navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my first powercut in 9 years  (Read 15663 times)
camillitech

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »

Aye Billi, pretty sure a new 48V Victron would supply all your needs as EB says. Have you considered an Outback though? They have a great forum and boards are readily available, along with YouTube videos on how to change them. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Victron but if anything fails on an Outback you know it's not going to cost more than 469 and you can easily DIY. The control board is only 275 and they are really easy to change. After all, these were the guys behind Trace and Midnite Solar, if anyone knows about 'off grid' they do.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »

Aye Scruff someone suggested that method to me, good to see it works, I just fitted a small MCB that I throw before reconnecting the large battery cables or re inserting the fuse.

That gives me an idea. Wiring an incandescent 120v ~60w filament lamp in series to the MCB on the inverter side would work as a soft start indicator light. Same principle as a alternator charge light it'll illuminate when the caps are discharged because of the potential difference, then it'll dim and extinguish when the inverter is precharged.
You would be putting the load through the filament though which is less than ideal, so limited service life but how often do we need to use it...
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »

we are just fine on a 3000 24 70, never tripped, even with chop saw or immersion element, just not all at same time!!
with new software you can now gridtie the multi so maybe use with a gti? during extra input capacity?

Sure ,  thats a method as well  get a GTI to   and feed AC  to the  house via  the PV ( 1.6 panel needs a charge-controller anyway )  during the day , the windturbine is mainly Ac coupled already , the waterturbine i guess needs then  converted/rectified  from AC 230 Volt into DC  and a GTI is needed

My current Victron is up for that 

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Scruff

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »

How is your water turnip converted to 24V Billi? You could go 24VAC to 48VAC easily with a 1:2 transformer. You could change the plugs/sockets on a site safety transformer perhaps and power it reverse to convention....feed 24VAC in the "110V" side getting 48VAC out the "230V" side.
Some losses...cheep and cheerful though, change the rectifier...jobs a good 'un.

PS you technically never had a power cut because your battery is still working...just a service interruption.  Grin

Scruff.
eabadger

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »

billi,
without the second victron you can use power save mode overnight, i find it gives the batteries a rest and seem more healthy, maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
could you not use the victron to start the generator if extra power required?

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »

true Scruff ,   i still had  a lot of power in the batteries  ... Grin

The 230 Volt  china turbine is  connected to a "transformer" built from a  24 volt inverter  (was a present from a friend )  , so 230 volt  travel 300 metre and near battery converted in 24 V DC

I tried to wire her  direct in to AC in   and as well AC coupled  her  , but there were some disharmony happening  both ways ... so got this transformer made up

Eabadger ,
could you not use the victron to start the generator if extra power required?
no , i  went through that  in the past  and was never happy with that idea  to let the generator run while high demand in the house  and did not like the idea that generator power was switched trough the Victrons direct to the loads

Not an option i want to crwl back to

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
eabadger

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

re the transformer you just need a 230 48 one now then? i assume the current one is 230 24 then.
the transformers in the faulty victron should be 230 24, this with your curent one in series would give you the 48v, does the victron transformer have multiple tappings they may use the transformer for 48v versions?

how do you run the victron generator setup then? i leave it in power assist when on smaller generator but bypass to house when on big generator, other than the blip when i wasnt here, i am very happy with victron, but early days, hoping it lasts longer than 9 years though.
i keep the w7 powerstar inverter for emergencies and future use as a dump load.
i also have another spare inverter, i hate no plan b, was unhappy over the last year with only one very old generator in running order.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

when i started  , i only had a  generator the 2 victrons  and a battery  for the first year , i was reading a lot and was fasinated  from the idea to  run a generator only a coupple of hours a day  and then , power the home with inverter battery power  only for the rest of the day , sure Wind and PV later was on the radar

Today i find it much more relaxed to have  enough PV and waterpower , to  not needing a generator    as a main element only on occasions

Like said i ship my 24 volt gear  away and find out  , and then decide if i go for 48 volt option

the system was operating after a long learning curve and a lot of fun   , flawlessly , my mistake not to check   connections and battery  , i still think this  gave a lot of stress to the gear

Billi

Scruff

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2016, 03:09:36 PM »

the transformers in the faulty victron should be 230 24, this with your curent one in series would give you the 48v

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »

As per oztules Scruff,
                     24v done in series=48v and 230ac done in parallel ?  
                                                            Biff
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:25:32 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »

yep, but not 0v 24v 48v more like 24v ov 24v so 48v ac between two secondary.

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »

spot on, and yes biff parallel primary and series secondary power would be limited to the lowest power one, or if either have variable taps you could possible up output with just one.

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »

Do you have to change anything on the circuit  board,?
                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »

More better?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:48:36 PM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »

spot on

Grin I removed post while you were typing, fluffed the primary on the Mark 2 drawing...kept thinking centre taps...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: