navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Bought a Mountain.  (Read 5435 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »

Finally,
        I got time to finish the book. Thomas drove off on Arabella to the continent in 1939 and never returned to live in Dyffryn. In 1947 he signed the place over to Esme or Mrs Kirby so he made the break without malice which was decent of him. She farmed Dyffryn for 70 years and Thomas , who remarried, lived to a respectable 90 years, so dipping sheep did not seem to affect their lifespan terribly.
 Esme was an interesting lady and by all accounts liked to have her way, Initially i thought that Thomas was the driving force but no, it was Esme the relentless one.Interestingly, Thomas came out at Dunkirk and then went desert fighting, suffering from sun blindness but served with distinction,He wrote another book, " I bought a Star" his second marriage produced two daughters. Esme caught mumps in her late teens, Esme was the kind of lady that I could certainly admire but from a distance. Her driving would cure any romantic notions in me hysteria. It is possible that she was having a laugh at her passengers expense but i doubt it. She was just a totally reckless driver. Both of them in their day unashamedly loved speed and drove everywhere at full throttle.
                    Biff
  PS Donegal, I will drop your copy down to you next time I am down your way or maybe you might be passing by here, I will pm you. Thanks,

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:46:00 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 05:54:11 PM »

I'm so pleased you've all enjoyed the book,  I love the chapter about putting in the turbine . Also the character who can carry huge slabs of stone.  "Lift them "Flammers on my back" and off he goes up the hill with a massive load.

Now this months good read will probably be classified as science fiction/fantasy.  Don't be put of.  It's an exploration of post apocalypse living and how nature could rapidly start to heal in the virtual absence of mankind. The central character is a geologist who survives (obviously) the disaster which overtakes man and as a scientist he starts to observe the changes about him.  As he gathers other survivors to him a small beacon is lit in the darkness and life goes on, differently.

I've no idea if this is in print but I've reread it quite a few times and think it's a good read.

Earth Abides. By George R Stewart.

First published Victor Gollancz 1950, wow didn't realise it was to forward looking at it's time.  Corgi edition reissued 1973.

Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up