navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feed in Tariff Scheme - Meter Inspection  (Read 4100 times)
JR

« on: September 05, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »

I received a letter from G4S, addressed to someone who did not live here!  Then I received a letter addressed to me saying G4S had been out to my property to inspect the generation meter but unfortunately they were unable to gain access.  (I also received an email stating they had tried to gain access, after I had made the appointment).

I rang Scottish Power and they verified the letter and arranged an appointment for Friday, 2 September between 12 - 4 pm.  I was then asked to work that day 7.30 - 11.30 am.  Late afternoon I tried to speak to Scottish Power and couldnt get hold of anyone so spoke to G4S.  I did want to ask why they had tried to read my meter without arranging a date and time.  He said the letter was just a standard letter.  He could not totally rearrange the appointment, he could make it an evening one or to the next day on a Saturday and those times were not good for me.  He said, if they could not gain access between 12 - 4 pm, they would come later so we left it at that. 

I rush home to find a card stating they had tried to gain access at 9.45 am.  What a joke!  The appointment was between 12 - 4 pm!  I wrote the reading on a card and stuck it on the front door.  I have no idea if the G4S Meter Inspector called back and made a note of the reading.  I thought the whole idea was for them to gain access and come inside and check out the generation meter.

Recently npower wanted a meter reading and I left it on the door and Meter Plus popped a standard card through "thank you for taking the time to give us your meter reading. We'll forward the details to your supplier".  So at least the customer is aware the reading has been noted, whereas I have no idea with G4S!
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »

I have 2 fit systems with BG. I recently rang them regarding missing payment cheques which they said was down to a web error. They said I was due for a meter read and I made an appointment for the following week.

Within 30mins  of ending the call someone called round to read the meter, but only one. He took a photo of the other on my suggestion in case he then got a call to read the other.

The following week, at said appointment time, some one else came round to read the other one!!

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tiff

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »

It's not about getting a reading, its a check for fraud so they need to visually inspect the meter.

Some companies try to make it sound nicer by saying its a 'safety inspection' which is complete BS.

Ofgem rules mean the FIT provider is obliged to carry out these checks every 2 years. I've had my meter inspected twice now.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »

We've had 2 Gen meter inspections now; fraud prevention I think

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
skyewright

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »

AIUI they are required to take a 'real' reading of the TGM at least every 2 years?
My end of July payment from SSE was held up because they didn't have one. That despite it being their fault they didn't have one (their meter reader didn't turn up for either of 2 booked appointments earlier this year, which ended up boosting things by 2 x 30 service agreement failures, so not all bad).
Today, a meter reader turned up and I'm assured the payment will be released...

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Tiff

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:01:31 PM »

AIUI they are required to take a 'real' reading of the TGM at least every 2 years?
My end of July payment from SSE was held up because they didn't have one. That despite it being their fault they didn't have one (their meter reader didn't turn up for either of 2 booked appointments earlier this year, which ended up boosting things by 2 x 30 service agreement failures, so not all bad).
Today, a meter reader turned up and I'm assured the payment will be released...

Yes, Ofgem rules. If Ted is around I'll bet he will have a link handy to the latest version of guidence notes - I think its up to version 8 now?
RIT

South West London

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »

I also had fun and gains with G4S as one of their guys just turned up on the door step and asked for access to my meter without anything having been scheduled. All I could do was ask if be had brought along his own ladder as at 8pm on a wet night I had no plans to go and dig mine out of the shed. He was not happy (well it was raining) and asked if he could come back the following day. He did not re-appear for about 3 weeks, again without any notice.

All in all this company could not organize you know what in a brewery.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
TheFairway
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »

Ive never ever had appointments made for meter readings, i think its pretty standard practice and has been for donkeys years.

Occasionally they get me when im in, sometimes i get a note to say they missed me, or if the meter reader has visited before and remembers where the meter is, i just get a bill with an actual rather than estimated or customer reading.

I realise that for some people a meter is not that accessible or even inside the property (mine is outside but not straight forward), for the majority if a meter can be read without any customer involvement, then the meter reading people will work to that by default, or visit on the offchance someone is around instead of making a special visit, and for others make exceptional arrangements, or not.
Tiff

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »

The vast majority of FIT meters are in secure locations and will need the homeowner to grant access - garages and lofts etc.

Both times when they inspected mine they got lucky and I just happpened to be at home - no appointment, they just turned up. The guy who did it said he had driven 45 minutes from his last meter, I asked what would have happened if I was not home - he said come back another day and try again! I said a quick phone call or email could save a lot of wasted travelling time and expense!
M

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »

G4S are fun. having been told by EDF I need my TGM's read or could have FiT payments suspended, I contacted EDF and accepted the 'in 3 weeks time' appointment.

I then got caught out helping a friend find their dog, whilst walking my pooch, and despite waddling rapidly home, got there at 12.10 (for the 12-6pm) appointment, and found a card saying, called at 12.05pm.

No probs, rang the number on it quickly to catch the bod before they could get too far away. But G4S said they had no record of any appointment for me. I pointed out that EDF, myself, and their meter reader were aware of it.

Unfortunately, since they didn't know who'd come out, and the bod hadn't filled in the 'meter readers reference' bit on the G4S card (and it was my fault) I went back to EDF (G4S couldn't help me) and arranged another 'in 3 weeks time' appointment, for 12-6pm.

By 5pm (and concerned that staff would go home) I rang them to just double check when meter reader bod would be arriving. They said we'll check. They rang back and said meter reader wasn't given date and time, sorry, so isn't coming.

Asked them to make a new appointment, but they said I had to contact EDF again, I said ...... ahhhhhh come on, so they said if I raise a complaint, they'll be able to arrange a new appointment, so I said ok, let's do that.

3 mins later I walked up the stairs, doggy started barking at the front door, I walked down the stairs and opened the door to the meter reader bod. Basically, once they told him, he realised he lived round the corner from me, so just popped over! Meters read, job done, doggy fussed, nice guy.

So what did I learn. I could spend nearly 2 months trying to get the TGM's read by contacting folk all over the country, or alternatively I could walk upstairs, open the velux window and shout 'Oi Bob, can you read my meters please, kettles on and doggy ready for a belly rub!'  Grin

Mart.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:15:55 AM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
JR

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:01 PM »

We all seem to have a tale to tell!

What I forgot to mention is G4S said the meter inspection person would phone first and let me know they were on the way but also to check I was in first.  There was no phone call as I did a 1471 when I got in - no-one had phoned.  The mind boggles!
pontiff

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »

Coming up to six years of FITS and nobody has checked my meter (EDF).
Iain

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »

Hi
I have just moved my TG meter outside, to allow them to read it when they do the other meters, they kept knocking and asking for access.
It has its own little enclosure above the main meter box. I have even put a triangular key lock on it so the standard key works.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: