navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can anyone suggest a cheap storage solution for 18650 batts please.  (Read 7183 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: October 12, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »

preferably off the shelf.

From what i've seen the actually silly not overly strong plastic boxes are overpriced junk, so not keen to go down that route.
I've another 6+ Samsungs arriving for a quid (& an e-credit for a quid) & need to store in the meantime, (as well as for future collections prior to use).

However routing out a couple of polyprop cutting boards my be entertained shortly when I finally replace them (serrated hollow blade cheese knife is my favourite offal cutter for prepping dogs hearts (hearts FOR dogs, ..though i've been tempted)  whistlie

cheers

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Scruff
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »

oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »

Search on epay for 18650 battery holder and take your pick.  Off the shelf, but in China, mostly.  The choice is yours.  10 cell plastic for about £2.50, cell spacers or block holders, pouches, individual silicone covers, etc all there for you to choose or get ideas from.

Some are junk, some quite useful.  But don't expect RR quality for peanuts.
MR GUS

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »

Thanks guys!

The black plastic mesh type looks ideal, however i'll take a look on fleabay too, I try not to do buisness with them these days.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »

I'll be needing some of those GUS. The local computer repair shop gave me 2 dozen used laptop batteries for the asking. I've cracked them open to recover the 18650 batteries. The rule is, do not attempt to charge any battery which has fallen below 3.0 Volts. Recycle them. To my amazement I've only had to recycle 44 of them. 93 batteries are fit for further experimentation, the vast majority sitting between 3.76V and 3.92V.
I've got to buy a quality charger now. Any recommendations anyone?
Stan
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:51:57 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »

I did the same as you. You need one of these to test the capacity after charging. you will find some are good as new and some are useless. If anyone has noticed a bag of old laptop batteries goes for a small fortune nowadays on ebay. 24 batteries would have easily fetched 50/60 pounds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Capacity-Tester-Discharge-Meter-Digital-Display-Resistor-ZB2L3-/252561172542?hash=item3acdd1a83e:g:7ZMAAOSw4shX~NRL

* s-l1600.jpg (77.09 KB, 800x800 - viewed 744 times.)

MR GUS

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »

Join AMZ review trader & improve your chance of getting brand new samsungs for £1.00 (prime membership required).
https://www.amzreviewtrader.com

I'm just applying for every new set of laptop batteries & happy when I get em. the last stock I got was only a few months old from production (checked the battery details) worth banging in a few key words to try & snag some.

OK with the batteries i'm moving at a much slower pace but you can't moan if /when you get em so cheap!

..TBH though I have no idea what to do with the small 300 watt modified sine wave inverter I got for 22p the other day.

I've also joined another review site (still required for non Amazon.com countries is the disclaimer of receiving freebie / discount), the new site I'll use pretty much exclusively as a raffle prize feed for my local cub hut.

This one, https://uk.testzon.com/ (start slow for raffle prizes & work upward), you get a "point" per transaction to up your reputation, AMZ used to be word count based but dropped that with 3rd Oct 2016 rule changes.

Ok, so the batteries come in dribs & drabs but they're nice bonuses when they do.

Stann, what are you planning?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:34:49 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »

Roger, thankyou for pointing me to that device.
GUS, at the moment I only plan to solder them into a larger battery. I have a healthy respect for them already as there were some pops and sparks during the disassembly process, only when I was careless.
Laptop batteries usually contain 6 of these cells but sometimes 4 or even 8. Often, giving the plastic capsule a hefty twist will cause the 2 halves to shear and separate, but not always.
Before this excursion, I had no idea that 18650 batteries were so much a part of the vaping scene!
The link below has been put together to protect those using these, and other, lithium-ion batteries.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?235164-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:05:28 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
MR GUS

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »

Yes, thanks also for the link Rog! ..i'll come find that when I need it in earnest.

Stann, Vaping seems to have really "lifted" the 18650 battery into public awareness, pricewise that can only help folk long term, but right now I don't know what to think.

Lets have a blow by blow "battery bunkum" forum tech thread when you get a moment Stann   Grin ..you can stop me from going wrong  fingers crossed! #crossedthestreams
have you ordered your Tesla die-cut sticker yet as the crowning piece !?

..cheap enough project & re-use of materials to make even our teutonic terror  Wink Billi  happy  I hope! ..just ribbing you Billi

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Sean

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »

Any recommendations anyone?
Stan

Join the diy PowerWall group on fb ....

MR GUS

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »

Sean,

Much as I despise gossip-space-face whats the bladdy linky old son!?

I will sully the "group" with my presence & take a look ...I imagine Lord frotter holds court there.

Shame it didn't come over here for discussion! (but we'd have had to bound & gagged Billi)  Grin

List, did anyone hear the piece this morning on Radio 4 about fusion energy in vs out!? ..I would have taken note but I was mopping up p155 from my beloved leaky boxer b1tch who is on her last legs (sigh) another one! twas about 8.30 / 9.30 as I recall.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:46:49 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »

Stann, list ..a few more listings for those samsung Li-po's x6 for a quid. (flat caps)

they approved within 5 days, worth a try! ..or apply & send em to me (help a fella out *cough* ) typically there's th 5200 packs / the 7800 packs ...anyone with prime, feel free to give it a go! https://www.amzreviewtrader.com key word "Lenoge" / "18650" (Lenoge are Anker).

No spam & no care

depended on your review standing previously, now not so much, plus the brand has nothing in the way of reviews for items so are pretty desperate t see a few stars & the sales algorithm move briskly upwards!  Wink

details on my last lot were...
 ICR18650-26J M
SAMSUNG SDIEM
TGS3
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:26:54 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Sean

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »

Are you accurately capacity testing ?

That "tester" linked recently here won't give repeatable results, and is as accurate as the provided load, which is obviously temperature sensitive - it'll do as a go/no go test but is useless for capacity testing.

FB search will reveal the link to that group, knock quietly and you might be allowed in.

Having now processed a lot of used laptop packs (well over 1000) and a few new power banks and "bargain" 18650s I can confirm that the only economic source of usable cells is used packs from quality manufacturers - don't waste your time with those cheap massive capacity banks or any bargain cells - they'll be fine if you just want to run a few LEDs

I've got many many 100s of sub 1500mAh cells which aren't suitable for my use available for uplift if anyone is passing.
MR GUS

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 08:58:37 AM »

Me?
 Right now i'm collecting, with a view to a larg(er) micro powerbank for a light & kindle charger for the daughters room (when I say micro I am of course meaning not a powerwall just a solar fed battery bank for my kid in excess of 80,000 mAh + for her bedroom to sip from.

The not faffing about scenario is precisely why I am aiming at new cells, get the knowledge down pat then work towards a larger unit that the wife & nipper can do simple math of energy "take" from, rather than raping it energy-wise, thereafter another for the front room. with a big panel (sort of thing)

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
smegal

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »

Sean,

Much as I despise gossip-space-face whats the bladdy linky old son!?

I will sully the "group" with my presence & take a look ...I imagine Lord frotter holds court there.

Shame it didn't come over here for discussion! (but we'd have had to bound & gagged Billi)  Grin

List, did anyone hear the piece this morning on Radio 4 about fusion energy in vs out!? ..I would have taken note but I was mopping up p155 from my beloved leaky boxer b1tch who is on her last legs (sigh) another one! twas about 8.30 / 9.30 as I recall.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/diypowerwalls/

The page has an Australian focus, but they REALLY like 1850 batteries.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: