navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning RWH tank  (Read 1918 times)
book_woorm

« on: December 12, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »

Does anybody have any idea of the cost of commercial cleaning of an underground 5000Lt RWH tank. Its been installed to 10 years now and the frequency at which I am having to change/clean the filters on the delivery side of the pump, especially after a downpour, make me think that there is a lot of sludge in the bottom which is getting stirred up. A company in south Devon/Dartmoor would be good.

About 5 years ago I had to pull the Calpedia pump out and take it apart to get a load of ash seeds out of the impellers to get the working pressure back up to spec. Since then I've put a 100 micron grid round the pump intake, leaf grids in the gutters, stocking filters in the down pipes and a 5 micron filter on the pressure side, the loos then flushed clear instead of grey. The first of the 5 micron filters lasted 9 months but now it needs changing every 4 weeks.

The trouble is the tank is a PVC horizontal ribbed cylinder and the bottom is about 3m down. There is a diaphragm 900 mm down the man hole that supports an inlet filter (joke) and the submersible pump so its virtually impossible to see into the tank to find out if sludge is the problem. Short of pumping it right out plus, getting in there with a jet wash then physically removing the debris by hand I can't see a solution.

2.4 Kw Kyocera Panels (west facing) Feronius inverter; Sonenkraft Solar Thermal with Twin 180Lt & 280 Lt Thermal Stores; SAP 'A' rated property with UFH & wood burner. Full weather compensation on the UFH buffer temperature & differential controller decides where the heat from the wood burner goes.
DaveF

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »

Hi  book_woorm,

Can you get any other type of submersible pump or suction hose down to the bottom of the tank and pump up some samples of what the unfiltered waters like?

Can't you just divert the intake and allow the tank to run down to empty and then see about cleaning the tank/organizing someone to clean it then?

Even pumping the tank out will likely leaves a lot of sediment in the bottom so commercial company may just leave you with a 'dry' but dirty tank.

Regards,

DaveF
book_woorm

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »

Hi Dave
i) I cant even get my hand through the available hole(s)
ii) The only way to divert the flow away from the tank is to take the diaphragm out and bridge a piece of 4" pipe between the inlet and the overflow. That means taking the pump out and the content gauge sensor.

Really I'm looking for a commercial tank cleaning company to do the whole job. I use such companies for freshwater tanks in the ship repair industry but none of the ones I know are in this area and those I've approached are not interested.

2.4 Kw Kyocera Panels (west facing) Feronius inverter; Sonenkraft Solar Thermal with Twin 180Lt & 280 Lt Thermal Stores; SAP 'A' rated property with UFH & wood burner. Full weather compensation on the UFH buffer temperature & differential controller decides where the heat from the wood burner goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: