navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A quesion for the edurcated,  (Read 2699 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: June 15, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »

I have converted a 1.5 horse 3phase drill motor to single phase,
                       I have a very poor selection of capacitors,, 37mf.......22mf.........and 27mf, I got it running on the 37mf but had to add the others to get any kind of speed.
  So it is running but I note that the motor is quite warm, I originally intended to build a bank of 8 mf but could not find them in the shed. facepalm.
  The motor has been lying up for a good 6 years The shaft is rusted. Nevetheless it is quiet and has a pleasant
  hum of it. It is just that it is getting worryingly ott,
  Any advice,?   (apart from putting my hand in my pocket and buying a decent single phase)
                                    Biff

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:35:27 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Westie

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »

I'm very edurcated coz I use one of these on my lathe Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPDATED-1-5KW-220V-2HP-7A-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-3PHASE-/331660977342?hash=item4d3888e4be:g:AZkAAOSwVL1V~9JD

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
roys

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »

Have to agree with Westie, get your hand in your pocket and buy a single to 3 phase converter😀
I converted my 3 phase lathe motor to run of single phase by using a converter.  Used to be a rotary converter which was noisy and inefficient but now have a new fangled electronic one, much better.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »

Thanks Lads,
            That is a fine looking machine and may be just the job.
     I managed to rootle out a few more caps and I think I might have enough to balance the phases.
    But that machine takes all the guesswork out of it, genuflect
                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
oliver90owner

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »

I now have a total of 4 VFDs.  The last one is identical to the one above, to be used on a 0.75kW motor.  They will send it for 75, but not for 70.  Wink  They try to be really helpful but the addy said delivery from Portsmouth, they thought Portsmouth was somewhere in the West Midlands(!!) and the item was actually sent from Germany.  No matter, it took a few more days but did arrive.

Two, at least are 220 to 415V, this last one is def 220 to 220V. Two were already fitted to machines I have purchased.

The 220 to 415V items tend to be rather more expensive than the same voltage single to three phase.

RAB
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »

Mornin Biff. I've got one of these:

It's fixed frequency Transwave static converter and can handle a range of loads from 0.75hp to 2.2hp. Other sizes are available. It's a bit more eekspensive, (230 S/H off flea-buy a few yrs ago), but solid, rugged, reliable and British-made. No electronics, only lumpy components and wiring. Still works perfectly after 20 yrs.
 Switch-on, turn range-knob for minimum current and leave it there. Once on, more 3-phase motors can be added up to max load; just twiddle range knob to suit.

N2
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:54:04 AM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »

Thank you all very much.
                     This is very helpfull information and all relevant.
  I managed to source some used matching caps but the phase converter is rather appealing and a better job all round.
                                                    Biff

noah

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »

I ran a workshop off two 20kw transwaves (specially made then) for 20 odd years. 8 hours a day usually 4 or 5 machines up to 7.5hp going at once. replaced a few switches and caps. Sold them for almost what I paid for them.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »

Biff,

I have a big old 2 horse single phase motor that needs a new home, originally fitted to a big floor sander, postage might be spensive though, any good to you??

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
rogeriko

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »

just buy one of these    job done  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BOXED-EUROTHERM-601-1-5Kw-2Hp-1ph-to-3ph-240v-INVERTER-MYFORD-USER-/162097465610?hash=item25bdc3090a:g:MP8AAOSwtJZXWGK5

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 09:26:42 AM »

RS components used to stock the Eurotherm-601 controller, so the chances are that it was a quality product in it's time, so probably is good for quite a few years to come. RS are quite picky about their products, as they have a reputation to uphold. If I didn't have my transwave now, I'd have it.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »

Thanks for the offer Desp,
                   PM sent,
                               Biff

oliver90owner

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »

A 240V three phase supply from single phase would not be very useful if this motor is actually a 415V,only, motor.  These motors can be made to run off 240 single phase, but will produce much less power.   A three phase motor is generally much smaller than the equivalent single phase example.  If less efficient and with a smaller cooling fan, that may be the reason why it seems to be running hot.
camillitech

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »

I've got the opposite problem, I acquired a brand new .75HP 230V three phase VFD but can't find a motor to suit it, 230V 3ph motors seem rare as rocking horse pooh. Not that I've actually got a use for it yet but I'm sure if I found a motor I would  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
fred bloggs

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »

Gents
if the motor is 415volts three phase and its connected in 'star' if you connect it into 'delta' it will work off 240volts.
you can normally do this if there are 6 motor terminals and not 3!
You will find that the motor will run alot cooler even if you are using capacitors to create a 'phase shift' if you config to 'delta'
Sent from my mobile , if you want better info and drawing let me know and will get on pc and do drawings when broadband returns as bt seem to be on strike this week!!
Best regards
fred
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: