navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supplier for bulk battery acid? (recovering traction cells)  (Read 5934 times)
Stevieboy118

« on: January 26, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »

I've had a nice big pile of traction cells arrive from Knighty, now I need to bring them back to life, first order of business is filling them with acid, but the 10/litre prices on eBay aren't very friendly.

Has anybody got a good supplier of dilute sulphuric acid?

Or should I buy conc acid and dilute it myself with de-ionised water?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:49:48 AM by Stevieboy118 » Logged

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
johnrae

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »

Visit you local motor factor or battery service agent, explain why you want a bulk quantity and they may be able to assist with a decent price
Philip R

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »

Had these cells been previously filled with acid electrolyte, or were they dry charged for long term storage?

If the former, then I would suspect that the negative spongy lead filled plates would have dried out,oxidised ( negative plate burnout). This happened on our plante battery banks when they were decommissioned and the acid sucked out before transportation. (BTW, the old planted had glass tanks and were easily broken.)

Your traction batteries would not be plante as the positive plates would be gridded construction rather than the cast lamelled lead plate of a plante. A faire after another Frenchman

Philip R
Countrypaul

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

If you get some conc. sulphuric acid to dilute yourself, remember to add acid to the water and not the other way round. Diluting sulphuric acid produces lots of heat and can be very dangerous, so PPE is required especially goggles because it can spit back at you.
DaveSnafu

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:42:14 PM »

Were they delivered dry ?, you should only top up with distilled water, if you use acid the solution is too saturated and will not absorb the sulphate from the plates.
I have ruined a set of batteries by filling with acid.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
RIT

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:58:29 PM »

If you do need bulk acid (see all other posts)

http://www.off-grid-europe.com/accessories/battery-accessories/battery-acid

30L for 45.22

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Stevieboy118

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »

The cells are used, they were drained for transport.

Just went to order from O-G-E, 45 for the acid, 60 for the courier, ouch!

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
knighty

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »

are you sure they're drained and don't just need topping up ?

I didn't check the level in them, but the guy I bought them from said nothing about draining them :-o
Stevieboy118

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

are you sure they're drained and don't just need topping up ?

I didn't check the level in them, but the guy I bought them from said nothing about draining them :-o

i had a look in half of them and i couldn't see any fluid, the tops of the lead panels looked dry, no sloshing noise while carrying them either. I'll stick my endoscope (ebay 9, awesome!) in them in the morning and double check.

Or i might wait till the kids are in bed and do it tonight!  Grin

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
DaveSnafu

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 10:20:01 PM »

I have just had a set of traction cells delivered, the fluid was not evident in them either, but topped them up today with distilled water, they won't make sloshing noises if low, the plates act like baffles, just fill them with distilled water, at 2.50 a gallon you have little to lose.
Mine took 6 litres for 12 cells to get them to the max level line, then boiled the cr*p out of them all day on the turbine to mix the juices.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
rogeriko

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 10:49:14 PM »

Fill them up with distilled water. You can only add acid to fully charged cells and you dont know if they were fully charged or not. Add the water and charge them for a week at least and then measure the electrolite and they will be acidic. Only then can you correct the acidity.

al barge

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 12:30:55 AM »

I overfilled our batteries last summer, I used an automatic bottle thing, not realising there was more height above the plates than the bottles teats are designed for.. I thought they were thirsty after getting through 30l! It meant i'd reduced capacity (diluted) so much they only lasted a few hours. argh..

To get them back to charged spec sg, I syringed the worst back out, and bought some acid, then carefully re-mixed using a syringe and checking with hydrometer, to bring them back to life, still kinda going strong now.

No affiliation, but I used Trinity Research to get acid: http://www.trinity-research.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21_96_23_106_35&osCsid=1qkakl6ju2820h84h33oi0vgn7

Obviuosly be careful, i had a pint of ready mixed water/bicarb to instantly neutralise any splashes, and wore safety glasses.. dipping the rubber gloves in at the end was more exciting than i expected!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:39:56 AM by al barge » Logged

38m Belgian Spits Barge, Victron Multi 24/3000/70-16, 420Ah (c5) Used Forklift Batts, Smartgauge, DIY wood Stove, DIY diesel drip stove heat exchanger circuit, Spare roof space..
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 02:44:58 AM »

i ripped my  automated filling system of my 24 cell battery after overfilling
 had no big issues the last years just to top up manually twice a year

for new cels i would get a elactrolyte stiring idea

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Stevieboy118

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »

Had a good result today, just need a litre or so in each and they were all full.

Half of them were reading a fart over 2v as well extrahappy

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
knighty

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »

awesome :-)

now charge the life out of them and get them bubbling away!

(that's how I saved the pack on the forklift after I was told to do that here)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: