navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New (to me) batteries.  (Read 731 times)
DaveSnafu

« on: January 21, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »

Well I finally had to bite the bullet, and replace the batteries, we had a few under voltage shutdowns over crimbo, high pressure weather, no sun no wind, had to run the genny a few times, ordered a second hand set from PB batteries in preston, 1000ah 24v 800, so 66 per cell, the old set is being weighed in at 0.50p per kilo, so about 250 for a set of cells I paid 380 for 11 years ago, not bad value.
 It is nice not having to worry about leaving things on or turning off the lights, I kept an eye on this battery pack for a few days..........it appears to be OK, I will treat it much like the old set, it is my lead acid slave and will be fed water and ignored for the most part.
 I ran a few checks on the old cells once they were out of the shed, as it happens it had been both windy and sunny just before the new cells arrived so the old set were fully charged, all the cells bar one are holding at 2.3v, the bad cell is the one that blew up after a lightning strike, the botched top I fabricated was not a good seal and that cell needed more water than the others, thus diluting the chemistry, it reads 1.8v and will not take a load, I am of a mind that the remaining 11 cells might even do a bit more work......
 I have advised the scrap man to be careful handling them as there is a lot of acid in them and I dare say an inadvertent short across the terminals would give you something to think about.
 Hopefully it will be another 10 years before I have to worry about batteries again.
 fingers crossed!

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: