navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: broken mini USB phone plug  (Read 6603 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: September 09, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

Hi Guys ,

My mini usb connection  of my phone (android) is not accepting any  charge any more ,  bloody dirt in the connection  or whatever ....  ,  i do not want to get another phone , any idea how to repair the USB plug in the phone ??

At the moment i charge a separate battery from another broken phone ,  and the  battery is  nearly matching , just need a match to hold her in place  Grin

Is the phone in charge of the charging or is the mains charger  doing the charge control ?  I guess the phone is in control ...

Billi

* IMG_0023.jpg (324.57 KB, 2480x1860 - viewed 1371 times.)

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »

You can buy replacement sockets on ebay, for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Micro-USB-B-Female-5-Pin-SMT-Socket-Plug-Jack-Connector-for-Mobile-Phone-/121522628650?hash=item1c4b50282a:g:IPcAAOSwofxUlHFk

You will have to work out how to open your phone and get to the socket though, and then the real fun begins... Grin
eabadger

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »

have you tried a different charger?
my iphone stopped charging the outer shield had eaten through to the center and shorted out, i guess a big fire risk.
then the phone refused to accept a charge lead from maplin, said not apple and wouldnt charge.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »

Them phones,!
               2 years ago, I was working with the forklift on the front street, I stopped for a cuppa,hopped off the seat,had my cuppa and then got back up on the forklift, I drove up the street, turned and then headed back down the yard. As I passed the front doorstep, I saw something glinting in the sun, it was black, shiny with a crazed ice pattern on top, so i reversed back up and peered down at it.
   It was a phone, a mobile phone. So I hopped down and picked it up, saying to myself, "Well who ever owns this one is going to be right piddled off"    I was right, I was.   Phones!
  Forklift are sore on Phones.
                                                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:58:36 PM »

Usually it's fluff in the socket. If you haven't gorran air compressor then you can prise it out with a pin..just remove the battery before you poke metal in there.
phoooby

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:08:46 PM »

@eabadger Do you have an iphone 5 ?. I have a similar problem and apparently it is well known and documented on the net. I got the same message about "lead not apple" so ponied up 15 for a genuine apple lead. Kind of helps but not all the time. I find if you reboot with the sim card removed, it will take a charge but obviously a hardware issue. Have looked at the online "how too" guide on changing the lightning socket and decided it was far to fiddly for me. Apple do an exchange 5s for 199 which I may well go for when my charging become intolerable.

6kw WBS, Nissan Leaf 24 (gone), Tesla Model S, Nissan env-200.
dhaslam

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »

It is design problem with phones.  Most  cameras have covers for the   connectors  but  phones usually  don't and they are carried in pockets more often than cameras.   When I change phones I normally buy a spare battery charger like the one below.   

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplus/detail-page/sc_b00bw0xzo0-01compartment_lg.jpg

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:26 PM »

tried to clean the socket /connection  ...

anyway i guess i get an universal  charger  for  batteries ,  i think i have about 4  batteries that kindda fit that phone ....  by size

just had to cut a few edges of the plastic that the smaller ones/battery  will fit Smiley  ar$holes  companies  they are    that they try  to not use others batteries in a specific phone

I find a way around it  fingers crossed!

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
fourfootfarm

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »

if its a fairly common model there will be a tutorial on ifixit.com on how to replace the plug, it might just be a loose connection that benefits from a bit of solder reflow action

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: