navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sealed lead acid battery ,  (Read 1219 times)
baker

« on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »

I have opened the sealed lead acid batteries and filled with water
and done a repair charge  facepalm/
only to find they are fiber matt suspended type  yuasa np38-12
is this ok
baker
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »

I have done that many times myself and never once have I been able to fix the battery. Unfortunately those AGM cells when they die they are dead and theres nothing you can do but replace them. I believe they are filled with a negative pressure gas and even just opening them messes them up. I would never buy any for my use I dont like them.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »

AGMs,
    Were always a bit of a mystery to me but I found out the hard way that the swell up and crack when they are dying and leave a pile of unhealthy looking ash type stuff where the cracks allow it to pour through the gaps. Then you have to be pretty careful trying to lift them because the end with the handle can snap off and drop the lot on your bunions, In my case all 50kgs of yellow powersafe 105ah x 12volt. absolute crud,,good for nowt or perhaps maybe tethering a goat too or wasting time on.
                                                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
baker

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »

that's the end of messing around with batteries/
the power they gave out and the cost was not a good idea
as you said , a waste of time/
baker

marcus

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:36:14 PM »

well my AGM's are still going (9-10yrs? - can't really remember), and I filled them with water a while ago, but if you're adding water in an attempt to recover a battery once it's failing then no -  I doubt it would work sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: