navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunny Island frequency 'blip'  (Read 4903 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 09:23:44 PM »

Paul,
     I promise never to say another bad word about your land rover, I know when I am beat.
     As for the Symmetra, You have to admit it is a clever piece of kit, even for me,
     So it was rather decent of me to wade in as you put it because you never know, you might want to buy mine when you upgrade to 120 volts.
     I was just letting you know it was there.,The modules are an absolutely brilliant idea. Someday some one else might adopt the idea and the
     trouble shooting screen that pinpoints the fault and tells you exactly what to do. Lord but it is hard to be humble. I do get carried away.
     Now if there is any other requests for help,don,t hesitate to ask.
     I have a spare Chinese Inverter and Controller, a ,nice shade of grey with the little guy smiling at you from the dash.They don,t do frequency shifting
     They just sit on the shelf year after year delivering good quality service.
        I forgive ya for saying that, I switch back and forth between the Symmetra and the Chinese baby ,
       I forgive ya for saying that I have been lowering my turbine too often when I know,
       that you have lowered your a lot more than I have lower mine,  :ballspinSo we are friends, Right,?
                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »

Paul,
     I promise never to say another bad word about your land rover, I know when I am beat.
     As for the Symmetra, You have to admit it is a clever piece of kit, even for me,
     So it was rather decent of me to wade in as you put it because you never know, you might want to buy mine when you upgrade to 120 volts.
     I was just letting you know it was there.,The modules are an absolutely brilliant idea. Someday some one else might adopt the idea and the
     trouble shooting screen that pinpoints the fault and tells you exactly what to do. Lord but it is hard to be humble. I do get carried away.
     Now if there is any other requests for help,don,t hesitate to ask.
     I have a spare Chinese Inverter and Controller, a ,nice shade of grey with the little guy smiling at you from the dash.They don,t do frequency shifting
     They just sit on the shelf year after year delivering good quality service.
        I forgive ya for saying that, I switch back and forth between the Symmetra and the Chinese baby ,
       I forgive ya for saying that I have been lowering my turbine too often when I know,
       that you have lowered your a lot more than I have lower mine,  :ballspinSo we are friends, Right,?
                                                       Biff

We is always pals Biff  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »

fingers crossed!

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »

I'm right up there with you Biff on 120V, just not until someone makes a proper 'off grid' inverter/charger in that range. We have UPS systems on the ferry of 400VDC and 750VDC, fantastic bits of kit, but I'll not be using those in a hurry, even when they are replaced 'as a matter of course' at 5 and 10 years. 15kVA and 600kVA respectively  Shocked I got one of the APC 2200W units recently from the internet server cabinet. Fine piece of Indian kit it is and weighs a ton, I'm sure it'll run most 'off grid' properties with a decent bank and charger added. It's  'free to a good home' for anyone that can be fecked collecting it from IV40  Grin

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
heatherhopper

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 11:27:25 PM »

Eric - with all this goodwill flowing around now can I just add that no offense at all was taken by me. Good information is good information even if I did receive it standing to attention Smiley

Small fair in the context but I think I now know why my Boiler clock has always been wrong. Irrelevant to the operation though it is it very occasionally irked me in passing.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Scruff

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 01:37:22 AM »

camillitech

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »

Methinks the problem lies with the Aurora and not the SI, its parameters are just too 'tight'. Had a real blow last night, great heaves from the south and it was 'dropping out' all the time. The frequency only needs to go over 50.49 for the Aurora to 'loose the grid'. This puzzles me greatly as I'm sure I widened that parameter some time ago with the 'Unique code' that allows you to do this kind of stuff. Anyway until I can delve into it deeper I've reverted back to the SMA WB6000 GTI which is running fine. Pretty sure if I can alter those parameters on the Aurora I can revert back to that GTI.

I know that it's not a transformer/transformer less issue as I'm running a Solis GTI transformer less inverter on my Powerspout for Ecoinnovation in NZ and Hugh at Scoraig. That inverter never drops out, even with the generator running and it too is G83/2 compliant. Just a thought perhaps that's part of the issue, the Aurora is Irish spec, perhaps they have tighter parameters  Huh

Hmmmmm, must look into the specs, but now I've some brakes to fix  Undecided

Cheers, Paul

Scruff

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »

Natch.... Grin..

On frequency sagging; my single-to three phase transwave converter works quite happily on lathe or mill, but is a bit 'lumpy' when starting. If I already have one motor running, switching in a second motor is instant start, because the first motor provides an effective local 'flywheel', that holds the frequency and voltage steady.
For your application, would it be worth putting a single-phase non-loaded induction motor at the end of the line to provide a waveform and frequency stabiliser?
(just musing...)
camillitech

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »

Natch.... Grin..

On frequency sagging; my single-to three phase transwave converter works quite happily on lathe or mill, but is a bit 'lumpy' when starting. If I already have one motor running, switching in a second motor is instant start, because the first motor provides an effective local 'flywheel', that holds the frequency and voltage steady.
For your application, would it be worth putting a single-phase non-loaded induction motor at the end of the line to provide a waveform and frequency stabiliser?
(just musing...)

One of the first things I tried Scruff, though I have to confess at using mainly resistive loads and a heat pump, perhaps the results would have been different with my saw bench  Huh

Pretty sure the problem lies within the Aurora which seems to have defaulted to Irish EN50438 or whatever that is. The G83 spec is a much wider range, over 51Hz so 50.6Hz shouldn't be an issue. Need to get Willie G's oscilloscope 'on the case' but for now the WB6000 is belting it out smoothly.

Cheers, Paul

Scruff

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 05:37:03 PM »

Methinks it needs to be an synchronous motor to hold true to the theory P.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: