navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can anyone suggest a cheap storage solution for 18650 batts please.  (Read 7182 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »

thanks, i'm in.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »

update: received the outstanding pack yesterday, approved for another this morning, ...anyone else after a few packs I suggest you follow my lead  Wink

I know its not many in the scale of things, but items to play with that are fresh in the (anti-static) wrapper!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?420139-Test-Review-of-Samsung-ICR18650-26J-2600mAh-(Pink)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:42:52 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »

I'll be needing some of those GUS. The local computer repair shop gave me 2 dozen used laptop batteries for the asking. I've cracked them open to recover the 18650 batteries. The rule is, do not attempt to charge any battery which has fallen below 3.0 Volts. Recycle them. To my amazement I've only had to recycle 44 of them. 93 batteries are fit for further experimentation, the vast majority sitting between 3.76V and 3.92V.
I've got to buy a quality charger now. Any recommendations anyone?
Stan

Whilst not a tester my VC4 (xtar uk website, for a lead to the genuine ones on big river) as recommended by other renewable nerks  hysteria here, has done me proud, plus the guy who runs it is actually knowledgeable not a mere re-seller, worthy of the sale! https://www.xtardirect.co.uk/

ALSO there is apre-order for the new xtar VP4 PLUS DRAGON Charger (shipping should be now)
https://www.xtardirect.com/products/xtar-vp4-plus-dragon-charger

Pleasing to many folk, ..it has probes

XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus is specifically designed for people pursuing the ultimate lithium-ion battery charger. There are four main functions of the VP4 PLUS DRAGON: battery pack and lithium-ion battery charger, refresh/test modes, battery internal resistance test, USB output. It can intelligently distribute power when charging your 11.1V/3s battery packs, Li-ion/Ni-MH batteries and USB mobile devices simultaneously. DRAGON can also precisely test the capacity, voltage, and internal resistance of batteries. DRAGON isn't just a charger, but it's your personal battery doctor.

Includes:

- VP4 Plus charger
- 12V/3A adapter
- Pair of probes
- 3A car adapter
- Charger pouch
- Manual
- Warranty card

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:29:45 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »

This guy https://syonyk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/zb2l3-v20-zhiyu-battery-tester.html  has run his rule over the ZB2L3 battery discharger which Rogeriko brought to our attention. He finds it to be quite flexible in use. I had one delivered along with a quality 4-bay battery holder. I tried a few batteries briefly today but must wait for an Efest 4-bay charger to arrive. The quality of the discharger really pleased me.

My efforts at soldering wire to terminals are disappointing and I think that I must up my game. Can I spend my way to better-quality soldering?
Stan

This is his test of the ZB206 which he likes. https://syonyk.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/zb206-battery-tester.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:43:32 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
MR GUS

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »

I'm currently keeping my new stash in anti-static bags having broken them out & charged, will invest in a secondary charger because 4 channels just doesn't cut it currently.

Another 3 potential batt sets arriving due to the apple macs, ..how much does everything change when you start whipping out FLAT cell polymer ion packs for re-use?

I have no idea how many to stop at before I start, i'm guessing a good round 100, (whatever makes a nice standard block as per beginners on that pain to use FB scroll down,  ..honestly why the "attraction" of FB forums? it sucks having to press buttons all the time to read more replies compared to a proper forum like Navitron.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »

Some sites I have recently been perusing, all extra knowledge:

http://uhomeshopping.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/about-18650-batteries-pt2-of-4-types.html

This may be handy for doing individual 18650's if you are of a constructive bent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw4psECqpwI&t=631s#t=643.00998

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Sean

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 04:17:30 PM »

And if you aren't that way inclined - just add 5 volts to these

MR GUS

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 07:51:01 PM »

Thought this video might simply be a good  "food for thought" basic for those who are contemplating making a simple pack, ..wondering about the nickel connectors & welds etc... this video & links from his site (for ebikes) makes for good viewing, planning, connecting, shrink wrapping etc..

Maybe Biff & his ebike want a bit more range / spare pack  Grin

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
knighty

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 12:59:15 AM »

when I was going to use 19850 cells on my ebike, I bought a load of used laptop packs on ebay (a LOT of them)

and bought 10x 6cell holders (parallel)

then charged them all in series witha 4.2v PSU

you need an amp meter on the charger... so you can keep an eye on it while you're plugging cells in... sudden jump in amps lets you know something is wrong

must have charged 500+ that way

then I let them sit for a few weeks and checked voltage
(that was as far as I got)

changed my plans so didn't need them anymore, sent them all to a guy on here (but I forgot his name)  fingers crossed they're working out for him :-)
MR GUS

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »

WOuld like to draw battery testing folk to this kickstarter... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722018962/batlab-a-battery-testing-system-for-lithium-ion-18

A good investment to someone making the leap & wishing to log as they go along, could be a lifesaver.

& this site from which the powerwall forum seems to be from.. http://diypowerwalls.com/index.php?sid=d58824fb6ec2cb751deda4094fe61951

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: