navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Settings to make a Sunny Island and Sunny Boy play nice...  (Read 1147 times)
bautsche

« on: April 16, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »

My apologies, you'd have thought that I would be able to find the answers to this searching the internet, but I don't seem to find the right words to look for, so here's another stupid question....

In order to make my Sunny Island system (5048) play nice with my newly installed Sunny Boy 3800, I think (after reading loads of documentation) I need to set the Sunny Boy to "Standalone Grid Operation". In order to do this, I think I need to ask SMA for a (or is that my?) "Grid Guard password".

In theory, I could then use Sunny Explorer to set the parameter?

Have I got this right? If so, I haven't found the right setting in Sunny Explorer to change and neither have I found a way of entering my Grid Guard password to even allow me to change settings with that protected by Grid Guard icon next to them.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Eric
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:40:02 PM »

Hi Eric,

you need to contact SMA for the 'Grid Guard' code, you can download the form from their website. When I did it you then had to sign the document, scan it and email it to them. It was a pretty straight forward affair and I had the code within 48 hours. Then you can do just as you say.

I use SDC but I'm sure you can use SE.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
bautsche

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »

Sorted it out offline with Paul and writing it up here in case someone else stumbles across this issue in the future.

Thanks only to Paul's help we have worked out that the only setting is the country code in the Sunny Boy inverter that needs to be changed. That then automatically changes various other settings in the Sunny Boy to match.
The relevant section in the Sunny Island manual is that on FSPC.

Paul also pointed out that 250.28 ChrgCtlOp needs to be set to auto on the Sunny Island.

In order to change the Country Code for the Sunny Boy inverter, you need a "Grid Protection password". These are personalised to each individual. To apply, have a look on google for:
site:sma.de Grid Protection password application

about the third link down is a form called GRIDGUARD-ZEN151321.pdf. You need to fill that out, scan it and email it to the address at the bottom of the form.

With that password in Sunny Explorer under "File" is an option to enable changes protected by Grid Guard. Once you have entered your password there, you can click the edit button in the Setting tree and everything becomes editable.

There you go, Eric's a happy man now with his inverters. ;-)

Thanks again, Paul, very much appreciated.
Eric
jonesy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

Iirc you can change to standalone during the first few hours of powering up a new sunny boy. Not much help if you've bought a used one.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: