navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye Mr Lister  (Read 1994 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:30 AM »

The years roll on,
               And most of our Off-Grid requirements have been satisfied in full. It did not happen overnight,instead, i bought gear that I thought would be necessary. If i saw something that I thought was vital or beneficial to the success of the project, i would buy two or perhaps three of each safe in the knowledge that if they were winners,then other folks would buy them off me.
   Along the way, I fell in with Mr Lister and being the kind of character he was, I knew back then that i was not going to buy multiple Mr Listers. He was rather permanent and not at all mobile.
 A nice 8 horse startomatic with a 4.5kva generator,I would have to build a special house for him. However, the wily Chinese had my attention, I preferred the key start and the economy, I also preferred to be able to charge our 2 ton bank and so i built our own Battery charger which has since proved to be rather reliable and extremely economic.
 Of course there was no longer any point in having Mr Lister about.I had tried to sell him a few years back but attracted the attention of a couple of Lister fanatics who,s sole aim in life was sitting on their butts and lovingly stroking old Lister engines,now and then removing the oil cover to pinch a drop and rub it between their fingers. True connoisseurs of Listers. They simply had to be but not only did they not have any money,they were loath to part with it even if they had. So when a friend made me an offer for the complete set, I gratefully accepted.
 We spent yesterday evening ,in the setting sun,putting Mr Lister up on his trailer behind his 4 x 4. He was delighted with his purchase and spent a considerable time explaining how the different solenoids worked.He is going to restore it ans set it all up on his home farm. So it went to a good home.

To be honest, I am glad it is gone. I know that these are hard to come by but I no longer have a use for it and rather than have it turning onto scrap,It has gone to some one who will look after it. Meanwhile our Battery manager, can charge the bank, run the house and heat the water all at the one time. all on the minimum of fuel.
 I have 4 other generators sitting there I have spare engines and PMGs in case I need them for the charger. So I will be selling off most of the stuff. Perhaps putting an air cooled Lister 3.5hp engine on here on Navitron. We will see.
                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »

I looked at the first pic before reading anything and thought perhaps you'd mislaid the cylinder studs!    Huh Then I realised that the flywheels wouldn't turn  Grin
One day I'll have to sell my 6-1, another project I won't live long enough to finish. I just can't do big heavy stuff any more, too much creakage of the bones. Sad
Glad to hear your 'new' diseasel charger is working well.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Fionn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:01 PM »

A great move Biff, clears out a lot of space for you and the charger you have built is the ideal solution to your needs.
Hard to make a case for a lister now for anyone with both PV and wind.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »

If it is going t someone who will love it, use it, & pays money for it (& of good local character) then it's not such a bad thing biff, more like finding a pup a good home, you've re-purposed it, unless by misfortune it is used & abused it's likely word will get back to you as to its eventual performance, tantrums, & likes.. though a few panicky phone calls when you least expect it are dashing out with the dogs (for the purpose of immediate sphinctal relief) ..or dashing in to relieve yours!

(It's a genuine lister genny, you haven't seen the back of it yet based on their proven durability).

Hope you tucked it in gently with it's favourite dust blanket & told it to behave for its new master & mistress, ...& that you are only down the road, you'll face time the poor thing if it gets lonely etc)  whistlie

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »

Its been a busy time,
                  Selling Mr Lister, was fine but I also sold my Jeep tonight as well. I really liked that jeep but with only 7,000 miles clocked up in 2 years, it was turning out to be the most expensive vehicle yet, Tax is 710 euros or 200 euros a quarter and you pay by the quarter here because you could have some kind of trouble that would put you off the road and you cannot get your tax back unless you scrap the vehicle and even then it is a real bother.I would have full no claims bonus but just sitting on the street, without driving it or paying for the work to be done, getting it tested and road legal, It still costs a few cents short of 4 euros every 24 hours, just to have it sitting there, so, it had to go,I would have saved money giving it away for nothing hysteria but I did ok and got my money back. Still sad to see the back of Mr Suzuki..However not quite, I bought a little 2003 3 cylinder swift. I put new discs and pads on it. It needs a front wishbone and tie rod.It has at least 115,000 done but goes like stink and it very easy run on petrol. Tax is 199 euros a year and insurance is cheap. It beats walking in the rain and I am looking forward to driving it.
 Parts are cheap. Wishbones are 60 euros and the inner tie rod is 14 euros.There is a long test on it so it should be ok. They are easy to work at and pretty basic, Even the timing belt is an easy one. I used to do the timing belt on my 2.5 peugeot diesels years ago, now there was a headache!!
  Mrs Biff,s little Kia Rio is a cracking good little car,We bought it in 2010 and will be out of the guarantee in march 2017, I don,t like to borrow it too often whistlie so the little Swift should do the trick.
    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »

biff, register your car here in France, you pay tax when you buy/register, then nothing!! cars over 10 years are half price, my 4x4 transferred uk plates to french was 700 for life at 5 years old.

did you get good money for the startomatic? i have a 2.5kva aircooled one just sitting around with all the control box's i know i will never sort it, but cant bring myself to move on yet, you may have given me the push.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »

I got 850.00 euros for it,
                       And was happy enough with that. The guy bought a load of other gear off me this past year and he was keen to set it all up.
   Frankly, I am delighted that he got it. I had it for sale some years ago and attracted a few oddballs.
   It was complete ,with hot water tank and even the diesel tank and fuel pipes with the gauge.All the proper startomatic gear. It went to a very good home.
   I am getting rid of as much stuff as I can. There is no point in holding on to it any more. If anything happened to me, that I was not around to look after the place,
   Mrs Biff would be stuck with the job of getting rid of it and it would all probably go for scrap in years time.
   There comes a time when you kind of know that you are not really going to ever use these toys, so send them on for what you can get.
                                                                                                Biff
  Sadly, If I want to drive a car in the ROI, it has to be registered in the ROI. You get a few weeks to sort paperwork or they will confiscate the car.
   It happens here all the time.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:57:19 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: