navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Micro Hydro Turbine Suggestions  (Read 1480 times)
Pigsywigsy

« on: September 02, 2019, 10:33:35 PM »

Hello all,

After some advice please on small hydro turbines.

While replacing the decking along the back of my house with some new fangled composite stuff, decided while the old deck was up and before the new stuff goes down I should sort my guttering soak aways as they've never worked properly, so, I've installed new drainage pipes and routed them to the edge of the large steep hill out the back, I'll connect the downpipes along the rear of my house to the new pipework now and add other sections before long. What would be a suitable micro hydro turbine to install at the bottom of the hill for the rainwater to drive? Looking for something cheap as for now it'll only be going when there's enough rain to make it. If it's a daft idea that's likely to be a complete waste of time feel free to say so 😁

There is a burn at the bottom of the hill, I've no way of incorporating it at present, just whatever I can capture from approx 80m of guttering (once it's all hooked up) and possibly routing drainage down it as well.

Ta

Worcester Bosch Greenstore 11, 280l DHW + 150l UFH
16x Sharp NU245, Power One Aurora pvi3.6
Bergey Excel 10kw, PowersyncII, EMMA, 1250l Thermal Store
ecogeorge

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 11:03:44 PM »

Gonna say no -waste of time  but can you  quantify the amount of water involved ..
-litres/min
-for how long
-height of fall (head)

But gonna be a  no no.....
George
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »

Thanks George,

I'll get some measurements together once it's hooked up properly, unsure how much water I'll be routing down the hill until it happens but can check the specifics of the drop ok.

Ta,
Drew

smegal

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »

I just did a quick Ecosia search and picked the first link.

Try making one from a washing machine pump.

https://survivaljar.com/how-to-make-a-water-turbine-generator-at-home-using-washing-machine-motor/

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
regen

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »

It will be an intermittent supply depending on rainfall. May be fun but doubt if you will get any meaningful power out of it.

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »

Thanks Smegal, will check out the washing machine idea, also read about using vehicle water pumps somewhere too.

Hi, Regen, realise it won't generate much, that's why I'm looking for cheap ideas, don't mind making things myself for it if required.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: