navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bird strikes, windows & UV lights...  (Read 2854 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: July 01, 2016, 11:59:19 AM »

Not cutting the fronts grass has knocked (touch wood) this years bird strikes down from a typical 3 per morning to the upper window of our bedroom to ZERO ,which speaks mounds for reflectivity & deterrents.

Previously window stickers did not work!

rang the RSPB at Sandy lodge to inquire as to what a bird see's in order to plan along those lines (no help) ..he said to try googling "stuff" ...meh

Did however mention UV stickers, which presumably cost an arm & leg need placing via ladder on the outside of the window & will be prone to degradation... meh!

So does anyone know the finer points of birds & UV lights, presumably I could figure a low cost led light playing in the window to the correct range of a birds vision to do the same job (likely from inside too)

seems ideal for LED(s) ...& pretty too! ..which makes me think solar application (yes gus is sticking his name to this invention now, let it be known) ...small panel . led(s) on the correct frequency for the job = bingo bird deterrent when aligned properly with a pane of glass, or similar.

Help me out here  wackoteapot

"Intellectual" Property of ole Gus  fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:01:54 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
djs63

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 04:37:35 PM »

We have a similar problem. Hadn't correlated grass cutting with the number of strikes but I feel you may be right. Maybe they are more tempted by worms etc. in short grass?

Lost a whole family of thrushes despite hawk profiles in the Windows; in fact I saw one thrush crash into a 'hawk'!

Nearly all birds have their eyes on the side of their heads, owls are unusual in having binocular vision like us. But birds must be able to see forwards so why don't they see glass? Possibly birds do have receptors for UV light but the source would still be in front of them.maybe the forward image falls on a part of the retina can not detect light which has passed through glass, ie showing reflections or other changes. Does double glazing change the properties of light differently compared with single glazing?

We have a bird box in a window reveal and the birds are not disturbed by us standing with noses pressed to the glass but they are in we go outside near to the box.

Anyway I'm looking help too.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
djs63

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »

Birds can see UV light having 4 types of cone photoreceptors as opposed to mammals 3 types. The avian 4th type does respond to UV. Thus deterrence based on UV detection by birds may well work. A USA company called CollidEscape will deliver sheets of UV film to the UK and it appears to be sale at that place named after a big river.

Some research in the US shows that number of bird strikes increases after windows are cleaned. So that is easy! The interpretation is that clean glass reflects images of landscape and provides an attractive flight path.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »

I think I've experienced two types of strike:

At a glass block building I've seen a merlin fly directly into a corner window which it may have seen through to 'the other side' and thought it could fly through.
I regularly see birds fly into my breakfast room glass doors in what I believe is a territorial, aggressive joust, meeting the 'aggressor' head on. No grass outside, but stone terracing and perhaps a good reflective environment.

So, both reflection and see-through  flight-path errors maybe.

Chas
MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »

Thanks folks, i'll take a look at the uv sheets for starters.

For the record the collective mind here is far more on-point than so called "wildlife experts" on the dedicated line at Sandy Lodge RSPB HQ.

Appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:11:38 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
dickster

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »

As soon as the windows were in, the bird strikes started. They fall into two groups, they can see through the house and hit, and/or our sparrowhawk attacks at the bird feeder tree and they hit.

We stopped cleaning the windows, which helps, but have to leave two curtains in the middle of windows nearest feeders. we get maybe 1 every two weeks. 30% fatal straight away, the rest we put in the hedge. Some fly away after 10 mins, some after 30 mins, but we don't know what happens to them after that. Have seriously considered putting mesh across frame outside, will have a look at the US film.
MR GUS

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/141113-bird-window-crash-vin

Short, interesting.

https://www.birdsavers.com/buildyourown.html ..simple & cheap solution to try (para-cord).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:25:53 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »

Update, long grass & one red ribbon in the biggest culprit (window) has knocked bird strikes back by a guesstimated 80+ %.

Today I'm going to cut (rare) the grass & monitor again, then add another ribbon if we have more strikes again.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Philip R

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

We have not seen a single song Thrush in the last 18 months in Cheshire? and yours go flying into things.
Philip R
TheFairway
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-43407634/how-to-stop-birds-smashing-into-windows

The results from probably the more practical solution is discussed towards to end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: