navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: odd generator mistake  (Read 9908 times)
eabadger

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 09:55:26 AM »

that sounds very like the remote unit i made, press same button to start and stop?
i work in automation so get most of bits to look oem.

startomatic sounds the way, those kippor alternators look very light.
i have a startomatic 2.5kva complete with engine and all controls, cant see me ever using it.

didnt up excitor voltage yet, got made to do some proper work by wife.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »

One little remote control good enough to work at 50 yards as long as the signal wire on the geni is spread out.
    It was a brilliant economic thing while it worked.
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 06:21:25 PM »

So the Chinese got the yellow card in the Spratlys and in the shed as well, The floor was clear for a short while and now the Listers are dancing. This generator seems to have a very nice feel about it. It is old but I have a notion that that the internals are in good condition. The DC starting voltage is 24v and it is dam,d heavy. Every time I go near this baby I wished I had not.
  I am going to try and get it running, I was surprised to see that the KVA was 4.5 and the amps 19.5, So it is a lot more powerful than I first thought.

It has been sitting in the shed for a few years now, So I am going to put it going and then send it on. I have no further use for it, Our home made bank charger is all that we will ever need.
 I would be gratefull  for any advice, Do I open it up and clean it out or do I put an engine to it and see what it goes like, ?
 It came with matching CS Lister, I do recall being told that it was working fine, I am sure he was being truthfull.
                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »

ok going for it all the bits i think i needed have arrived.

new Meccalta AVR sr7 type, will configure to low voltage sense mode so will read one phase at 117v and input dc volts in to the field coil to excite output, interesting thing i have noticed is with no excitation voltage i have 50v output phase to neutral must be residual magnetism.

110v 3 phase RCD 25a per phase rated breaker, and ip65 box for this.

110v phase to neutral 3 phase multi panel meter, watts, amps, volts frequency ect.

am going to run one phase to house for washer/dishwasher ect.
1 phase to electric element in cylinder for DHW.
1 phase in to 70a battery charger, will monitor balance and see how far out.

so off now to start wiring, i had a nasty surprise when i discovered last owner had wired yellow phase to the earths, good job he didnt run any earthed to case items off it!

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »

ok, it works!!
starts fine now heaters wired correctly, no smoke after i replaced the air filter that was doing a great job of being an oil filter (breather blocked throwing all in).
the Victron multiplus see's the 220v across the two wires, it disconnects the neutral earth bond and relies on the center point earth of the phases i am sending it, generator goes off bond remade.
second phase is running a big immersion in the 500lt dhw tanks (these are plumbed in series, first inline to inlet water is heated if and when spare capacity, electric or wood boiler)
third phase is running another 75a 24v battery charger to a second forklift bank.

but now the sun has returned so not needed, which is good.
are now building a new place to fit more PV, current 1600w is fine, but slope angle is too low, plan is to triple the PV, have two more morningstars to get and the panels, am amazed how much they are cheaper now, cant decide if trying to have them movable on one axis for summer winter.

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »

as usual with these old things spoke to soon, stopped outputting power, i had been pushing it to the limit, i had fitted a modern meccalta AVR so i suspected this but no, was worried field coils had gone, or been eaten, i found remains of a mouse nest when stripped down, but no all read fine, so i checked the rotating diode and sure enough open circuit on the positive output, being a 1950's gen it must have been quite advanced to have a solid state rectifier?

pics of the old one.

* IMG_0313.JPG (106.48 KB, 640x480 - viewed 485 times.)

* IMG_0314.JPG (99.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 494 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »

and after a rummage through my box of bits left over from my previous life/job, and a bit of soldering and drill/tapping it is working again.

* IMG_0316.JPG (111.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 475 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »

Oh Stop,!!! eabadger,
               You cannot continue like this, You are making me look a complete idiot,!!
  But hey, that looks really good and clever to boot. I could learn from that last pic.
  I would love to be able to make such a masterpiece from my bits and bobs.
  I have spent some breath holding minutes studying your pics and what can I say.?
  Well done Sir, That is really good. Shocked
                                       Biff

eabadger

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 07:00:06 PM »

functional i would say, no idea what old one was rated at the ones i fitted were each 30a and two per device, should be fine checked temp after run and no change, seems much more stable now.
last few days have been 36* + and the solar was appalling mainly due to bad installation by me, no ventilation, all to change soon with triple the array, we were using about 6kw per day that has now doubled, i blame the Xbox and massive fridge, but given the current price of pv not too expensive.

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

turned out in the end i was right, a mistake!!
all was good and dandy, all the little bugs worked out.
the one day i noticed a bolt loose on the mechanical governor, so walked to house to get the 13mm spanner, when at teh house the phone rang and i spent two hours on phone fixing a problem in my role as tech support, as call was coming to an end i looked out of the window, and saw dense grey smoke above the solar shed/generator home
 sh*tfan
ran down and generator was runing fast and runing on its own oil by the look of it, pulled the pump stop lever and assessed, the loose bolt had sheared and the engine speeded up and up and up and.....
so pretty sad, assumed engine was dead, split the engine from alternator and discovered engine fine alternator seized melted.
victron was fine just tripped out, secondary inverter charger (w7) was off and tripped its breaker, it didn't like whatever voltage was generated at 4000rpm ish as apposed to 1500rpm
no idea what the avr did or did not do.

anyway then the brushes wore out on the little petter and it was leaking oil....

so bit the bullet big time, bought a 180 hour silent 10kva unit, so far fantastic, silent it is, very heavy took some shifting off the trailer, but so good so far, i like old things, but is it just old things were costley and new things can be cheap? this one was owned by the French pompiers and only ever ran on test i am led to believe, will form part of our CHP when the bunker is finished.

* IMG_0658.JPG (100.78 KB, 640x480 - viewed 331 times.)

* IMG_0659.JPG (98.25 KB, 640x360 - viewed 382 times.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:52:59 PM by eabadger » Logged

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »

Good luck with the new generator Steve,
              You will have plenty of power now. It looks good as well.
                                        Biff

eabadger

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »

fingers crossed, thought it had a massive oil leak but seems whoever serviced last left drain tap open as they added new oil, frightened when i saw it, but quick phone call to seller confirmed, then unit smoked and lost power another heart stopper but fuel filter had clogged, must have moved the cr*p about in tank when we moved it.
got a 1.3l mitsubish engine which still looks new at only 180 hours, wasnt cheap but these were 10k when new, alternator is a meccalta 3ph unit rated at 16kva wired in single phase, learning lesson and leaving all as standard this time!
i couldnt figure out why it wasnt blue like all other sdmo ones, then arrived and found out it was off a fire engine!
the 1.5t digger could not lift it a mm, ended up building scafolding over trailer and block and tackle it off.
ran up to full constant load today, 38a had two chargers and washing machine and dishwasher and immersion heater on, got all charged an done in 2 hours, that is after no sun or wind and no other charging since the last genset failed, used about 4lts at 60p a liter so i dont think that bad, next job as always more pv, ordered 12x 270w bocsh panels, am in uk working next week they should be here when i get back, already got two new morningstar mppt60 and a ts45 for turbine so loads to do, looking at geting a second victron to replace the W7 if i cant fix the charger the inverter works fine.

a grey and mizzy day, compared to last week where it was hot, t shirt and shorts on a few days, we were doing 5kw from 1.5kw array which is at wrong angle.
back to standard mayenne fare now.

1kw wind turbine.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: