navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Turbine Insurance  (Read 1090 times)
Pigsywigsy

« on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »

Good morning,

My Insurance renewal is in for my Bergey, due at the end of January, it's approx 3 times last years price. I've had a call round several insurers (not that there's many available, small market) and discovered that there's recently been a big jump in the price of small turbine insurance, also a number of insurers had stopped doing policies all together for small wind turbines, a couple of them said insuring the turbine and property together were their only option now.
Awaiting a call back from my local NFU people to get a quote from them.
Anyone else had similar issues?

Ta

Worcester Bosch Greenstore 11, 280l DHW + 150l UFH
16x Sharp NU245, Power One Aurora pvi3.6
Bergey Excel 10kw, PowersyncII, EMMA, 1250l Thermal Store
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »

Can't really help much PW but I'd be interested to see how you get on with the NFU. I cannot praise them enough, when I installed the last Proven I didn't erect it for a while, just had it tilted onto a trestle because as I'd no use for the electricity at the time. The blades were braked, or at least I thought they were, anyway, along came a gale of west wind and the brake must have come off, the blades turned and got damaged by a tree stump. I priced a new set up, winced and then just phoned them up on the 'off chance'. They were extremely helpful, thought they weren't covered, checked and phoned me back. I was told that the regular house insurance only covers turbines mounted on the actual house!!! They did however say they'd look at the claim sympathetically though they had no obligation. Three months later and with no further correspondence from either parties I received a cheque for 1100  extrahappy  extrahappy

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
offthegridandy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »

Hi, we have our house and contents with the NFU, always found them to be excellent.  When we first informed them about WT and ground mount solar PV,  they asked for a value and said they'd put a note on the policy.  Didn't get any extra premium increase.  Try them 1st I'd say.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »

Thanks Paul and Andy, will update once i've spoken to them with some good news hopefully.

Pigsywigsy

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »

So, NFU won't insure me either, they use the same Insurers that the broker i'm already with does and they apparently are trying to get out of small turbine insurance.

B*llocks!

Allnightin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »

These brokers do wind turbines I think:

http://www.naturesave.co.uk/
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »

Thanks Allnightin,

Have spoken to natureserve more than once this week but i'm still waiting on a form being emailed out, however the last of the other companies i've spoken to (and there's lots of them) have today quoted me 2750  Roll Eyes
My current policy is 363 for the year and renewal is 1100 at the end of the month, seems like my renewal is actually much cheaper than anything else available as 1500 seems to be the standard starting point almost everywhere else!
Looks like my Bergey will be uninsured shortly.

offthegridandy

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »

Hi Pigsywigseee,

dont know if you got anywhere with serch for insurance.

I just came across this link don't know how up to date it is or if you've already tried them.  Let us know if it's any good.

http://www.northernalliance.co.uk/wind-turbine-insurance/

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
ringi

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »

Looks like my Bergey will be uninsured shortly.

Can you get insurance that just covers the 3rd party damage if it lands on someone?
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 07:38:50 PM »

Thanks guys, was with Northern Alliance and ended up back with them again, definitely the cheapest for me, had a possible claim pending and my renewal had tripled as a result of this, claim got dropped and my renewal shrunk severely.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: