navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: onsite recycling  (Read 2563 times)
eabadger

« on: August 17, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »

living off grid we still have to deal with human waste, had the fosse emptied today by new firm, they suck out all contents then screen and store onboard while they clean empty tank, then the filtered water is put back, computer calculates what was taken out and returned and gives print out, 4000lt removed 2000lt liquid returned, so 2tons of solids.
what we did find a few years ago is washing powder clogs up the fosse, when researching the clog we discovered washing powder has massive amounts of clay added to bulk it out  banghead
we now use washing liquid.

i was just really impressed with the onsite screening and reusing.
maybe they all now do it?

* IMG_0272.JPG (86.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 286 times.)

* IMG_0273.JPG (169.99 KB, 640x480 - viewed 284 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »

Damn, I now want to know more about the clay, ..if you have the time & the inclination please & thank you, EA.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
eabadger

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »

my understanding is washing powder was improved a few years ago, but housepersons still wanted to use same traditional amount, so cloths rotted, i remember it being reported at time on tv, so the makers started adding clay to bulk out the powder and dilute its chemicals.
when we moved from the caravans to the house we had a bad "backup" after digging up pipes i found the main 100mm pipe in to top of fosse was solid powder, stunk of poo and washing powder, was about 5 foot long and had been building up and up.
did some research online and came up with the clay therory, spoke to man today and is correct or so he says, now use liquid so no more issues we hope.
still think the recycling the liquid is fantastic, previous company sucked all out and took away, we then had to re-fill with a hose, total waste of water and kills the biological process, we have to put bugs/yeast in system once a month, these munch the stuff and remaining liquid is fed to drainage fields i installed some years ago, still seem fine.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sewers+blocked+washing+powder+

1kw wind turbine.
TheFairway
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »

Thanks for info re clay. Could explain a few things and after further reading, certainly appears to be used in some products. If reducing powder use saves sticking arm down drain an annual chore, we thankyou.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »

Thanks for the info folks makes change easy, (except for the cumbersome plastic bottle waste in comparison to a cardboard box) ...my other rule being only use half the stated washing powder.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
TheFairway
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »

Before switching to liquid, worth considering the points made here by washing machine insider and recalled by a third party.

Im just the messenger... But alot said f what insider says, I can relate too. Guess we will be using much less of some products in future although it ronically we dont use softener except for towels...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:28:05 PM by TheFairway » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »

i never even considered it till we had the blockage, we are family of 6 and washing machine is on twice if not thrice most days, new hotpoint washing machine is hot and cold fill so use solar wood to feed it.

Dishwasher is interesting as an aeg.
the uk manual states cold fill only, the european in english manual for exact same model states use hot fill where water is obtained by eco renewable means.

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »

read the link the fairway, i can see both points, but i would sooner fix the washing machine as apposed to the sewer, far cheaper if you get a proper man in, and less smelly if you do yourself, my fosse cost me 2000+ diy to get man in would have been 6500, washing machine was 349.

i still am in awe of the onsite recycling of the waste, does anyone else see this system, driver was proud of the new eco truck, cost to me was 256 should be ok now for 4 years.

1kw wind turbine.
TheFairway
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »

Not that it's relevant to OP, but worth pointing out that anyone with a shared drain, it's now the responsibility of the local water authority to sort out problems with the drain. Certainly in our area, they do a proper diagnostics and fix if there is a problem and don't just rod it clear. I guess they don't want to be back 6 months later.
JohnS

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:54:25 PM »

Before switching to liquid, worth considering the points made here by washing machine insider and recalled by a third party.

Im just the messenger... But alot said f what insider says, I can relate too. Guess we will be using much less of some products in future although it ronically we dont use softener except for towels...

Interesting.  I note you only use softener on towels but the link says don't use it on towels which is what I had heard too, although Bold softener may be OK.

The Google link earlier in the thread mainly shows old forum comments etc.  Perhaps things have improved a bit.

2.1kWp solar PV
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:22:37 AM »

Do you have a grease trap fitted( bac separateur de graisse) prior to it going into the fosse?
Grey water not poo. Horrid smelly diy job emptying it every 6 months or so but made the need for fosse emptying much less frequent.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
eabadger

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »

no grease filter, survey by "spanc" said not required as tank closeish to house, also and it may be an rumor but filter is now meant to be cleaned out by professionals.
the original blockage occurred where the pipe from house joined pipe from caravans so was a trap point, but the washing powder caused it, the smell of the powder and poo together is not nice, fine since using the washing liquid.
man from the extraction company said clay is a big problem with fosse, i do wonder if i and wife made worse by importing uk washing powder, you assume in france the manufactures would know maybe 70% are on own fosse system.

1kw wind turbine.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »

I don't think make of washing stuff is that important but using the same stuff and not brand swapping. Evidently bugs  adapt to specific brand.  More important perhaps for aerobic rather than anaerobic bugs. At least that is what we were told.  As far as emptying regs are one thing reality another, farmers would empty and mix with slurry for a next to nothing.
It used to be a tad ironic spanc would happily condemn individual systems, but the commune would spray half treated sewage onto the field s with immunity

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: