navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supplier for bulk battery acid? (recovering traction cells)  (Read 5930 times)
rogeriko

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »

Youre lucky now charge them at about 10 amps for 2 weeks at least and they will be as good as new.

Stevieboy118

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »

Got the full range of conditions inside the cells, some are nice and thick with some white spot, others are collapsed and bent.

Very happy chappy  Grin Part of the enjoyment is watching the process, if i get organised i'll try and do regular snaps of the cells over the month while they recover.

Once the wife comes back and i can actually get to play with the batteries that is ....

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
Stevieboy118

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »

Well they finally got back from doing whatever women do when they're hiding from nappy duty and i got to go and play in the rain Smiley

Rather than complex things with tapping a thread and bolting on solid connectors, i hammered the old connectors flat, overlapped then and used a nut & bolt to join them, along with a few self cutting screws and old earthing straps to connect from row to row.

Once i got everything connected, i crossed my fingers and ....

I think that's a pretty good start to things.

I connect up my charger, and the voltage jumps a whole 0.1v, i put it on to high and it jumps another 0.2v. After a few minutes the voltage started climbing 0.1v at a time, up to 27.8v in half an hour, charger is pushing 10 amp, down from 15 amp when it was first connected. Time to order up some heavy cable and connect my inverter/charger (which has a better charger out put than my little garage workshop unit) and hammer some proper power in to them.

I've had a very good weekend  Grin

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
knighty

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »

the dumber the charger the better right now, dumb ones will quite happily keep pushing amps in, smart ones will cut right back once the voltage comes up a bit so you don't boil them   (but really you do want to boil them right now.... it's no problem as long as you don;t let them run dry)
nowty

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »

Or overheat ! sh*tfan

But 45 degrees C or less is ok. fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:07:36 PM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
rogeriko

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »

10a wont even start to heat them up, any warmth generated will be dispersed into the air. You would need at least 100a to start raising the temp.

Stevieboy118

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »

Think i'm going to need those Heinz cables sooner than expected, my garage workshop charger is struggling to work against this much capacity (not much surprise really)

On HIGH the cells have built up to 29v, but with virtually no current being pushed Sad

On BOOST it jumps up to 33v but i can only run it for a few minutes before it throws it's internal thermal trip

Time to shop for cables, 600A peak needs 120mm cables if my sums are right.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:46:10 PM by Stevieboy118 » Logged

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
rogeriko

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »

Your battery charger is doing what it is supposed to do, as the battery voltage rises the current drops. your chargers transformer dosnt have a high enough voltage to push more amps. Its not the cables they are fine.

knighty

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »

typed a few ideas out but kept changing my mind!

check the voltage of each cell, see if there's a duff one in there before you do anything else

if they're all about the same, leave them on high for a week and see if anything changes

what was the starting voltage and how many amps did it put in at first on high ?
Stevieboy118

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

typed a few ideas out but kept changing my mind!

check the voltage of each cell, see if there's a duff one in there before you do anything else

if they're all about the same, leave them on high for a week and see if anything changes

what was the starting voltage and how many amps did it put in at first on high ?

Initial voltage was 24.6v, jumped up 0.1v when the charger was turned on, dial showed between 18-20 amps initially.

Total voltage this morning was 29.9v before i turned off the charger, it settled back to 26.5v after half an hour.

All the cells were showing between 2.20v and 2.23v apart from two who were down around 2.08v, had a look inside and the panels looked quite warped, but lots brighter than they were a few days ago.

Plenty of bubbles in every cell.

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
knighty

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »

leave the charger going on high and give it a couple of weeks then :-)

(I know it sounds odd... but that's what I was told here... and it worked brilliantly for me!)
Stevieboy118

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 10:36:43 AM »

Well the batteries crawled up to 29.9v after a couple of days and just sat there until yesterday when it suddenly jumped to 33.7v. Grin (edit, jumped up to 34.7v overnight!)

I'm hoping that means a big chunk of sulphation has jumped back into solution. fingers crossed!

So far so good.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:09:40 PM by Stevieboy118 » Logged

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
Stevieboy118

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »

And this morning shows me ...

I am a VERY happy chap  Grin

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
Stevieboy118

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »

Actually i'm not a very happy chap, it turns out my multimeter goes completely out of spec as the internal battery starts to fails Sad Replaced the battery and the voltage was back to 29.9v/30.0v. Bought a spare meter to be on the safe side and that showed the same voltage. Ho hum, another lesson learnt.

Well after 5 weeks on high charge i shut off the juice and left them for a day or so to settle (nothing to do with having 3 sprogs 5 & under and a stroppy 12 year old here, i'm boss in this house! and i hope she never sees this!) then checked the first 12 cells and half them are holding at 2.08v with an SG of 1.275, a couple are down at 2.05/2.06v (SG 1.225/1.250) and one is holding a steady 2.1v, the SG goes off my scale as it's showing a bit over 1.3!

The other 12 cells have just been sitting, letting their de-ionised water do it's brownian motion thing. They are all hovering around the 1.93/1.98v range with SG around 1.05/1.10 with one cell showing 2.05v and SG of 1.2 without me doing anything more than top it up!

I'm going to swap the good unused cell into the "main" pack and push 32v (highest my inverter uses as a bulk charge) for a couple of weeks to see if the slightly weaker cells will recover to a higher sitting voltage. Failing that i'll pull one from the pack and juggle the numbers so the inverter pushes the voltage into 11 cells instead of 12.

Also i'm going to take 5 of the "best" unused and the weakest of the "main" set and charge them as a 12v pack, my standalone charger has more headroom in 12v mode than it does in 24v, i should be able to get the 12v pack up to 16-18v, again if needs be i'll pull one battery and put the charger on to "low" but put it across 5 cells. I've got more flexibility now i've got my inverter cabled up, i can charge two sets at a time.

So far, so good. And actually, yes, still a happy chap  Grin

Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: