navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growatt SP2000 Storage System  (Read 5550 times)
Tiff

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:04 PM »

As well as the different voltages, LiFePO4 has a much higher cycle life than Lithium and also safer.

The voltage of LiFePO4 also means its a good fit as a replacement for 12/24/36/48v systems.
RIT

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »

Well there is currently a second-hand unit up on ebay for 1,400. The problem is that even at this price I just do not end up with calculations that show that I can expect a return on the investment. My best guess is that I may be able to time-shift about 1,100kWH over a year which currently costs me 132 to purchase from my supplier, so my current payback time is over 10 years and that's excluding the electrical works which seem to work out at parts and maybe 2 hours of a part P approved electrician - maybe another 250-300.

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
nowty

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »

Fully operational now with all cables tidied up.
image hosting free

Solar has been rubbish for the last week but today, wall to wall sun.
Growatt 1 at 98%, growatt 2 at 86%, sunny island at 96% and hot water at 3/4 hot.

This afternoon, baked biscuits, bread and now cooking roast chicken with growatt 2 in forced discharge mode assisting the last of the setting sun.
Total solar yield today of about 30kWh's.

24 hrs Solar
A bit wierd seeing solar from the main inverter all day and night.
imageupload
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:12:49 PM by nowty » Logged

4.0kW PV (grid tie) + 10kWh lithium battery storage, Immersun 2 diverter to hot water.
5.5kW PV (off grid) + 20kWh lead acid battery storage, Solamiser diverter to hot water.
Water harvesting from underground river.
A few cold frames and raised beds.
Fionn

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »

Looks great.
Would it not have made more sense to put those horizontal decking boards on a hinged door for access though?

Ironically here in Ireland with no FIT, installing storage would only really make sense if one wanted to disconnect from the grid completely.
The annual saving of about 250 on standing charges and the capital saving on the initial grid connection (for a new build) would make it economic.
With say 10kW of PV and 10-20kWh of lithium based storage I couldn't see much generator run time being required for an energy efficient home.
camillitech

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »

Looks great.
Would it not have made more sense to put those horizontal decking boards on a hinged door for access though?

Perhaps it's to discourage the man in the white Transit van  hysteria I know all things are suitably IP rated but I just couldn't bare the thought of them being outside in the cold and wet or even strong sunlight. I'd be constantly wanting to look at them and touch them  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
nowty

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2017, 05:25:32 PM »

I thought about doing a hinged door type access but I wanted adequate ventilation and I can easily see the displays, plug in a laptop, etc. If I need to do any re-cabling or replacing boxes, then its just a few minutes to unscrew the panels.

The growatts are not actually designed to be installed outdoors but the location is very sheltered, its east facing, between two houses and behind a car port to the south. So its in the lee of most rain directions, will get hardly any strong sunlight and the exterior wall should stop them getting too cold.

During storm Doris the other day they were fine and stayed dry.

And white van man cannot see them from the front of the house because of the car port.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:28:08 PM by nowty » Logged

4.0kW PV (grid tie) + 10kWh lithium battery storage, Immersun 2 diverter to hot water.
5.5kW PV (off grid) + 20kWh lead acid battery storage, Solamiser diverter to hot water.
Mike123

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »

Hi

Could you please tell me how to know the difference between the old and new version of the SP2000?
I presume a firmware upgrade (if available) wouldn't turn an old version into a new version?
I ask I just picked up an SP2000 off a popular auction site, it's only been setup a day but the battery is at 100% now, but no discharging has occurred even though I'm importing off the grid, so I presume I have the old version? Or do you have "do something" to them to make them go into forced discharge mode? I just found a later manual than the one I have, and it mentions that the instruction are "on the CD".
Finally on the side it says Daily Night Electricity Consumption 2~9kWh - what's that all about?? It surely can't use more than it produces?

Thanks
Mike
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:43:03 PM by Mike123 » Logged
Tinbum

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »

Hi

Could you please tell me how to know the difference between the old and new version of the SP2000?
I presume a firmware upgrade (if available) wouldn't turn an old version into a new version?
I ask I just picked up an SP2000 off a popular auction site, it's only been setup a day but the battery is at 100% now, but no discharging has occurred even though I'm importing off the grid, so I presume I have the old version? Or do you have "do something" to them to make them go into forced discharge mode? I just found a later manual than the one I have, and it mentions that the instruction are "on the CD".
Finally on the side it says Daily Night Electricity Consumption 2~9kWh - what's that all about?? It surely can't use more than it produces?

Thanks
Mike

I have the CD with the instructions that I can e mail to you if you PM and send your  e mail. I can't attach as the file is too big.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
tapgrove

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »

Hi Tinbum,
interested in your posts - I've also just purchased an SP2000 unit off eBay cheaply and installed this (understand it's been taken out of an installation which moved over to micro inverters which I believe are incompatible with it hence why it was removed). Installation was no issues, but I was surprised to see it didn't discharge by default until the solar pv output dropped all the way down to zero (very late at night currently).. I'd originally (maybe naively) assumed it would simply kick into discharge mode whenever the house load was greater than pv output, assuming it had charge in it - even if this was the middle of the day. Understand from the previous posts on here, and a bit of research, that this isn't the default mode but can be enabled?
 I see on the wifi accessed phone app that there's a selection which can be made to enable this, but it needs a password. I've also seen references to this needing to be done through a PC with the Shineplusbus software. I've downloaded this, and have a usb to rs232 dongle for comms, but wondered if you had any definitive instructions for what I need to set? something I read mentioned taking some measurements from the panels and setting these (based on a certain formula?) at the same time as enabling the forced discharge mode? did you go through these steps by any chance, and have anything written down which may guide me?
Would appreciate any help / instructions you might have on this - and also any inputs into whether you think this is worth doing? I guess one negative may be that it could presumably shorten battery life given it's likely to result in more discharge / charge cycles of the cells?

Regards,
JOnathan
nowty

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 10:17:55 PM »

Mike123 and Tapgrove

The link below takes you to a PDF document, page 9 to 12 of this gives the instructions for enabling the "Forced Discharge" function.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiEkoXX4dDTAhUGK8AKHfu_B0QQFghOMAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsolaradvice.co.za%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F10%2FGrowatt-Storage-Solution-Practical.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEgrhiKzq18u5qONzj3_dtpTvtEuA

You will need a laptop running windows and install the ShinePlusBus software,
http://www.growatt.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ShinePlusBus%201.1-20160323.zip

And one of these cables,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Serial-Adapter-High-Quality-FTDI-CHIPSET-RS232-BT232-WIN-7-8-10-DB9-/151406431857?hash=item234086ce71:g:aWgAAOSwhlZYsbrR

Dont buy a cheaper non FTDI chipset cable as they require driver software and might not work even if you know what you are doing.

Tinbum

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Hi Tinbum,
interested in your posts - I've also just purchased an SP2000 unit off eBay cheaply and installed this (understand it's been taken out of an installation which moved over to micro inverters which I believe are incompatible with it hence why it was removed). Installation was no issues, but I was surprised to see it didn't discharge by default until the solar pv output dropped all the way down to zero (very late at night currently).. I'd originally (maybe naively) assumed it would simply kick into discharge mode whenever the house load was greater than pv output, assuming it had charge in it - even if this was the middle of the day. Understand from the previous posts on here, and a bit of research, that this isn't the default mode but can be enabled?
 I see on the wifi accessed phone app that there's a selection which can be made to enable this, but it needs a password. I've also seen references to this needing to be done through a PC with the Shineplusbus software. I've downloaded this, and have a usb to rs232 dongle for comms, but wondered if you had any definitive instructions for what I need to set? something I read mentioned taking some measurements from the panels and setting these (based on a certain formula?) at the same time as enabling the forced discharge mode? did you go through these steps by any chance, and have anything written down which may guide me?
Would appreciate any help / instructions you might have on this - and also any inputs into whether you think this is worth doing? I guess one negative may be that it could presumably shorten battery life given it's likely to result in more discharge / charge cycles of the cells?

Regards,
JOnathan

Hi Jonathan, Sorry for no reply, been laid up with a bad back and no computer. Think nowty has answered your questions.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tinbum

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »

Have you seen the prices that these are now going for on that auction site?
I may list my secondhand one on there and buy a brand new one out of the money. Huh

nowty

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »

Have you seen the prices that these are now going for on that auction site?
I may list my secondhand one on there and buy a brand new one out of the money. Huh

I have just noticed that those high bids have now been retracted.

Tinbum

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »

Yes strange. Huh There was a used controller that went for just under new price the other day as well.

Is anyone able to tell me which of the 2 pins are used by the wired ct in the RJ45 8 pin connector?

tapgrove

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »

Hi folks - just to check back in and say thanks for the help - got this all up and running now and seems to be working really well...
I also have another unit to install at my parents - hoping that goes smoothly as well.. although I didn't know at the time of purchase that the forced discharge only seems to be available post a certain date of manufacture which now has me slightly worried I've bought an older unit which doesn't have the option.. not sure whether this times to a particular firmware version and is therefore easily checked, or whether I just need to see if the same options are open to select in the PC software, but fingers crossed!

Thanks
JOnathan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: