navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a Leaf Battery to feed an inverter?  (Read 4597 times)
camillitech

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 08:25:44 AM »

in order for the GTI to connect to a local grid you have to turn off anti-islanding.

Hi Roger,

respect, but I beg to differ on this one, Sunny Boys and Windy Boys will connect just fine, I've done it with several for over a year, when I finally got around to getting the 'Grid Guard' code to turn it off. Admittedly they do tend to drop out if you put on a heavy inductive load but they work just fine, even with another brand of modified sine wave inverter supplying the grid. I've done it using both a Trace and an SI6.OH. Think Bautche did the same too with his set up (SI 5048 and SB3800) until he got the code, which I believe they now charge for  Shocked Not an expert by any means but I believe that turning it off just widens all the parameters, perhaps it has something to do with the earthing. The sparky that wired our new house said that "you have the best earth I've ever seen", whatever that was supposed to mean  facepalm

Cheers, Paul
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:04:34 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »

I have no idea about  that "anti-islanding" mode settings   ,but  am   more than 100 % sure a Sunny Boy will not produce anything / has to shut down ,   when there is a power-cut on the  main grid , whatever mode you have set

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »

.... for ideas like this (first post) , one should get a smart  hybrid  Inverter  ( first i remember was Nedap , but there are plenty now )

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Scruff
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »

The sparky that wired our new house said that "you have the best earth I've ever seen", whatever that was supposed to mean  facepalm

Low or no impedance between point of use and supply earth.
It reduces delay and overshoot of your protective switchgear.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:54:14 AM by Scruff » Logged
Tinbum

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 06:51:50 PM »

in order for the GTI to connect to a local grid you have to turn off anti-islanding.

Hi Roger,

resect, but I beg to differ on this one, Sunny Boys and Windy Boys will connect just fine, I've done it with several for over a year, when I finally got around to getting the 'Grid Guard' code to turn it off. Admittedly they do tend to drop out if you put on a heavy inductive load but they work just fine, even with another brand of modified sine wave inverter supplying the grid. I've done it using both a Trace and an SI6.OH. Think Bautche did the same too with his set up (SI 5048 and SB3800) until he got the code, which I believe they now charge for  Shocked Not an expert by any means but I believe that turning it off just widens all the parameters, perhaps it has something to do with the earthing. The sparky that wired our new house said that "you have the best earth I've ever seen", whatever that was supposed to mean  facepalm

Cheers, Paul
I've also done it with a Trace.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »

the question was  ,  if a Sunny Boy can  form its own Grid   ....................

Answer is still   NO

baker

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 11:54:17 PM »

the question also was can I connect a Nissan leaf battery to a 4kw gti
on the data plate, max amps s dc in <20amps ,   
baker
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 12:14:46 AM »

...and the answer was ....   the battery  is not the question

the question should be  other way round !    So  what size of GTI to connect to a battery !

heatherhopper

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »

The sparky that wired our new house said that "you have the best earth I've ever seen", whatever that was supposed to mean  facepalm

Low or no impedance between point of use and supply earth.
It reduces delay and overshoot of your protective switchgear

I had exactly the same comment regarding the earth from a contract sparky wiring up our extension. He was unable/unwilling to further elaborate so, not knowing whether to be elated or despondent at this revelation, I promptly forgot about it.
Thanks for shedding a bit more light on it Scruff.
Excuse the idiot's question but - is this likely related to simply off-grid installations or has it something to do with Wind Turbine earthing?

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: