navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my first powercut in 9 years  (Read 14947 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »

I am wondering if my meters are calibrated to handle the different amps and volts,
              If this is a worker, It would be an excellent move for Billi,
    The extra copper in the extra transformer would never heat up as much as the single one.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2016, 04:02:58 PM »

Do you have to change anything on the circuit  board,?
                                             Biff

There is no spoon Biff, all we want are the traffos. Turnip -> traffo -> rectifier -> battery -> diversion

...unless I'm missing something.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »

No You are not missing much,
   As it is, i could adapt one of my low frequency heavy iron core inverters but the truth is, I have never known one of them to break down. I did blow a 48volt 1 kw baby some months ago but never
   a 120volt one.
   I have a large heavyweight utility power( X ESB) UPS which can alternate between 24 volt and 48volt. It is laden with goodies, multiple transformers and god knows what. I am sure that
   I could configure it to perform in 120volts. I must dig it out, Take a pic and show you the inside.
                                                                                                       Biff
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:55:30 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »

Methinks my first drawing is correct if you imagine the secondary taps inverting at 50hz. Conventionally not right though fight
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:13:32 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »

I am wondering if my meters are calibrated to handle the different amps and volts,

What do you mean by that Mr Biff?
eabadger

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »

hi scruf on ac the cycle means that the two outputs have the pd potential difference of the total output not 0v and high v.
that is why those yellow site transformers are used, in theory the output voltage complies with low voltage as either leg is less than 55v. it is only the uk that seems to use them.
in usa and me mains voltage is not phase nuetral but phase to phase, my power is 120v 120v giving a potential difference of 208v, due to being three phase split.
if you look at a sinewave of ac power imagine the lowest part being half of output and next highest being half again, add them together to get the PD.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2016, 06:29:42 PM »

Hi scruff,
       My amps and volts are digital, in Billi,s case, he is stepping up to 48volts,
       if his volts are set to work within a certain parameter,then he would have to reset them somehow,?
      In my own case, I am staying 120volts going parallel in both 230 and 120v, so I should be ok.
      See what I mean,?
                                           Biff

Scruff

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »

I know what you mean Steve I was taking 0V to be a reflection to the earth referenced phase (even though I indicated it on the phase output). I was also being lazy and simplifying it to square waveform. For wiring purposes it works as indicated. I know it is not right and thanks for indicating so. To be honest I was mostly inferring where to stick the meter probes.

ELV AC is <50V, LV AC is <1000V....ah Cunningham's law... tomatosplat
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:33:14 PM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »

Ah Yes,cunning, Cunningham,s law.
                           Actually I feel a little better about all this now. I have been doing this all along and nobody named a law after me,
                                                            Biff

Scruff

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2016, 02:57:26 AM »

hi scruf on ac the cycle means that the two outputs have the pd potential difference of the total output not 0v and high v.

I've fallen befowl of Cunningham myself to myself...

You're right Steve when approaching the rectifier it's important to have phases indicated as such or it'll be very confusing.

Are electric brakes (phase shorting switches) recommended for hydro turnips?

Hi scruff,
       My amps and volts are digital,

Huh I don't get you. They're moving electrons.

in Billi,s case, he is stepping up to 48volts,
       if his volts are set to work within a certain parameter,then he would have to reset them somehow,?

Transduce. Yes.

In my own case, I am staying 120volts going parallel in both 230 and 120v, so I should be ok.
      See what I mean,?
                                           Biff

Two Site safety transformers? (With centre taps for 4 x 55V).
You could also look for a centre tapped isolation transformer.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:06:00 AM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »

Thanks for that Scruff,
                 "My amps and volts are digital"   What I meant was that they register by digital meters and of course they are calibrated to record the present power outputs
          An additional transformer would perhaps mean different calibration was necessary.
                                                                          Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »

.... thanks  turbine is rated 1.1 kw   , but most , in several  configurations , i saw was  only close to  800 watt

With rectifying the 230 Volt  AC turbine into  DC   and then feed a GTI  to AC couple her is  probably another option

But as said , i have not decided  yet if i switch over to 48 Volt !  My windturbine is 24 Volt as well (witha 600 watt GTI parallel to the chargecontroler and dump load )

I will wait until i know if  the broken unit is repairable

Thanks

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »

With rectifying the 230 Volt  AC turbine into  DC   and then feed a GTI  to AC couple her is  probably another option

Thanks

Billi

Not sure how that'll work Billi, perhaps Scruff could comment, your turbine output is only single phase, don't think a regular rectifier will work. I know you do get single phase rectifiers though, just a thought, always good to learn from a master  genuflect

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
eabadger

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »

half wave rectification would require just one diode, but gti may not like output, what is maximum dc voltage? if you put a full wave rectifier (4 diodes) on it and i would advise an electrolytic capacitor to smooth it out you would have a dc voltage of about 345v dc too high?

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2016, 11:50:51 AM »

I am not sure Paul either ,  but  before i got my waterturbine i think it was Ivan who  mentioned that i can rectify  the turbine ....

as well on another forum a Germann Hydro power forum  ( i think you were there as well )  the main guy said  that  for a 110 Volt  China AC single phase  turbine it is possible  to rectify  and feed a Mppt chargecontroller  like the Outback  (110 Volt  because to stay under the VoC limit)
So i assume   i can  feed a GTI

Might be nonsense what i say ...... fingers crossed!      ,... Scruff ?

But   i have  the 24 volt transformer anyway  so i just can  attach a 22-60 volt china  GTI if i want to AC-couple

Plenty of options , but  i  am a bit out of technical routine  , but have time now to recall  some grey cells , cause system  does work  cool at the moment

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: