navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seasonal tilting ground mount  (Read 9042 times)
eabadger

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »

ok, first set 1620w on line and what a difference it has made, bit more scientific with the tilt angle, i have a solar iridescence meter and optimum was 55* which was spot on what online calculator said.
highest input we have ever had was 8800w in bright sunny day, yesterday we did 10500w in slightly overcast weather, checked and new panels are running at half the temperature of the old ones even those these are now off load, so my guess at overheating may have been correct.
the gate opperators/screw rams worked on test fine, but i need to put in a small concrete base for each which will have to wait, i have chain locked the panels for high wind.
but on whole very chuffed.

steve

* IMG_0794.JPG (135.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 327 times.)

* IMG_0795.JPG (119.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 344 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Stugadget

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »

One I did last year, well I did the electrics!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:09:20 PM by Stugadget » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »

can it tilt? if not looks at a summer angle optimization?
i see you have used the same connectors, they ok after a year? any go loose?
are bases concreted in?
any problems in wind?
and have you earthed them or relied on fact it is metal to metal? i have been asking around as we do get some big leccy storms here

steve
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:15:49 AM by eabadger » Logged

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
Fionn

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »

If you're concerned about lightning, the best thing you could do would be to install a pole at either end of the array, slightly to the rear of the panels, a few metres from each end and maybe double in the overall height.
Run a decent sized wire between the two poles, down to the ground and bury a few metres of it bare at either end and you should be well shielded.
Obviously bonding the panels and frames together will help also.
eabadger

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »

wierd day today, started replacing the roof on the solar shed having now stripped pv off it.
weather was lovely first thing sunny and warm, it then got cold and at 11 it snowed!!
so slating in the snow, nice!
then phone rang and youngest son had an accident at school, he and wife spent afternoon in hospital ct scan the lot.
so then the new pv produced more than i thought, i saw a pmax of 2000w!!! then an over current alarm, eek. just got response back from morningstar nothing to worry about they are designed for over sized arrays, thank goodness, but begs the question this due to temperature or are my 270w panels 330w?

steve

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »

Yes they are Steve,
                    In the right bright sunny condition with low temperature, you will have no bother getting 30% more than the rated output,
  I used to just go by the specs on the panels but over the years,I have learned to keep and close watch on that kind of thing. I have had 2 x 165watt x 35vmp panels, supposedly rated @ 330watt output, They were used to fill a 48volt forklift batts which drove a 400watt cement mixer and all kinds of power tools, the controllers was often showing  56 volts x 8.5 amps and still on the dump load which meant that the panels were just short of putting put 500watts instead of the rated 330 watts. The mixer was 400watts and it did not even take the controller off the dump load.
I have seen other examples of this in nearly every case,where the rated wattage is always under rated., in good sunlight ,in cold weather.
                                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
going green

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 11:59:09 PM »

Sorry about the removal of the image it was done so as the request of the manufacturer because of copyright infringement.

what size tube did you use O/D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:41:15 AM by todthedog » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:17 AM »

but begs the question this due to temperature or are my 270w panels 330w?

+1% per 2C below 20 25C
Rated at 1000W p/m input.

MS recommend only loading their controllers to 80% rated in accordance to NEC compliance, but they themselves design them to handle 120% rated before they get grumpy.  signofcross
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:51:09 AM by Scruff » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »

morningstar said in email last night no upper limit on mppt controllers, controller will not be phased by over size, only thing he grumbeled at is i only have one temp sensor connected at moment.
maybe non mppt have an upper limit?
he reiterated going above oc voltage was a way to realise magic black stuff.
so i was releaved.

we used standard scaffold tube 48.3mm.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »

Yurp they've got adjustable current limiting too with MSView. Best in the bizness!

PWM has no such feature but hey, that's why we draw specs.

but, but, but Steve I sent you a link to 0.04 temperature sensors that work flawlessly!

You only want one really and parallel the tails between controllers.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »

I think you are safer to overspec,
                     Experience, not know how or intelligence has shown me that certain months and conditions will trick the arrays into producing much more that normal..March was always the month that blew all my early controllers. I have told this to the members here on many occasions and I wondered why it was that March could do what the rest of the hot summer months could not do. Trawling through reams of posts on different forums years ago, I came across this business of "Cloud shield" which is a very strange name for what actually happens but there it was,,
The winter fades into the background, the days get longer but it is still very cold with bright sunshine, there is a lot of water in the air and it rises up and forms a kind of magnifying effect on the edge of the clouds,this can hang around for weeks on end and during that time the solar arrays will produce a lot more than their controllers are capable of handling,
This weird name"Cloud Shield" has now been changed to a different name but dam,d if I can remember it,, But I do remember the Black smelly smoke each march on our early 12volt installation.
                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Fionn

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »

Long post on it here Biff:
http://forums.energymatters.com.au/solar-wind-gear/topic1507.html
Can be referred to as cloud edge effect, cloud lensing etc.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

Yes Fionn,
        That is it.Thank you.
                          Biff

eabadger

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »

we will keep an eye on it, my guess is they dont know value of panels they have so they plumped for lowest spec.
Bosch stopped solar pv production a few years ago so these have been hanging around.
but we will see, 19:00 here and batteries still in absorption, had power tools on all day, deep fat fryer last night, immersion this afternoon, well chuffed.
roof on solar shed now slated ready to put original pv back on, will put a skeletal like unistrut frame over it somehow.
then got to re do the solar shed interior, fit new controllers and inverters, move all away from batteries, fit second set of batteries, load to do.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Stugadget

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »

One I did last year, well I did the electrics!

Stugadget

what size tube did you use O/D

I just did the electrics more details here http://www.solar-frames.co.uk/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:10:38 PM by Stugadget » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: