navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New(ish) Nimh with a 5 year ability to retain capacity?  (Read 2161 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »

I'm behind the times because I'm still using a big stock of standard nimh rechargeable AA/ AAA variant batteries in our typical house schmutter.

However I've been sent a mix of 16  Nimh ,another generation of the eneloop "type"

They are the GP ReCyko+ Pro  & i've not heard of them or the change in tech or how valid the claim is for up to 70% retention after 5 years!

If true, some good potential...

Doubtless someone here will know, so.......!?

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Fionn

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Yes they are excellent, I've only used Sanyo Eneloops but I use them exclusively now.
I still have plenty of standard ones but won't buy anything but Eneloops now.
They live up to their claims on the low self discharge.
Ordinary non rechargeable alkaline batteries should be heavily taxed now in order to eliminate them altogether.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
MR GUS

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:40 AM »

Thanks Fionn, from your post you are using bog standard eneloops yes? (the 1 year non overly excessive drain claim).

This variety as a lower 2000 mAh capacity has a claimed storage of up to 5 years ,so it seems we have reached a new corner in whatever chemistry is within. I simply cannot find anything on this new variant whatsoever, best of all they are very affordable, so presumably that makes standard eneloop type batteries even cheaper & closing the gap on regular nimh prices?

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Fionn

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

Yes, I'm just using basic eneloops.
To be honest they last so long and are so useful that I think they're already a no brainer.
They're suitable for more or less every application and I'd expect they should have a good lifetime.
The Sanyo brand is somewhat confidence inspiring also, I'm not sure I could justify moving to another brand.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
MR GUS

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »

Wow, thanks stann, I remember when the eneloop first appeared, pricey, & we'd not long topped up our nimh batteries, so now the stock of 100 as it was is dwindling after a good 10-15 years i'm looking to improve on that & am therefore out of the (ene)Loop.

A lot of varieties there I had no idea they were the central source for the tech / licensing.

So i'm left wondering (looking at that chart) as to claims of "up to" 5 years being substantiated, a bit of reading ensues.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Scruff
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »

Nickel chemistry cells are my favourite for dry cell batteries. Superior cycle life and full discharge capability. They got an undeservedly bad rep. from various abuses of the technology; They weigh more than lithium ion, early electric car batteries used them in packs without cell balancing and portable tools were getting two charges per one cycle due to the self discharge.
Cadmium is some bad business though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:00:33 PM by Scruff » Logged
MR GUS

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Just a quick update,  the GP recyko+ pro batteries themselves are ok, still only been cycled gently a couple of times, but the GP chargers are total poundland kack, claiming 8 hours to charge a 800 AAA batteries, nearer 12hrs  (it' a micro USB 2-4 channel charger)

& the PB420 charger described as overnight is designed with led's that don't show you a completed charge cycle, merely remaining constant from the point of battery insertion it is meant to be around 17.5 hrs for a full charge cycle for AA's

..but how many of you would you trust a charger that  doesn't confirm a finished cycle?  facepalm  fingers crossed!

The marketing department & whoever signed these packages off really needs shooting, as it pulls down the reputation of the battery chemistry.
the 8 x AA + 4 x AAA batts is a good deal but the chargers should never have been made.

I'm in a bit of a qaundry, as I was sent these for a few mere quid by the distributor, but am concerned that the chargers are just re-branded faulty tat.

I have asked for info on the units apparant faults, & whilst happy to stick the chargers for recycling they don't do the reputation of batteries any good whatsoever, & technically questionable under specifications description.

As ever these days the firm are just importers with very little technical knowledge or understanding, always having to refer back to the manufacturer. (sigh)

I feel bad being a pain for the distributor, but I feel annoyed for the public.
It costs me more in petrol to take these to my local tip when passing than I paid for postage, & returning the duff / mis-specced chargers to the firm is causing my honest head to beat itself up, i'm guessing the distributor would send out another set, inc batteries / or refund the pittance paid, which would be a bit criminally quids in.

I suppose at worst I could suggest they send me some extra batteries if they feel that bad, it's not like I need more dumb chargers.
Context, these were sent so I could leave a non biased review of the products, so i've done the job so to speak, (& really ought to update my findings on said review) do I owe em!?

What say you lot.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Scruff
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »

..but how many of you would you trust a charger that  doesn't confirm a finished cycle?  facepalm  fingers crossed!

hysteria

I don't trust chargers that do!

If I care about the battery I use my own metering to verify the fidelity and it's as rare as a brunette in a mini I find a charger than does the job satisfactorily.
My thoughts are you get what you pay for. It's sometimes a better deal to buy what you want with some tat than without. Stick the tat in the junk/salvage/rainy-day pile and buy something fit for purpose. If the product doesn't meet it's spec. I raise issue...if it's just cheep cr@p so be it. 
MR GUS

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:02 PM »

Basically scruff I'm in total agreement, buy shonk get tat!

But I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth 3.50 GBP delivered for 16 GP recyko+ pro's &2 chargers.  (new)

I'm on a battery based binge right now & am eyeing up cheap portable powerbanks  that claim to have decent 18650's in them, 6 for 2.88 GBP delivered with a nice, ruddy powerful bike light thrown in, just charged it & tested, if I can spot a load of deals like that over time i'll take em & use em, if they are giving em away, a few cheap torch bike lights which can go to charity from new / uk aid box / overseas.

Another 2 18650's coming for 1.50 gbp (with another torch & charger) ..gotta be cheaper than buying old lap-tops from ebay.

20 already in last 6 weeks, get a decent qty & play with them perhaps make a "tEAsla" micro-wall  whistlie ..where's that ginger bodgineer when you need him!?

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
RIT

South West London

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 11:06:06 PM »

20 already in last 6 weeks, get a decent qty & play with them perhaps make a "tEAsla" micro-wall  whistlie ..where's that ginger bodgineer when you need him!?

How many of them are marked 9900 or 9800mAh, this seems to be the latest trend from the Chinese sellers

p1
    p2
    p3
    p4
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:08:28 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
MR GUS

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »

Shocking but not unusual, sadly, eh!?

That sort of behaviour deserves dentistry with pliers & a car battery to the genitals

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: