navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Mount PV.  (Read 9843 times)
DaveF

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »

Hi Andy,

Great post on a simple ground mount setup and I learned something new re the fact it's possible to fix directly into the edge of the PV panel frame.

Kind Regards,

Dave
offthegridandy

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »

Yesterday (thursday) PM was foul with icy rain and such, so I spent an hr or 2 making up the required cables for completing the PV array and today! More icy rain mixed with periods of bright sunshine.

I managed to get a gap in the showers and beetle off outside and complete the connections to the new array. Before starting I had to make a new widgit.  I'd lent my widgit. to a friend and not had it back.  " You never lend tools, you only give them away".

This  particular widgit is the one for disconnecting MC4 plug connectors.  A piece of Ali with a 13 mm slot will work, pushed into the groove in the connector, the sides push down and release the barb on the legs. Make sense  to you? I don't know.

I connected each pair of new panels giving me 72 volts +/- and the connected each pair in series, checking voltage as each connection was made.  I finally pulled the fuse on the existing array and then connected the new array into the old using 3 way connectors.

So I now have a total of 2700 watts of PV connected to my Outback FM 80 which is rated for 2500W.  However the new array of 1140 watts is on on a different alignment so should not overload the Outback .  I also still have 1000w of 30V cells wired directly on my (24V)  battery set and will shortly be re-erecting the WT and then a diesel free heaven is on the horizon. I've still got another 1Kw of panels awaiting erection but will have to get another charge controller for them and budget for some more cabling.

To cold to hand around taking piccys of pieces of wire or pv panels but here's a widgit. . It's dead rough but the design parameters were, sh*t its cold outside, that'll do, do job, get back inside.

Cheers

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »

Yup It is cold indeed Andy,
                 Everything here is covered with a layer of ice,   freeze
                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »

So Andy, 13mm is the crucial widget width then? been on the 'to do' list for a while. Cold sunny day here at sea, methinks I'll just pop down the engine room and get busy widgeting  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 06:28:13 PM »

Well Paul if your into widgiting I'd recommend checking with a vernier on your own plugs first.  Can't let standards slip in the widgit dept.

I popped out today and tidied up the new array and site.  Clipped up  the cables and made good. 

I've added here some pics of my power house.  The cabling looks a bit messy but is all safe and secure, it's just that the systems growth has been organic rather than totally planned.  Dependant on whats about when time and money allows  etc.  Someday I like to think I'll take it apart and redo from start, but really! probably not top of the list.

In the shot of all 3 of my PV arrays the nearest panels are on a tracker and the panels get set down flat if gales are predicted, as last night.

The main battery cables are over length so the can be reconnected to Happy Jacks chinee back up inverter.

Total generated at lunch time today 0.5Kwh.  It's a bit overcast!

I use these type of fuses through out the system You may care to note the custom fuse holder box made from an old floppy disc storage box, the lid being secured with a small screw.

I need to squeeze in another PV charge controller for the remaining panels yet to be set up and then it's done, for now.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »

Nice work Andy,

you just cannae beat Stirling board hey  Grin

looks familiar, though no insulation around my batteries. The bunker is usually around 11 degrees in the depths of winter and even with the heat pump running it's never fallen below 5 degrees.

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »

Now the WT is up and running it's back to the PV.

The site for the final array will be set about 10' N of the E-W line to get an afternoon evening boost. The site is currently a tump of tipped topsoil with a Budlia bush flourishing in the centre. Yesterday and today I've removed the turf and half the soil.  We've also removed the bush including cutting the roots and digging out the stump. Don't cry we've plenty more about and they do take some killing.

I discovered recently that Outback now make a 30 and a 40amp PV charge controller. Same type of spec/set up as the bigger units but about half the price.  By getting 2 of these, currently winging their way to me from Germany, I can put this new String on it's own controller and use the other for an older string of 1000w (30Vmp) which is hooked directly on the battery.

If the weathers no worse tomorrow I'll move some more dirt and get some ground cover down so I'm not clumping around with 6 inches of mud on the sole of my boots. I've got the timber here on site so onwards eh!

Oh and ey your right Paul

you just cannae beat Stirling board

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »

Don't cry we've plenty more about and they do take some killing.

You're no kidding Andy, I cut one and burned it to make way for a septic tank, ten years on the septic tank is well hidden by a budlia  Grin

offthegridandy

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »

Yep that sounds about right Paul.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:04:33 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
andrewellis

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »

Hi Andy,
 I am looking to build a mount similar to yours I guess.  I have 6 extra panels I got in addition to my main install of 16.  Unfortunately none of your photos seem to be available anymore.  Do you have them posted somewhere else so I can look at them for inspiration. I'm good at bashing stuff together just no good at designing these things.

Also, I was wondering how they have faired over the years as I have noticed our fence posts do not last any where near as the 'old' days.  The treatment ain't what it was. Do you regularly retreat yours?

Cheers
Andy

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
camillitech

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 06:04:05 AM »

Also, I was wondering how they have faired over the years as I have noticed our fence posts do not last any where near as the 'old' days.  The treatment ain't what it was. Do you regularly retreat yours?

I'll second that Andy, methinks the EU made us take the arsenic out of the process, cos fencers and folk who sold posts were getting too much exposure to it  Shocked No a bad thing really, also they tend to use Japanese larch now rather than European larch cos it grows quicker, trouble is it aint so durable. A good soaking in creosote (which you can still get if you say you are a business) helps.

Good luck, Paul

Bodidly

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 07:33:39 AM »

Hi Andy,
 I am looking to build a mount similar to yours I guess.  I have 6 extra panels I got in addition to my main install of 16.  Unfortunately none of your photos seem to be available anymore.  Do you have them posted somewhere else so I can look at them for inspiration. I'm good at bashing stuff together just no good at designing these things.

Also, I was wondering how they have faired over the years as I have noticed our fence posts do not last any where near as the 'old' days.  The treatment ain't what it was. Do you regularly retreat yours?

Cheers
Andy

Not sure how Andy did his but there is still a picture of our system on page 7 of this thread https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15707.90.html

I could take more pictures if of interest. Holding up perfectly thus far. The posts are guaranteed for 30 years but time will tell
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:41:44 AM by Bodidly » Logged
linesrg

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 08:38:28 AM »

Paul,

Apparently there is a firm down in Lincolnshire what still supplies creosoted fence posts as we have 1500's worth up in the field at the moment, I'll ask Kate who the supplier was.

This outfit still supply 'proper' treated posts - https://webbswood.co.uk/creosote-fencing

Kate has just advised ours came from GP Smart in Alford, Aberdeenshire - Google creopost

Regards

Richard
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:51:36 AM by linesrg » Logged

1.28kW panels on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 1.28kW panels/SB1700, 1.28kW panels/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL Solar ET panels & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 2.895kW panels/ SMA SB3000TL-21/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWh battery & a Renault Zoe
offthegridandy

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »

Here is what I can find in the piccy dump.   Not in any order but hopefully of some help.

I can confirm all timber work is still sound.  I used decking timber and treated sawn 75X75 posts and re treat the cut ends periodically.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
andrewellis

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »

Andy, thanks for taking the time to repost your photos.  I like the nice simple robust design.  How accurately did you have to position the metapost holders? I presume you are bashing them with a post screwed in?

Bodidly, that's a good solid looking setup too.  I had a commercial 16 panel mount and they specified 3.5 cubic meters of concrete which turned into 4 after the flex of my formers.  It seem massively over specced given we have leylandii right behind the panels.  I wish I could have got away with foundations like yours.  If you have any photos to hand of the back they would be appreciated.

Linesrg,  Thanks for the info.  I didn't know about GP smart and have been using the place near Thainstons, Inverurie for my posts.  I happen to be only 10 minutes from Alford so that's perfect and I'll go check them out.

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: