navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork Lift batteries -worth buying?  (Read 17754 times)
odbob

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »

Thanks for your replies, but am still somewhat confused Undecided, as a for instance what's the point of sg meters if they are so inaccurate ?, why do we need to check sg ?, what happens if the acid portion is lower than it should be?.

I think that I will purchase some sulphuric acid and add small amounts to the cells in an attempt to bring the sg count closer to that which it should be, ie 1.280

I have read the label on these cells and contrary to my earlier posts, they are 24 years old this month Smiley

camillitech

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »

I have read the label on these cells and contrary to my earlier posts, they are 24 years old this month Smiley

Hi OB if they are 24 years old I wouldnae waste your money on sulphuric acid and have MI5 looking for you on the assumption that your using it to make expolsives Grin, As far as the hydrometer goes it's beyond me why they're all cr*p and I've often wondered, as far as their purpose in life goes on allot of batteries nowadays the terminals are in the casing so you can't measure individual voltages also I find that you can take an SG reading whilst the battery is still under charge whereas voltage readings need to be off charge and settled for a while.With many renewable energy systems they can be charging for allot of the time. my wind turbine has been dumping 2kw since wednesday morning Shocked

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Bob

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 07:12:09 AM »

Morning Paul

What explosive do you make with Sulphuric?  Nitric - Oh Yes!! angel

Bob,

24 years is a long time.  How big are they and how easy are they to drain?  Any chance of a pic?

Possible method.

Drain cells
Fill with very how saturated solution of EDTA
Allow to cool and stand for a week
Rince with distilled water
Rince again and again.
Refill with new acid
Curse me for suggesting this plan!

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
odbob

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »

Bob, you saw these before on my web site    www.myhomeenergy.co.uk   they're similar to yours, it's yourself that suggested I look for a grey strip at the bottom, which I have got Sad

They seem to be doing a good job and so I don't necessarily want to do too much to them, but having obtained an sg meter, am now worried that the sg is far too low at 1.220 average at fully charged state, having read all the various comments I'm now inclined to top up with acid water mix which I can obtain from my local battery supplier, this solution is already mixed to sg 1.280

Thanks for your advice but it sounds far to complicated and messy Embarrassed

No one has wished them happy birth month Sad

I am hoping they will last me until the rules are relaxed with regard to grid connection and until inverters become more affordable

Bob

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »

When I got my big ones they had a low SG.  I topped them up with concentrated sulphuric (hat, mask, gloves, plastic coat, wellies, buckets of water handy).  That worked really well.  Takes a while as you have to do it in stages.

Paulh_Boats

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »

List,

You can calibrate hydrometers with distilled water; they should read 1.000 at room temperature.
So if they read 1.05 in distilled water then subtract 0.05 from all the acid readings you take.

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
camillitech

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2008, 09:58:44 PM »

Morning Paul

What explosive do you make with Sulphuric?  Nitric - Oh Yes!! angel

Bob,

Roll Eyes A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I'd make a lousy terrorist Bob  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Shay

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »

You do realise Bob that you have probably have been tagged by CIA/Homeland Security software and a Jack Bower type operative is in your back garden! Grin
Bob

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »

Hi Shay,

Then he had better tell Chloe that "there isn't much time!"  I hope he brought his wellies, it's been raining for 24 hours and the river's high.

I don't like 24 but my beloved and daughter are addicts.  They have them all on DVD  Sad

odbob

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »

I have now purchased 1260 acid mix, 25 litres ( can't buy neat acid ) and will now remove some of the old mix and replace it with this, the sg will not be sufficient, but better than before, I will use the remainder over a period of time, topping up instead of using my distilled water.

Oh and to an earlier posting re sg meters being inacurate, I have now tested mine ( a 1.99 jobby from the local car spares man ) in this new solution and it reads more or less 1260, good enough for me

Bob

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2008, 07:20:05 AM »

Where did you try to get the acid?

I find that printing a purchase invoice from (Bob's Battery Service plc) an heading off down to the nearest chemical supplier normally works.

odbob

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2008, 12:04:22 PM »

Bob, good idea, but too late for my purchase, I just got it from my local battery supplier, it'll do the job to a degree, and certainly the end result will be better than before so I'm OK with this, thanks for your help

Bob, ( Odbob )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: