navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lichen growing on front surface of solar PV panels  (Read 5744 times)
al_uk

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »

N2, that looks interesting. I've contacted them to see if they have any concerns over using it on PV panels. And also how long I'd have to avoid harvesting the rainwater from the roof.

Meanwhile I've ordered one of these to try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alto-Kew-6410762-Rotary-Brush/dp/B0001P0BOO.

Patrick, I've tried clearing it after it has been damp and raining for several days, but that didn't really make it easier to remove.

10kW PV. Rainwater collection-14 IBCs. Custom Arduino based Immersun type PV diversion. HomeSeer home automation, Househeat/Conrad TRV radiator actuators + FHEM. SageTV
TheFairway

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »

i suggested wet and forget earlier post - used it before but not on solar panels. Its very good stuff, but you need to watch the application instructions on how long to leave before rain.

you can get it discounted in a number of places, eg Costco. so don't go paying 35 for it. think i paid about 24 for 5l last time i purchased.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:19:09 PM by TheFairway » Logged

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my former employer, clients or partners.

al_uk

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »

Yes, you did, sorry I missed it. To tell you the truth I've seen so many mentions of various products elsewhere, that I got fed up and left it. But the sun was shining today, panels were producing 50% nominal, so time to do something about it.

Any concerns with using it on panels?

Thanks for the tip on pricing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:40:15 PM by al_uk » Logged

10kW PV. Rainwater collection-14 IBCs. Custom Arduino based Immersun type PV diversion. HomeSeer home automation, Househeat/Conrad TRV radiator actuators + FHEM. SageTV
TheFairway

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »

i would only leave it on for a few days so apply in dry weather but with rain due in a few days. Whilst it will remain active for a while, for moss on ground, we often sweep the moss off the weekend after applying. the moss is very clearly brown by that stage.

as for rain water harvesting, i suspect that as long as you do not have anything active in the process nor use it for drinking or watering fruit/veg, i don't see any problem.

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my former employer, clients or partners.

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »

A quick look at the active ingredient of Wetandforget shows:

< Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride >

another quick search on wonkipodia gives:

< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride >

This stuff appears to have a multitude of uses which involve oral ingestion of diluted quantities. Suggest read and draw your own conclusion.

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
al_uk

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »

It arrived today, so I've applied it, we are forecast rain tomorrow evening. Most of the panels I applied once, a few I applied twice. I'll report back if there is anything interesting to report...

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »

I found lichen florets on the glass of my PV recently. I've never seen them in previous years, only algae and leaf matter.
My PV is on the stable and easily reached by ladder. I have a quality squeegee, with sharp corners on the rubber, mounted on aluminium poles. After wetting the glass, and with a little pressure, it did an admirable job of removing the florets. The time-consuming part is cleaning-off the algae on the alloy frames and from the perimeter of the glass where it is mounted in the alloy frame. A toothbrush is very handy here.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »

I do inspect our own 3.8 of pv,
                             For lichen and there is no sign of it yet. To be honest it would surprise me if the lichen did get a foothold. The Arrays are in the barest spot on the site. Lichen is hardy and can grow anywhere but the ice sheets that form regularly on the panels each winter would tear anything off the panels as they slide down.  The panels get hammered with hail,,jet washed by the storms coming in from the Atlantic, Dried by the heat of the sun and then the whole thing repeated time and time again regular icing and de-icing. It is a tough job for a lichen floret in New Patagonia.  I think that the only Lichen that could hang on to our PV would be the small mini plastic ones stuck with super glue. Grin
                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »

a bare copper wire run across a ridge line stops it growing on slates.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Barrie

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »

For those who are members of Costco, 5 litres of wet&forget is included in next month's offers catalogue starting on Monday at 17.98.

Milton Keynes
Westie

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »

Like Nickel2 said,

I've been buying BAC50 (Benzyl Ammonium Chloride 50% solution) for years now, 1 litre of this will make 100L at 0.5% which is fine to use as an algicide.  I live in a house in the middle of a a forest so I spray the house down incl. the roof and PV  panels once every year, just try pick a dry week to spray or it'll wash away before it does the job.  You won't notice any difference for a few months then you suddenly notice that the green tinge has gone from everything and the roof colour is lighter. I don't have any sign of algea on the PV panels.  Grin

I contains a soapy surficant which prevents beading, I apply it with a 20L back pack spray. 

It's not particularly nauctious but wear a mask and gopgles as it can make your eyes and throat a little sore.  If you look on most antibacterial sprays used for kitchen surfaces this is usually the active ingredient. Apparently at very low concentration it can be used on open wounds as a disinfectant.

Even our cars start to get covered in algae over the winter so I add some to the water when I clean them (also about once every year Grin)

You can buy it from Bonnymans on Amazon, 5 per Litre. A little bit cheaper if you buy from them directly.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
privet_hedge

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »

I finally managed to erect the tower scaffold at the end of last week. I had to wait for a series of calm, dry days !
The panels directly under my neighbours TV aerial were much worse than I expected !
Copper strip placed on the frame of one panel several months ago had had no noticeable effect.  Even attacking the florets with a Stanley knife scraper did nothing (in practice I could only reach a few inches up the panel so attempting a mechanical removal over the whole surface was a non starter).
I applied a proprietary patio cleaner (which was in fact 'just' ascetic acid) by using a long pole with a pumped 'fluid distribution system' and soaked the total surface. This was left to soak in for 24 hrs (I had previously checked that the acid had no effect on a plain aluminium plate). There appeared to be no effect on the lichen whatsoever. I then used the same long pole fitted with a soft brush to apply as much 'Cillit Bang' bathroom cleaner as possible. Using as much force as I could (you can't actually apply much from the end of a long pole, just gravity really), I scrubbed the panels clean. The lichen softened and cleaned off easily. Replacing the brush with a 'wiper blade' also assisted in cleaning. A thorough rinse with a hose (also attached to the pole) completed the job. This was repeated the next day.
You can see how bad the panels were before, and how they are now from the attached photos.

I'm going to see if I can source some of the fungicide mentioned in previous posts whilst the tower is still in place, although spraying over the distance will present a problem.

Obviously, the TV aerial is culprit. The bird poo provides the nutrient for the fungi and sunlight provides the energy. Amazing organisms !
So, the question is how to stop birds from sitting on the aerial. I can't access the TV aerial even from the ridge, and as it belongs to my neighbour I can't really do anything obvious. Any suggestions.....electronic....?...strobe light....ultrasonic....

Alan
sam_cat

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »

Explain to your neighbour the problem, see if they would be comfortable with the aerial being moved to the side of their house rather than chimney. Your cover all cost of the work (saves you doing this job again, so cost is irrelevant)

No aerial = no birds
TheFairway

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »

Do you have any way of doing a before/after energy comparison? ie intraday power plot of two similar days?

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

It may be worth asking your neighbour if the aerial is in current use. There are probably millions of old 625 aerials sitting unused on the nation's rooftops since the advent of digital TV. They may even be getting their TV via cable. (If you have cable TV locally, it's time to start extolling the virtues of it to your neighbour, then asking if he really needs the old aerial)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: