navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laying floorboards on concrete. Suggestions?  (Read 5957 times)
gravyminer

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »

Quality job Mr Magic.
Yes those torx screws from Screwfix are a great way of fixing into solid substrates.

We discovered that you can buy discs that fit floor polishers that will do a sanding operation.
A hardly used floor polisher from ebay and those discs allowed us to remove the 'cupping' that seems to occur with T&G boards as they dry.

We nail gunned at an angle down through the tongues ( actually might have been the grooves  ) and used all the ideas suggested in this thread to try and pull in the boards.

I see you have decided to use silicate paint on the  lime plaster, any reason for this choice ?

We started off with clay based paints and due to the acreages involved, ended up buying several 10 litre pots of liquid lime putty and added pigments to colour.

gravyminer
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

Biff, I did think of underfloor heating but taking another couple of inches off the already low ceilings was a non starter. We don't have a heating system to drive underfloor at this point and probably won't, but it's the one thing I would really have liked to do and have.

Gravyminer, we looked at the different lime paints but they tend to be powdery and rub off. As we have two lively dogs, I had a feeling it would get rubbed away pretty quickly. Also, muddy dogs, even freshly washed with the outside shower hose, tend to leave mud on the walls occasionally. The silicate paints keep the high breathability we wanted but are pretty hard wearing and easy to wipe down.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: