navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seasonal tilting ground mount  (Read 9813 times)
eabadger

« on: March 31, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »

Hi, Just started the seasonal tilting ground mount, we have loads of land so ground mount seemed best, we were going to fit trackers but even homemade will have a cost and extra things to go wrong.
basic idea is 3 concrete embedded scaffold poles with 1.7m showing above ground, these will be front and rear braced again with scaff poles, i was going to use Biff's excellent idea of the modified scaffold swivals, but we have used some other stuff at work, so i decided to give it a go.
the joints and swivels arrived but 3 parts were wrongly picked so am currently waiting for the correct parts, plan is to install 12 x 270w panels approximately 1660 x 990.
the tilting idea may or may not bear fruit, but like most things i have done it will be a learning experience, our current array is on the solar shed and the angle is far to low, so only the midsummer sun gives us full output, but due to lack of knowledge when i fitted them 6+ years ago they have no rear ventilation and loose power, plan is to change all this when we have the new array finished.

when the missing parts arrive i will start making the unistrut frame.

* IMG_0719.JPG (95.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 616 times.)

* IMG_0740.JPG (154.84 KB, 640x480 - viewed 586 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »

Neat Steve,
           Very nice indeed. I had a friend who used to supply me with scaffold pole, Planks and all sorts. he became agents for those fittings about 6 years ago and was on to me to buy a load off him.
 That T coupling was costing me 14 euros each and I stuck with the ordinary scaffolding fittings. However, I discovered that i could make a very nice tilting tower out of that type new couplings and a few scaffold tubes. Strong enough to carry a 600watt Y/S wind turbine.
   The only problem was, The vibrations from the W/T was slackening the allen keys and also boring into the steel scaffold tube, so It had to be used in conjunction with the ordinary scaffold cliips, fine for tilting but not for locking into place.
It is perfect for your situation and will leave a very classy job,
I look forward to seeing the progress.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »

Cracking Steve, Did you import the tubes? Looking forward to seeing future posts.
eabadger

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »

post lady had just delivered the missing bits  Cheesy
so this afternoon i plan to get them and the ground plates fitted, so building can carry on!!
still no news on getting pv delivered so looks like a trip to Poiters in near future.
weather has been good and we are looking forward to not relying on the red diesel so much.
plan is next trip to uk get two Heatpumps, one just for dhw and second to add to underfloor heating if we get excess solar or wind.
after the array is finished plan is to redo solar shed roof array, then fit the 13mt windturbine tower, how big a bit of concrete will that need?

steve

* IMG_0749.JPG (117.45 KB, 640x480 - viewed 539 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »

"How big a bit of concrete will the W/T need"
            That depends on wheither it is a guyed tower or a stand alone one/ tilting one.
 Then you take into consideration the weight of the turnip but Paul has recently done the base for a 6kw Proven which he bolted to Scotland,and lavished it with 8mtrs of concrete genuflect
 I have a 2 kw turnip the anchors have half a meter min each one has the full mtr. the base of the actual turbine is only 600mmsq x 300mm deep.
If you can spare the room,Go for the guyed tower, it lowers and raises safer in rough weather.
The guys also act as vibration dampers and distribute the noise and vibration while braking over a greater area.
It is all important to make sure that the geometry for the anchors and the base of the tower is correct. This makes lowering and raising an easy choir.
Mine goes up and down in minutes with the touch of a button. There was one time it came down a bit quicker than I intended  sh*tfan but I have forgiven myself for that.
 At the same time, I have already renewed the 8 guys every 2 years (3 times) Cry and I guess with the stand alone tower,,that would be a saving.
                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

wind turbine tower is an ex airport 13mt lamp post, i couldnt move it in one piece so i cut it up, but by luck the diameter was same as mains gas pipe, so my mate the gas pipe welder flanged it all up so it will bolt back together square.
our topsoil is about 12" deep you then hit a shale type layer that is like granite, i was going for a 1,5mt cube? the the 3 or 4 guys, i have a homemade piggot turbine and a factory one i acquired.
i was going to get local farmer to lift it with the manitou, will i need to drop it in the wind? it is on a short mast at teh moment and i just brake it if things get hairy.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »

the tubes i had already, bought them over 7 years ago to access building  the new roof, nearly used it all now so may go an get a trailer full from uk, there is a scaffolding manufacturer in Mayenne, but i think it is lightweight stuff, will check it out one day.

anyway got the tubes cut and set out for forward and aft bracing, not screwed down the base brace supports yet, got to get some more chemfix and threaded bar.
tested the tilt and it works a treat, i will be putting lock stays on corners, not worked that out yet, but will.

* IMG_0753.JPG (178.53 KB, 640x480 - viewed 565 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »

did not see your earlier post Biff, t pieces are 9 inc vat.
i did wonder about wear on the screws or pipe, if i notice any i will drill and tap the pipe all the way through.
i will be keeping a close eye on it once done.
pivoting in the T and then locking afterwards is plan, dont think month on month it will make a lot of difference but may do? certainly low winter sun will prefer a steeper angle and low in middle of summer.
if it make no difference i have lost nothing really and will just lock it in one place.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Sean

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »

will i need to drop it in the wind? it is on a short mast at teh moment and i just brake it if things get hairy.

If it's a mechanical brake you'll likely be fine, if it's just shorting the coils you'll likely cook the stator in a proper blow
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »

Pay special attention to your geometry on your turbine lay out if you are using guys. Get it right and it is easy to raise and lower get it wrong, and you will be fiddling around in the wind and rain.  Biff's advice to me and really appreciated.
With the benefit of perfect hindsight I would have gone for a system that was easier to raise and lower than a tirfor, that I used, never had an accident but spent several nervous times when winds arrived much more severe than forecast.
offthegridandy

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »

Steve, Pauls' probably the expert on the size of concrete lump. It partly depends on the size of the lump on the top and swept area of blades and ground conditions.

I have a "guide line" for a 12 mtr tower (free standing) from a planning application which shows a 2.5 X 2.5 X 1  mtr deep concrete block.  The turbine on top was rated at 6 Kw (5mtr dia?) with 202Kg vertical  load and the tower is designed for 5800 Newton side thrust @ 60Mtr sec wind speed. The design has a substantial rebar set up with an anchor plate built in.

There is a firm in Cheshire called Hutchinsons who manufacture many of the 9 to 15 mtr towers that Proven and the like use.  They may advise I as they produce detailed foundation drawings for their tower designs. 

Hope that helps.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
eabadger

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »

just measured it and tip to base is 10m, i plan to make a groundplate for the tilting part at the bottom, it was designed to tilt.
so will get a load of reinforcing mesh and tie the studs in to all this.
center section already has 3 equal distant guys attached, my only issue with the guying is my neighbor when he mows my grass, dont want to decapitate him.

steve

* IMG_0760.JPG (188.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 436 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
skyewright

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

my only issue with the guying is my neighbor when he mows my grass, dont want to decapitate him.
Over recent years SSE have taken to putting a 'sleeve' on the wire stays of their poles around here. Bright yellow! Looks to me very like MDPE pipe? I'm not sure if it's an 'Elfin Safety gone mad' thing to prevent people (or sheep!) accidentally walking into them, or just to stop the sheep rubbing against them ease the odd itch?!

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
going green

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »

the tubes i had already, bought them over 7 years ago to access building  the new roof, nearly used it all now so may go an get a trailer full from uk, there is a scaffolding manufacturer in Mayenne, but i think it is lightweight stuff, will check it out one day.

anyway got the tubes cut and set out for forward and aft bracing, not screwed down the base brace supports yet, got to get some more chemfix and threaded bar.
tested the tilt and it works a treat, i will be putting lock stays on corners, not worked that out yet, but will.

i see the forward and aft bracing but what are you going to use for side to side movement 
or have i missed something
eabadger

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »

the turbine mast has three equally spaced guy wires, plus the central "lump" i am going to excavate.
must measure diameter of turbine, i got secondhand about 7 years ago and had been up a few years then.

no news on tilting solar as stalled at getting the pv, but have a rendezvous with supplier for Wednesday at 1400 so fingers crossed, end of next week all on line and much power!! 

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: