navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nissan Xstorage  (Read 987 times)
MeatyFool

« on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »

https://www.nissan.co.uk/experience-nissan/electric-vehicle-leadership/xstorage-by-nissan.html

Hmmm,  from memory the prices seem better than Tesla's Powerwall, but then again, second hand batteries.

Yes, I'm interested.  But first, questions.

I know I will need a new inverter that handles shipping excess production to the batteries.  If this new inverter can limit the export to 16A (or whatever the rule is), could I get DNO approval to add excess PV over and above what I have at present (currently maxed out).

I presume I could I have a second standalone (non-grid tied) battery attached system, but how would I switch between grid and battery - is it possible?

Seriously considering a Leaf as my next car - Billi probably wouldn't like the idea of PV charging home batteries in order to charge car batteries!

Meatyfool..

TheFairway
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »

Nice looking unit. Starting price indeed looks lower than Tesla but Tesla has more capacity - I didn't see any noticed price reference to the other capacities - 6kWh first life at Eur 6k ex installation.

Would be interesting to know how warranty works - with pre loved batteries and the like.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:51:42 PM by TheFairway » Logged
RIT

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »

I know I will need a new inverter that handles shipping excess production to the batteries.  If this new inverter can limit the export to 16A (or whatever the rule is), could I get DNO approval to add excess PV over and above what I have at present (currently maxed out).

Currently one of the few options that seems to be available is from SMA, where a device monitors the export current and then tells the PV inverter to vary its output so that the total export does not go above the 16A limit. Such a solution allows other non-integrated equipment to be added to a home, but I'm guessing that you could end up with a number of current clamps all trying to monitor the current flow so that things can consume current. Another issue seems to be that when I last looked at their offerings their largest single phase inverter seemed to be around 6kW, which did not seem large enough to make such a solution worth while.

In terms of "charging home batteries in order to charge car batteries!", the only issue is the lifetime cost of the home batteries which you have to take into account before you bother. You can get this down to about 5p per kWh when using large lead acid batteries, but you would not want to bother with most solutions as their life costs will be far greater than just using grid based power via E7 or better still the new overnight 4p per kWh offering than has just been launched.

Its a shame that the info on the xstorage page is so limited. It's only going to be worth worrying about once pricing for much larger packs becomes available. At the moment second hand 24kWh batteries can be purchased for under 9,000 and you get a free car thrown in  whistlie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:05:30 AM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: