navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallholding beginning on renewable/sustainable path  (Read 3872 times)
charlieb

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »

if you have a grid connection I really don't see why you'd want to anywhere near batteries. but each to their own. Great looking set up, and as per everyone else: Nice stonework. Our retired gentleman has very sadly retired for good recently so my walls look more like pauls than yours. (That's where they get repaired at all.)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »

I would echo Charlie if you are worried about power cuts a small standby gennie is cheaper for emergencies than batteries with absolutely no faffing.
Probably get shouted down but if you are on the grid why even think about batteries.
Spend the dosh on more PV to reduce your dependence on grid power.
Don't forget the forum mantra, Insulate Insulate Insulate!!!
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »

Andi ,

Was more of a joke ,  i had pervekt conditions and since a kid i  always wanted a water-turbine  ....

Anyway to you go for a fit install if PV ? re nice  hybrid inverters that work off grid , and ongrid chargers  ,  so while the grid is there  you reduce your electricity bill and even at night  , and when grid fails you have power  ,  a  fork lift battery is  in my eyes by far still the most economic storage idea today

Sure the setup i have (off grid)  could do the same   like above , but i guess  would go the route of above nowadays

Regards Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Farmer Giles

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »

Good questions about batteries, whether I need them or not guys. Exactly why I joined the forum Smiley

I must admit I'm not absolutely sure, the main things for now is firstly to solve the boiler quench problem to avoid buying a pressure vessel that may be redundant in future so I can get the boiler installed and secondly to have some standby power as the infrastructure up here is a bit ancient. I have an old electric start gennie, I shall see if that will get me by until I can get up to speed.

Solar Focus 30kW log/pellet boiler (in progress), bore hole/spring water, wet underfloor heating, wood stove, heat recovery ventilation, oh and a wind-up torch.
mr smith

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »

That is some pretty stone work! genuflect

Farmer Giles

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »

That is some pretty stone work! genuflect

thanks, Smiley

I have the same guy working on the new field shelter to use up the last of the faced stone before somebody decides it's not mine and takes it Wink

Solar Focus 30kW log/pellet boiler (in progress), bore hole/spring water, wet underfloor heating, wood stove, heat recovery ventilation, oh and a wind-up torch.
Farmer Giles

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »

Sorry about the amount of time since my last update but several spanners were thrown into the works. Firstly my wife broke her leg skiing, then I had to have neurosurgery  tomatosplat. Back on track now though, I hope!

The boiler installation is nearing completion. We will be commissioning it in early October.

I have about 4 IBC cages (circa 1.6 tonne) of well seasoned logs, probably around 14% moisture however I will be needing around 9 tonne in total give or take for the coming winter depending how much we rely on pellets if we get lazy or are away. So I have just ordered 6 tonne of seasoned logs from my local arboriculturalist for a very good price. I will be buying some greener wood soon after to season myself.

The next hurdle is whether to go for the RHI or not. There has been a recent update to biomass to 6.54p per kWh up to 25kWh heat demand from 20th September so it just about makes it worth the hassle. One of the concerns is wood providence etc. There  is nothing greener than getting wood from a nearby arboriculturalist that he has obtained from pruning and felling trees in the course of his work. However keeping a log of it (pardon the pun) may prove difficult, it is not as clear cut as obtaining it from a certified forest etc. etc.

I shall keep a log of where I obtained the wood along with receipts and if it does not comply they can stick their RHI where the sun doesn't do a solar PV panel any good  Grin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: