navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free(?) checkup of my PV System  (Read 2075 times)
dc

« on: December 13, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »

Recently contacted by a company called Green Energy in Chelmsford who offered a free system check-up. They claim that this inspection is government sponsored due to a belief that not all systems are being operated to their full potential. Also that recent checks have shown potentially hazardous wiring.
Being by nature somewhat sceptical of free offers from cold telephone calls I am wondering if this may just be a use to sell me an insurance for my inverter which as a recent caller informed me was quite old (6yrs) and very likely to fail.

Anybody else had this call and availed themselves of the generous offer? Is there a government initiative to inspect PV systems?

Sharp NU-E235 x 17 = 3.995kWp, SB4000TL, 4KWh Powervault, Essex CM8 3NR  Lat - 51-46'41"
Stevieboy118

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »

They will inspect your inverter and tell you that it cuts out numerous times a day due to over volting and they happen to sell a magic box that would keep your inverter inside the acceptable voltage output range.

I've had the same call, did some research here and with my mate google and found quite a few magic bean salesmen.

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
TheFairway
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:36:44 PM »

Just tell them that you are looking for a solution to prevent your panels from suffer the effects of flying pig dung...  flyingpig
Tiff

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »

I've had a few of these calls. Same scare tactics. My favorite was the one who claimed the oil was evaporating out of my inverter.
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »

Inverter oil? Sounds like the mineral equivalent of snake oil.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Scruff

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »

not all systems are being operated to their full potential.

Most aren't.
I've a 110Wp DC coupled system out-performing a 550Wp AC Coupled system in Winter weather.
Acceptable losses versus return on investment is the counter argument.
Scruff

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »

DIY Checkup.

Lux meter (input)
Power upstream of inverter versus power downstream of inverter (efficiency)
Calculated power in versus power out (installation losses).
Inverter offline/net negative output time = "system self-consumption"
iantowil

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »

Yep, also had quite a few calls from a local firm down in South Wales telling my inverter will soon die and my system efficiency is very poor. Enjoyed the first 2 or 3 debates but the last one was particularly irksome, especially when he wanted to charge me thousands for a solar edge inverter conversion. Just all sales gimmicks down here.
supremetwo

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 02:59:10 AM »

Yep, also had quite a few calls from a local firm down in South Wales telling my inverter will soon die and my system efficiency is very poor. Enjoyed the first 2 or 3 debates but the last one was particularly irksome, especially when he wanted to charge me thousands for a solar edge inverter conversion. Just all sales gimmicks down here.
Quite a few of us have had those.

They seem to have acquired a database of installations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: