navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Inverter  (Read 6436 times)
martin

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »

sums time! - presuming the Hawkers will last for 25 years, they'll cost you - 280 euros per annum replacement cost + loss of interest on investment + inflation on cost of next set............. Huh
at the other end of the scale, cheapo "leisure" jobs would be around 800 (1200 euros?) - if they last 2 years, replacement costs, 600 euros per annum...........(and all the others somewhere in between)
The other point to be born in mind on battery choice is that flooded lead acid batteries are reasonably tolerant of over-charge (as may be expected in a wind system), unlike gel batteries which can expire rather quickly if so abused......... Roll Eyes

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
The Slow Old Man

I couldn't be more chuffed with our wind turbine

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »

Thanks for that Billy/Martin

Which did you buy in the end Billy.

Brian

The person who never made a mistake never made any thing
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 04:30:31 PM »

none of them  Grin

bought three year old fork lift batteries for half the price (then the quoted) and twice the AH

but now i have trouble to ship them to ireland , because of dangerous goods   Embarrassed

so can end up to go back to the OPZS  from germany new ( they are able to ship , because having the right paper)

Rolls surette  are good batteries two !

cheers billi
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:34:55 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Bob

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 07:07:04 AM »

There some links on Homepower.com (I think I have that right) for making your own.  Simple batteries are not difficult but they are dangerous.

Thousands of liters or boiling acid not to mention the broken plastic and metal flying around is not to be considered lightly.

I have used NiFe cells and forklift cells (you can see these in the bottom left of the pic) but would never go back from my current ones.

I agree with Martin on tolerance of the liquid cells.  Gel is a pain in the terminal!

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
doubletap

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »

................ cheers for that Bob. Sounds like it might be cheaper to pay the 25k the electric company wants to hook me up to the grid! Ha no way, I will find the answer, will just persevere. My electric needs aint that much anyway and, after all I like experimenting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 07:25:04 AM »

Batteries are only expensive if you need them NOW.  If you can wait and scavenge then they can come quite cheap.  I waited about 4 years from first seeing my big set to actually getting it.  Luck played a big part too.

camillitech

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

Hi Bob,

came across these today and thought of you Grin

Any tips on resurection Grin

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »

Paperweights, they are......    Undecided

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
Bob

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 06:54:02 AM »

Morning Paul

No probs there mate  On the 21st of March I want you to put them in a cave with a big stone in front of the door.  Then three days later your wife and two other women can take some cleaning solution and new cloths to wash them.

Miraculously you will find them gone and probably somewhere near my right hand..

camillitech

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 07:06:30 AM »

Morning Paul

No probs there mate  On the 21st of March I want you to put them in a cave with a big stone in front of the door.  Then three days later your wife and two other women can take some cleaning solution and new cloths to wash them.

Miraculously you will find them gone and probably somewhere near my right hand..

Grin Grin Grin I just wish I'd come across them before the digger ran over them because the exposed plates looked OK. Pretty sure they came out of the telephone exchange some years ago. Can you believe I had 6 similar to yours around 18 years ago that came out of a Royal Observer Corps bunker. I threw them away because I thought they were US, in reality I suspect I didn't have anything capable of charging them Roll Eyes Still it was all part of the learning curve.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Stefan (S.T.E.F.)

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »

That way you save the cost of the inverter, all the losses involved, and the difficulty of even running energy saving bulbs off a modfied sinewave inverter (you really need true sinewave.......) Roll Eyes

What kind of problems would you have with that?
I have run 2 energy saving light bulbs (7W each) in my camper off a cheap 300W inverter for month without any problems. The kids were also chariging mobile phones and hand held video consoles off the same inverter. I also charged my laptop (not at the same time).
I was going to continue with that... should I not Huh

Finally building this year after 3 years of planning / building control / finance mess.... phew.
martin

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »

there's no hard and fast rule with inverters - I too have used a modified square wave inverter with all sorts of things, including assorted "mains" chargers, and energy saving bulbs - some inverter/bulb combinations work fine, some don't (I've got a 150w inverter on which energy saving bulbs work, but "buzz", not auguring well for their lifespan). Generally, I certainly wouldn't risk anything of great value on modified sinewave jobs - tvs buzz ominously etc.(usually the precursor of the power supply going phuttt!)
And they vary enormously - a friend of mine living off grid had a 1kw modified squarewave inverter (with a large battery bank), off which several household items ran perfectly - "upgraded" to a larger, and ostensibly "better" Xantrex modified job, and nothing worked properly - had to go the whole hog, and buy a true sinewave inverter before all returned to normal...... Lips Sealed
True sinewave inverters need not cost an arm and a leg, you can get a reputable make in 600w for not a lot over 200 - put that up against the cost of replacing one or two domestic items, they're cheap! Grin
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:07:39 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: