navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solar thermal or not..  (Read 3753 times)
duke700

« on: June 04, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »

Hi Folks

I installed a thermal store last year which is run by a back boiler stove and feeds 7 radiators.
The store itself has two immersiers fitted .
I got tappings fitted to take Solar thermal panels but after reading up on stuff I'm not sure which way to go?
Should it be solar thermal? Or do i fit Pv panels and they can run the immersiers and other stuff..

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:50:56 PM »

immersiers  Huh   extrahappy

I have both and both are good, to be honest, for simplicity if I were doing it now I would just go for PV.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
DonL

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »

Either system is unlikely to make a significant contribution to your heating needs in winter when sunshine is scarce. Either could provide most of your hot water needs in summer. Layout might be critical solar hot water is much more efficient at converting solar energy to heat so the collectors are physically much smaller. if you have a large south facing roof, PV would probably be simpler and give other benefits in reducing electricity consumption. If you only have a small area of south facing roof solar thermal would be more attractive.
Don

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
duke700

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:09:10 AM »

Thanks for the input,much appreciated.
Its to help with hot water in the summer months when fire isnt on..

Thanks again.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:52:15 AM »

I have had both, ST provided hot water for about 8 months without the need of electricity. 200L tank supplying 2 adults.
PV is just great and probably the one I would opt for if I had limited roof space.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
dimengineer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »

I have had both, ST provided hot water for about 8 months without the need of electricity. 200L tank supplying 2 adults.
PV is just great and probably the one I would opt for if I had limited roof space.

I'm curious. I thought it might be the other way round. The heat collected per square metre is much better with ST than PV? So if you've only limited roof, then ST would be better surely?
Or am I missing something?

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Pile-o-stone

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »

Several years ago I was looking at installing Solar Thermal, until I read this article:

https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2013/09/solar-hot-water-which-is-better-pv-or-thermal.html

The sentence that had the biggest impact and stuck in my mind enough to help me find the article again on google was:

"The Achilles Heel of solar thermal is that if the system stops working, it does not just fail to produce energy: it sets about its own self-destruction."

I subsequently installed PV (attached to 2x immersiers in my thermal store) and I have never regretted that decision, especially when the tank is full of hot water but the panels still generate usable energy.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:43:58 PM by Pile-o-stone » Logged

5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
kristen

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 02:57:11 PM »

"The Achilles Heel of solar thermal is that if the system stops working, it does not just fail to produce energy: it sets about its own self-destruction."

This.

I have both. Solar Thermal has needed maintenance from time to time. Air gets in. But reading this forum I reckon that has only happened to 50% of people, the other 50% (including my Father in law, who had his fitted by the same people, at the same time as mine) have never had a problem

I also have a separate Solar Thermal system for Pool. I wish I had put in PV plus Heat Pump. That would have the benefit in Summer of PV-runs-HeatPump but also in Winter or when pool s hot enough PV-goes-into-House and, if I need it (e.g. beginning of season) Grid-runs-HeatPump

PV much more flexible than Solar Thermal and, I suspect, less chance of needing maintenance

If you have PV then only the excess needs to run Immersion ... for starters you will have zero electricity consumption during the day (although maybe house is empty, and you are out at work? in which case after Fridge/Freezer then Immersion will be on)

With Solar Thermal you need to consider what happens when Tank is hot as the solar heat has to go somewhere.

Solar Thermal works best if pipe runs from hot water tank to solar panels on roof are short. Electricity doesn't care ...
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »

PV wins hands down.
  No trouble with airlocks. Faulty tubes etc. You have absolutely no hassle with heights or trying to avoid unsightly pipe runs and like Pile O Stones says. Once the tanks are full of hot water  the surplus heat exchanges  into our central heating System. Or used to supply electricity.
           Biff
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:55:58 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Iain

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »

Hi
.PV wins hands down

only if you have the space.

I have both. The solar thermal is taking the space of 4 of my PV panels. My PV panels are 180w so the solar thermal takes the space of 720 w worth of panels but gives about 2 kw.
So for the same area I get nearly 3 times the energy.

There is a bit of maintenance to do on solar thermal. In 10 years I have changed the fluid once. That is all.
So if space is a factor solar thermal can have great advantages.

It also means you don't have to waste high quality easily transferable energy by transfering it into heat.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
dimengineer

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 09:01:19 PM »

Hi
.PV wins hands down

only if you have the space.

I have both. The solar thermal is taking the space of 4 of my PV panels. My PV panels are 180w so the solar thermal takes the space of 720 w worth of panels but gives about 2 kw.
So for the same area I get nearly 3 times the energy.

There is a bit of maintenance to do on solar thermal. In 10 years I have changed the fluid once. That is all.
So if space is a factor solar thermal can have great advantages.

It also means you don't have to waste high quality easily transferable energy by transfering it into heat.

Iain

Thats kind of my take on it as well.
I've got both.
In the area I have my ST panel, i'd fit 2 PV panels - thats 500W only. I cant see how i'd ever get as much benefit from PV panels as from my ST.

However, I do get the idea that if you are starting from scratch, a pure PV install is going to be a better bet (if you have hte roof space - many of us don't)

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 10:55:01 PM »

PV is my advice too , beside warm water it reduces the electricity bill   , as well  produces something on dull days ......

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
duke700

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »

Many thanks for taking the time to share your views on it..
I've plenty room on the roofs and lucky enough to have some land so I'm  thinking log  store and use roof for the panels if need be..

Thanks again

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: