navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Bought a Mountain.  (Read 14840 times)
offthegridandy

« on: February 22, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

I hope I'm not the only one who still reads books for pleasure. I recently lent and have just had returned one of my favourites.

I Bought a Mountain by Thomas Firbank.

A Canadian who came to Wales in the 1930's and bought a Snowdon Hill farm and had adventures learning his way around.

One chapter describes damming a small valley with turf, excavating leats across the hills to pick up more streams.  Then having a Hydro system installed to give leccy for the house and shearing pens.

Another chapter includes a story of taking mature pigs to market with the porker escaping from the "back of the car" and trapping some poor soul in the public conveniences in Bethesda.

It's a carrpy day out side now so give your self a treat and have a read, I thoroughly recommend it.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »

Another chapter includes a story of taking mature pigs to market with the porker escaping from the "back of the car" and trapping some poor soul in the public conveniences in Bethesda.

Andy

hysteria  hysteria Yup, I can relate to that our pigs 'free range' over a few hundred acres

and despite all the signs I've put up

people are still surprised to see them.

They're even more surprised when they try and get in the car or tent though  hysteria  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

Encouraging enough review  for me - snaffled one from eBay. Only wish it was on the iBook list, sounds the sort of read for a holiday.
Cheers Andy
Chas
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »

Yes Andy,
       I will give that book a go, thanks. I am in the middle of an" Unforgivable Blackness" by G.C Ward.
  Not bad, I fell out of the bookcase and there was Jack Johnston on the cover.
  It tells you an awful lot about America.
                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
skyewright

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like my kind of book (actually I have many categories of 'my kind of book' - we don't have a TV).

At least some sellers seem to consider this one a collectors item (i.e. silly money), but I found a reasonably priced one on a river related popular online supplier...  Grin

PS. If you want an amusing farming related read sometime try 'Clarts and Calamities The Diary of a Peasant Farmer' by Henry Brewis.

I'll borrow a description I just found on the 'popular online supplier' (it's probably on the jacket, but I can't lay my hands on my copy just now

"A fictional but very believable farming year in diary form: 'This is a year in the life of a bloke who'll never drive a Porsche, seldom wear a tie, and doesn't commute to work, because he's there already. He's been there since the first ewe lambed, the first cow was milked and the first field harvested . and he still hasn't made any money (or so he says).'".

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
offthegridandy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

I think Henry Brewis has produced a number of farming related cartoon/books.  Well worth a read and giggle.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
donegal

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »

I certainly agree with Andy on this one, a very enjoyable read, my recall is that whilst i was reading it i felt i should be outside
doing something worthwhile such as digging drains, building walls, etc.. anything but sitting around reading a book.

Biff, ive a copy i can drop over, if your interested.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »

Hi Donegal,
           That is very decent of you, Thank you,
  If you could give me a ring before you land over, I will make sure to be here..
  Bad storm forecast for tomorrow and will affect you,, so don,t forget to tie everything down.
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
TheFairway
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »

Thanks for recommendation. I bought used from AbeBooks.co.uk - seem to be plenty more available at reasonable price and condition for those interested - unlike huge prices on Amazon... Never used AbeBooks before so its not a recommendation.
offthegridandy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »

Hope you guys enjoy a read then.

Shall I issue a reading list for this term?

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
mike-b-

merseyside

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »

yes please not to technical i am a bit dim!  Roll Eyes I Bought a copy too looking forward to it coming.

cheers

10x230 yingli +aurora2000 ,woodburner, 5x250 hyundia +sunnyboy 1200,  i waste nothing everything is useful i just havent found a use for it yet! Rainwater harvesting ibc system. 270w offgrid in hol home
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »

Hi Donegal,
         Thank you for the book. Just missed you by seconds. Had hands full with kids/scrabble and cooking.
          Will look after the book carefully until you get it back fingers crossed!
                                                  Biff

TheFairway
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »

Flipin heck - im going to need to buy a pair of glasses to be able to read it as the text is so small.

My copy arrived today. Not great condition (pages very yellow but otherwise fair) but it was printed in 1975 and was only a couple of quid so can be excused. I expect a few people have enjoyed this copy. Probably had better eyes than mine.
skyewright

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »

My copy arrived today. Not great condition (pages very yellow but otherwise fair) but it was printed in 1975 and was only a couple of quid so can be excused. I expect a few people have enjoyed this copy. Probably had better eyes than mine.
My copy cost a couple of quid more than that but even so I was surprised to find that it turned out to be an original 1946 printing. Obviously well read, but very fair condition. The print size is not large, but not unusually small either - I'll put my reading glasses on when I settle down to it, but for comfort rather than necessity.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »

Well, Cheers#1 Andy, finished 'mountain' last night, and what a good read it is too. It reminded me of Henry Williamson's ' A story of a Norfolk Farm' which similarly charts a relative novice in pre-war farming - though of a different kind and without the irritating sanctimoniousness. Mine copy too was a curiously miniature paperback edition, I'll look out for a hardback to keep. Boy, these guys had energy. Fair wore me out just reading about it, and as for Esme...

Chas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: