navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a minimum 'fall' for a wisy filter to work?  (Read 2607 times)
Imintheshed

« on: June 16, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »

Hi,
I've acquired a wisy filter and want to incorporate it in our rain harvesting system.
The IBC (1000litre) tanks are located at the back of the garden which is slightly elevated from the house; I therefore can't have the wisy filter at ground level. Obviously I'll keep it as low as possible, but does anyone know if there is a minimum 'fall' for the filter to work properly? I'm assuming that the design must work on single storey buildings (which is effectively what I will create), but can't find anything on Wisy's website to confirm or deny this.
The filter is one of these...

http://www.wisy.eu/produkt/filter-collector-and-standpipe-filter-collector

Many thanks.
Iain

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 06:48:43 PM »

Hi
Mine is fitted at about head height, with the gutter flowing straight in to the top of it.( single story lean to at Back of house) I don't think there are any problems at any height ,it is only a filter with a take off.
I do clean mine every couple of weeks so having it at a convenient height is useful. The mesh needs a scrub with a brush evert couple of weeks otherwise the amount collected will reduce.

Iain

* image.jpeg (42.2 KB, 320x316 - viewed 783 times.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:54:16 PM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Imintheshed

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »

Thanks Iain, that's good to know. 
I reckon mine will have around 8ft of drainpipe before the rainwater hits the filter; I'm hoping this will be sufficient to set up the required vortex in the tube and filter to clean it.
I used to collect water straight from the roof in to our tanks, but these were exposed to the elements and would freeze in to 1000litre ice cubes in the winter and then develop their own micro-cultures in the summer.....most of which would later appear doing backstroke in our toilet boil!
The plan is to lay a concrete base and build a proper 'man shed' (I'm looking a pallet recycling) which will incorporate the two IBCs.  I'm hoping that this wisy filter will prevent the wildlife from getting in to the tanks and that the shelter of the shed will stop the freezing / algae blooms.
Thanks again.
DonL

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »

I only clean mine once a year when I take the filter out, put in a blank for the winter and empty the IBC's. It seems to work fine and isn't particularly dirty when it comes out.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
Iain

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »

Hi

I only clean mine once a year when I take the filter out, put in a blank for the winter and empty the IBC's. It seems to work fine and isn't particularly dirty when it comes out.

As mine is at a nice height I check the output flow when it rains, I find every few weeks the output flow drops.
Looking at the filter it seems nice and clean but after a scrub works a lot better, and the flow increases.
I think the mesh is so small, I sometimes wonder if it is algae that is blocking it, and the scrub cleans it out.

Unless as per the start of the thread, I wonder if it would help if I had a fall of water from a greater height before entering the filter??

I probably wouldn't realise if it wasn't easy to see the output flow.

Iain
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:46:19 AM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: