  The evolution 185 has quite a following and hopefully it is as good as they say it is. I have a good stack ready for cutting before I can go looking for more. I am not too keen to cut with the chain saw. They were never designed for this kind of work with old dry timber and the potential to hit a nail,
There is an add on the Irish "Done Deal" for a company in Cork that makes and sell a chop saw which takes logs up to 150mm, It comes with 4 legs and 2 wheels for easy moving around. It has a table that feeds the log to the blade and an adjustable stop for setting the size of the cut. The company shows a little video of a staff member cutting logs. It is very good and looks the part but I would rather  just move the saw about the table by hand than move the log. It costs 275 euros..Just that little bit too expensive but if you had a supply of free logs and sticks around 160mm  and less, It would pay for itself in no time.
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: