navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I worked it out with a pencil  (Read 1762 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: June 12, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »

Yee gods,,!!
          Mrs Biff saw these today and reconed the pointer would keep me occupied for a while.
    Donegal plays Fermanagh,
  NI did well today against Poland. They did not win but they got valuable experience and learned to buckle down and play together
  They are in with a chance
   R.O.Ireland play Sweden
  And I sit in the corner sharpening pencils,,

Yes I know,,dead simple,but a brilliant point on a very very handy pencil.
                                                                 Biff
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:45:15 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »

This is a self loading screwdriver with a revolving bit holder. The other barrel of bits fits into the handle.
      It might look awkward but it is a very handy little gadget to have around
                                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »

There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from sharpening pencils Wink
The same about a well sharpened knife.
I could never arouse much enthusiasm for sharpening a chainsaw which remained a chore.
I don't write often but a product of childhood schooling I always prefer a fountain pen.
It seems nobody sells ink unless you shop online. Really starting to feel like a dinosaur.
I have used the same screwdriver for the best part of 25 years, all the different heads are held in the handle you just pull twist and lock the required head in place. facepalm

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:00:01 PM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »

Morning Biff! Just a little video-clip to help trigger your creativity. I have a vision of your new diesel generator having more than one use...  Smiley (skip to 2:00 or so)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »

Good morning all,
            25years Tod is a long time to have a screw driver. genuflect. I know you probably got new bits but even to keep the body itself for so long, intact, must be a bit of a record.
  I go through screwdrivers like kid through smarties, all the different colored ones end up as paint stirrers,chisels,hitchpins, anchors and out on loan. I have a set for electronics with quite precise hardened heads which I treasure.
    Hi N2,
            I could not get the video to work on my pc, The charger has been sitting waiting for a chance to show off its prowess but despite the fog and lack of wind,it just sat there,lonely and deserted,guarded by billions of midges. I am going to have to figure out some way past that one. Thankfully the midge goes to ground in winter.
 The charger/generator/yokeybus  Grin has been finished for a while now and i will post some pics of it later today.(If I can remember) I leave my jeep in for it,s NCT today Cry so that is always a bit of a traumatic experience for me.
                              Biff

knighty

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »

might sound daft Biff, but will a normal desk fan not keep them away ?

normal revolving fan will blow them around a bit and they'll either be blown away, or they'll sod off somewhere else where it's not so windy ?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »

Hi Knighty,
       I had a few sessions with absolute clouds of them. You could hardly breath with them. I am not exaggerating.
  They are not supposed to bother you in anything over a 6mph breeze but that is no longer true. They hop onto you and the dogs
  There were a few evenings where they were in a frenzy .They only thing that would have worked was a flame thrower.
  When i got into the porch, I sealed all the doors and did them with the flyspray. The following mornings the cills board were dark with the dead ones
  they were that thick in the air. Even the hounds have difficulty with them. It is an exceptionally bad year for them.
  We tried the most recent "So Soft" From Avon. "Fast Hydration"  " Dry oil spray" It is the best yet. The midges land ok but they do not seem to bite
  the sprayed area. I spray the dogs with it as well.especially their heads and tummies.
                                                Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »

15.05 came .
            My "Soft Roader" went through the doors of doom. Tight lipped testers took my particulars and keys and ,,and  ,, and my 55euros.
     I got a seat among the rest of the victims. One old dear,, 90 if she was a day,,hobbled over painfully to the glass partition to hear the bad news
    And it was bad, big yellow mark after big yellow mark, The tester pushed the knife home with each stroke on the big fat yellow felt tipped pen.
    She wobbled a little, She was not acting now.. But..but..but... The hatch slid across,,she was still going but,,but,,and the tester  was gone off into
    the bowels of the station to inflict his torture on someone else,,The chat was lively in the room,,We all agreed that the testers had "attitude".
    Then Volvo Man,s turn came and after listening to a lecture and getting a load of yellow strokes, he sat down again and took a drink from the adjacent
    dispenser, (free),, He was not happy. Then up and off he went. It looked bad for me..These cars were pretty new and mine was an 01 and a 4 x 4 which
    are notorious for getting through the test. It was a bit like your first baby. Sitting in that waiting room and thinking of all the terrible things that can go wrong.
    Years ago,when this station first opened, I watched them through the glass, testing my old 92 ZX x1400cc. They set the pressure too high for testing the back axle
    and you could hear the bang half a mile away as the rubber bushings were ripped off the body and the axle slammed down onto the lift. That cost me an extra 75 punt
   back then but it sailed straight through the following 3 years.There was nothing but muttering in the waiting room,then my turn came,,I was handed my keys and my pass
   with the accompanying disk and pass sheet. Yee Gods, looked kindly on me this day.
     I needed a front passenger wishbone,+ drop link. A cv boot on the drivers side+ wipers,labor 120 euros and the rest of the 350 was parts cost, So,, it was 405 euros to stay on
     the road this time.The tax is 200euros a quarter..What can i say to justify such crippling output..I like the Jeep, It is dam,d comfortable. No slouch when you wind it up.
     It is also very economical and reliable. I suspect,, I am kidding myself but i could do a lot worse. Till next year.
                                                                                    Biff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: