navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery starting a 2 stroke petrol engine, is it possible?  (Read 6983 times)
djs63

« on: August 31, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »

Having great difficulty starting an Efco strimmer. New shoulder joint is not as strong as I remember it being many years ago!  ballspin

Is it possible to start the pesky thing with the equivalent of a battery and starter motor do you think please?

We have cleaned and changed the fuel and the experts can start Ito I believe it is down to me......

PS It is obviously pull a string type starter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:54:19 PM by djs63 » Logged

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »

Having great difficulty starting an Efco strimmer. New shoulder joint is not as strong as I remember it being many years ago!  ballspin

Is it possible to start the pesky thing with the equivalent of a battery and starter motor do you think please?

We have cleaned and changed the fuel and the experts can start Ito I believe it is down to me......

PS It is obviously pull a string type starter.

Is it possible to get at the flywheel nut and use an impact wrench or cordless drill  Huh I have done this in the past with an impact wrench, dunno if a cordless drill would be man enough. Make sure you take heed of the direction of rotation though  sh*tfan

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:05:27 PM »

Look on u-toob. Likely vids of the many chinese generators being started with an electric drill, after the pull starts fail and spares would cost more than the buying price of the whole machine.  

Presumably the more powerful battery drivers would be capable (no grid  leccy around if you want to start a genny!).

RAB

Edited to add that a battery and inverter would easily run a mains voltage leccy drill, if needed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:11:52 PM by oliver90owner » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »

I have a 5kw diesel Chinese generator,
                      There never was a starter fitted to it, i don,t know anyone who could be bothered pulling the arm off themselves trying to start the animal, ( I had a few goes)
   So i whipped off the pull start assembly and fitted a 25mm ribbed timing belt round the pulley and round the chuck of an aldi 980watt power drill. I lever the drill off the frame to tighten the belt, Pull the decompression lever, Power up the drill and then throw the decompression lever and away it goes. I can start it without pulling the decompression lever but it is too sore on the drill.
     I am positive you could start your engine with a shallow socket that will spin off the moment it fires up. Just use the low gear on the drill.
                                                                                            Biff
   There is something wholesome about the sound of a two stroke, it could be because of my childhood reared among 2 stroke car fanatics and two stroke diesel,12 ton Commers whose blowers could be heard a mile away, The gear changing coming into the hills was music in our young ears. I know they were a terrible emission problem but God but they were classy stuff in their day.
 Suzuki built the last of the 2stroke car engines in 1988, yes as recent as that. They were the original 1ltr DKW engine= Auto Union= Early Audi with 3 rings. Suzuki had found a way to supply oil to the engine without putting it in the petrol but nobody would take it on. Maybe some day in the future they will resurrect it.
                                                                                     Biff;

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:11:56 PM »

Us model flyers (when we get a chance!) use something along the lines of these https://www.sullivanproducts.com/StartersContent.htm to start 2-stroke model engines.
They have a rubber cup that fits against the nose cone of the prop or takes an extended starter wand with 6mm shaft or 6mm hex ball for helicopters (via a one-way bearing on the heli clutch shaft).

You can pick up these and cheaper versions second-hand on a certain well-known auction website for peanuts now that many modellers are going electric. Any will be perfectly capable of starting a strimmer. The rubber cups are (almost) universal so any replacement cup should fit any starter (unless you come across one of the rare miniature starters). Turn the cup around and there is a smaller hole that might fit over the crank nut on the strimmer if you cut a hole in the fluwheel casing to take it. Just got to mind against getting fingers stuck in of course  Roll Eyes

Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:08:11 PM »

Aye Biff,

The old 3 cylinder 6 piston supercharged Commer TS3 'Knocker' was quite a thing hey.

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/pGaISFg_ZIw"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:09:56 PM by camillitech » Logged

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:54:51 AM »

Used to have a 2 stroke strimmer garden in excess of an acre rampant brambles needs the brush cutter. Hated the strimmer aching back, an absolute pig to start. I just wanted to fill it pull the cord and go not fiddle around for half an hour each time!! fume

Moving to Sweden smaller garden bought a battery strimmer, following advice here, absolutely delighted. Off it goes does the job no noise no smell just works. If you don't need the brush cutter I would  suggest this might be the way to go.

Kidwelly South Wales
oliver90owner

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »

I've got 2 stroke chinese gen sets and garden cultivator (Mantis).

I've also got 4 stroke pumps and genny.  All the 4 strokes are less temperamental than the 2 strokes and start easily (although the diesels do require more effort!).  Biffs timing belt and drill seems like a winner, but not easy to guard a high speed pulley on a strimmer!

My Honda 4 stroke strimmer/brush cutter starts easily, is far more gutsy than a 2 stroke, marginally less noisy(?) and less polluting.

Most two strokes sales are prohibited these days, other than small domestic items, I believe.  Emission standards cannot be achieved.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:59:33 PM by oliver90owner » Logged
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »

Used to have a 2 stroke strimmer garden in excess of an acre rampant brambles needs the brush cutter. Hated the strimmer aching back, an absolute pig to start. I just wanted to fill it pull the cord and go not fiddle around for half an hour each time!! fume

Moving to Sweden smaller garden bought a battery strimmer, following advice here, absolutely delighted. Off it goes does the job no noise no smell just works. If you don't need the brush cutter I would  suggest this might be the way to go.

Which battery strimmer is that Tod?
Stan

Years ago, when my flymo 38 became a pig to start, I made an adaptor from hex bar to half inch square. This allowed me to use a 650W mains drill to a ?mm socket on the crankshaft nut.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:22:32 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Barrie

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »

Hi DJS63,
Are you sure it's just down to the power in the shoulder, if the experts have had it running it should be an easy starter as they are so simple. Nobody has mentioned basic starting techniques for a two-stroke which are quite different from a four stroke, I hope I'm not preaching to the experienced! After years of playing with Stihl, and latterly Lidl strimmers, Flymo hover mowers and various outboards up to 50hp, all 2 stroke with pull chord starts, the following technique has never let me down.

Four stroke engines require the choke to be in the start position and only moved to the run position as the engine warms up. A two-stroke is very prone to flooding/clogging with the oil mix, particularly when starting from cold as the oil will settle in the bottom of the carb, it's always worth shaking it around first to mix up the fuel in the carb. Ensure the fuel valve is open, move the choke lever to the start position and pull the chord once or twice until the engine fires/hiccups. That's enough choke, return the choke to the run position and then pull the engine over whilst tickling the throttle to keep it running. To start with it won't idle or run at maximum revs but at least it will run enough to warm up.

Evinrude are still selling two-stroke outboard engines in California and the UK, so it is possible to make two stroke technology work within current day emissions limits. They range from 150 to 300hp with the latest versions having separate direct injection for fuel and oil. They claim they are more fuel efficient and cleaner than "the competition" which presumably means the other manufacturers making 4 stroke engines. Two stroke engines generally produce more torque and due to their simplicity they are lighter, pretty important if you plan to carry it on your shoulder for a couple of hours.

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
camillitech

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »

Never been a fan of two strokes, in fact, I feckin hate them, however for lightweight power to weight ratio and reliability on portable machinery nothing comes close. I have a 'Tondu Pro' brushcutter (powerhead made by Kawasaki) it's over thirty years old and still starts 'first pull'. Now this isn't some tool that is used three months of the year to trim the lawn. I use it all year round for cutting bedding, small trees and heather. Sure my mates Honda four stroke sounds lovely and is a joy to use, but with a nylon camshaft and none adjustable valves how long will it last? As for two stroke outboard motors, far far superior if you can afford the petrol, more torque, more reliable, lighter and far less complicated. Also, if you're a commercial user you can still buy them  Wink

Cheers, Paul 

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »

Hello Stan

Black + Decker GLC3630L20-QW Lithium 36 V

I paid about 130 euros pre Brexit

Mrs T uses it which I fully encourage  Grin

Worth the money just to lower the blood pressure not having to start the 2 stroke.
Given with joy to our neighbour when we moved .
The B&D does  good half hour between charges.

Kidwelly South Wales
TDH

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »

Ahh the pig to start issue....

While slightly off topic to your specific question.

I have lots of 2 and 4 stroke tools and found that if I do not run it until it uses all its fuel the I get starting issues the next time.
Seems the UK sh1te petrol congeals in the carb jets and ends up as a white solid sitting in the jet. A quick carb strip and poke with fine wire and clean petrol seems to fix every time. No issues since ensuring I run every last drop of fuel out.

Also YouTube is good for the staring procedure for each tool as they all differ a little.

Just a thought as there is always a reason an engine won't start and look to find first if poss. Not always easy to get at the flywheel on some of these things.

Good luck with it.

Ps ethanol in petrol means using within a month of buying it these days.

4kw solar pv,
solar switch to immersion heater.
SF Rayburn cooker only (wood only)
Hunter log burner
Oxdale TM400 log splitter
Stihl MS210 saw
Strong Wife
Greenbeast

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »

Ahh the pig to start issue....

While slightly off topic to your specific question.

I have lots of 2 and 4 stroke tools and found that if I do not run it until it uses all its fuel the I get starting issues the next time.
Seems the UK sh1te petrol congeals in the carb jets and ends up as a white solid sitting in the jet. A quick carb strip and poke with fine wire and clean petrol seems to fix every time. No issues since ensuring I run every last drop of fuel out.

Also YouTube is good for the staring procedure for each tool as they all differ a little.

Just a thought as there is always a reason an engine won't start and look to find first if poss. Not always easy to get at the flywheel on some of these things.

Good luck with it.

Ps ethanol in petrol means using within a month of buying it these days.

indeed, upon having my 'saw serviced he said to empty the tank and then rerun the machine till it exhausts the remaining fuel
I've since gone electric for the saw but use this method on the strimmer
TDH

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »

Greenbeast

Yes a mate has a stihl 10 or 12 inch battery chainsaw, wow what a tool and a 3 or 4KWH (?) battery give about 20 mins on hardwood and a bit longer on soft wood.

As ever the trouble is that I am now invested in petrol engines and it's a waste to change to all electric until they break.

4kw solar pv,
solar switch to immersion heater.
SF Rayburn cooker only (wood only)
Hunter log burner
Oxdale TM400 log splitter
Stihl MS210 saw
Strong Wife
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: