navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My DIY off grid system.  (Read 26080 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »

Wow, very nice work indeed.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
Scruff

« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2017, 01:34:28 AM »

genuflect

Don't believe the hype-ite.  Tongue
I'm backing carbon film to take the title from FLA in static traction. It'll be safe for a few years yet.

Are your bus bars 2-ply Kibi?

What's wrong with ANLs d'ya not like plasma?

I've started fusing Ground Sense leads...think about it...
Makes shunts a pain in the hoop but so are fires...

RE: The Cheater Cable, have a look for TrueCon they plug into themselves...PowerCon are a nuisance...especially because they're an otherwise top terminal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:41:29 AM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »

Work of art Kibi,
      Genuine , exciting stuff genuflect
    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
kibi

« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »

genuflect

Don't believe the hype-ite.  Tongue
I'm backing carbon film to take the title from FLA in static traction. It'll be safe for a few years yet.

Are your bus bars 2-ply Kibi?

They are either 2 or 4 ply depending upon whether I am using 0.7mm or 0.35mm thickness copper.

What's wrong with ANLs d'ya not like plasma?

I only like plasma when welding or cutting, plasma in a battery box is out of place. I ought to install the fuse in a box of some sort to contain the blast.

I've started fusing Ground Sense leads...think about it...
Makes shunts a pain in the hoop but so are fires...

The thought actually occurred to me when I has wiring the sense lead into the multiplus. I thought about what would happen if the GND sense wire were to come into contact with the BAT+ terminal.

RE: The Cheater Cable, have a look for TrueCon they plug into themselves...PowerCon are a nuisance...especially because they're an otherwise top terminal.

Another advantage of TrueCon is that they are break rated, PowerCon is not.
I'm only using PowerCon because I have many of them in my parts bin.
Scruff

« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

They are either 2 or 4 ply depending upon whether I am using 0.7mm or 0.35mm thickness copper.

That's how industry do it because of AC skin effect. Seems to me like inviting moisture wicking induced corrosion problems. Probably be grand, wouldn't do it on a boat though. Keep the powder dry.

I only like plasma when welding or cutting, plasma in a battery box is out of place. I ought to install the fuse in a box of some sort to contain the blast.

Yer into high end if you want to avoid it. The sortov short circuit currents you'll see with that accumulator it's hard to avoid it in a catastrophic failure.

The fuse isn't exactly the problem it's the slow blow nature, the plasma will originate from the loosest connection in the fault condition. ie. where the spanner meets the chassis.

On the plus side if you get a super fast interrupting fuse then you might stand a chance of not blowing yer FETs if there's a lekytronic fault.

I'm very tempted short circuit a copper rod through the eye of a clamp meter just to see the ANL rupture current. Don't fancy exploding a battery though if it goes wrong.

The thought actually occurred to me when I has wiring the sense lead into the multiplus. I thought about what would happen if the GND sense wire were to come into contact with the BAT+ terminal.

A more likely fault is the system is neg. grounded and the bus ground drops sending load currents down the sense wires.

Another advantage of TrueCon is that they are break rated, PowerCon is not.

Ah they're grand...what's the matter dya not like plasma?  ralph
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:19:24 PM by Scruff » Logged
kibi

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »

System update.
It's been 2 months already! The LiFePO4 battery is working well. Over time, I have been gradually pushing the limits. I initially limited the SOC to 60% and watching the cell voltages.
I have only lowered the SOC limit if I'm confident that the sun will come out to play the next day and restore SOC to 100%. All cell voltages remain very close until about 50% SOC, at this point the old white cells start to drift lower than the new yellow Winston cells. I'm now down to 45% SOC limit with the high and low cells 0.08V apart. Lowering the SOC limit is an attended process.
I'll keep lowering the SOC limit until things start to get silly.

I have included a second charge controller, also a 150/35. Now I can utilise the full power of my PV array rather than it being limited by the charge controller hitting it maximum limit.

I received some Amazon vouchers for Christmas and decided to spend them on some toys. I bought a couple of RaspberryPi's and an "Alexa".
I decided to experiment with getting Alexa integrated with my Victron setup. I am using NodeRed to interface between Alexa and the Victron. Functionality is pretty basic at the moment because it is all operating on my LAN, no "skills" or AWS cloud. I will improve things in due course.
NodeRed listens for commands from Alexa, converts the variables and the passes the numerical value (0 or 100) to the Victron side using MODBUS-TCP.

The video below demonstrates Alexa disabling and enabling the battery.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2LVeW4B2pOc
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: