navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Essential Battery Tool  (Read 1764 times)
camillitech

« on: February 27, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »

Sadly, I am a little obsessed with my batteries, partly cos a lot of my time at work is taken over by maintaining them but also cos they're the heart of my 'off grid' system and I fecked hunners of them before 'seeing the light'. We've all been there and often despair at 'greenhorns' who go down the liesure/car battery route despite all the good advice to the contrary. Me, I'm a sad case and log my SG's, voltages and temperatures every six months now. I used to do it monthly at first as that's the schedule at work but nowadays it's just a couple of times a year and today was the day.

Everytime someone on here and elswhere says they have or suspect a battery issue, I tells em, buy one of these

it doesn't have to be a 100 Fluke a tenner off eBlag will do. An infra red thermometer will save you acres of grief weeks or months down the line.

And here is why, a dodgy connection on one of the interconnectors that is 3 degrees warmer than all the others, not even enough to detect by feel but a sure sign that 'summat is afoot'  sh*tfan

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »

Thanks Paul, useful tool and a good tip.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »

Aye Andy,

it has a hundred and one other uses too, from checking the height of a liquid in a large tank to taking the dugs/pigs/hens temperature. It is a little like a ratchet strap, cordless drill or 3ton digger, you will wonder how you ever reached 60 without owning one  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Greenbeast

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »

Aye Andy,

it has a hundred and one other uses too, from checking the height of a liquid in a large tank to taking the dugs/pigs/hens temperature. It is a little like a ratchet strap, cordless drill or 3ton digger, you will wonder how you ever reached 60 without owning one  hysteria

ha ha, you're so right and i'm only 34
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »

Great suggestion Paul.
Thermal leaks on the house without thermal imaging?

Kidwelly South Wales
Fionn

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

I picked up a CatS60 phone a while back.
It's on the pricey side but you can buy the sensor on it's own for about $250 and plug it into other smart phones.
http://www.catphones.com/en-gb/features/integrated-thermal-imaging
Has proven very useful!

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Westie

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »

On the subject of useful tools...  I found this little temp data logger very useful, it stores 16000 points at any interval between 0-24hrs. Usb interface allows data download, supplied with an app which graphs it up with excel.   Has a thermocouple probe supplied and also has an internal ambient sensor. Accurate to a couple of degrees either way, I've had it on constant hourly logging of my solar thermal loop for two years now - still on the same battery!   

Again - 10 sqid on eblag!  If you need to monitor multiple points buy multiple loggers Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16000-Point-USB-Temperature-Data-Logger-Datalogger-Recorder-with-External-Sensor-/131865779406?hash=item1eb3d01cce:g:MxgAAOSwRH5XKbSE

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:02:04 AM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Fionn

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »

That looks very good Westie.
I have one of these 4 channel K type thermocouple thermometers.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm//171488884355
Found it good for looking at my solar thermal setup, gives simultaneous readings of 4 inputs so you can look at temerature drop across heat exchangers, flow and return etc.
No logging or anything but useful none the less.

* s-l1600.jpg (28.63 KB, 480x320 - viewed 225 times.)

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Stevieboy118

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 02:05:07 PM »

Great suggestion Paul.
Thermal leaks on the house without thermal imaging?

We're in a cornish unit, i'd rather find places where the heat ISN'T escaping! Angry

Threads like this are why this place is a bad influence on me, like i don't already spend enough on random ebay tat! (already got the IR thermometer!)

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: