navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small ASHP (Split system) Install  (Read 5065 times)
Pressure

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »

So it's basically a fan heater? Or more accurately, an air con unit that also does heating? Cool.
Fionn

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »

Yes, generally all aircon units can heat or cool.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »

M, ASHP visualisation needed old son 🔬📷

Photos of where any pump "action" are within the property boundary / in relation to neighbours & any "swotty" hysteria db levels within the immediate area welcome, sighting is a bit fraught with potential for neighbourly disharmony for many considering this tech,  despite it running quieter than that illegally parked diesel engine idling for 15 minutes on the road  banghead outside of my abode!

In your own time  stir

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
M

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 06:17:30 PM »

Hello Gus. Waiting for dodgy video to upload to Dropbox ...... am I allowed to say that?

Hopefully it answers any questions, but some background, I wanted to fit the unit in the living room, but the wall goes through to the kitchen (not conservatory, so it got too complicated. Then I did lots of tests etc on temp difference with conservatory, and Wifey was keen to have the living room/conservatory door open more during the Spring and Autumn colder months.

Conservatory (glamorous name for a normal room with a glass ceiling) isn't too bad, doesn't get too cold, and with a volume of approx 2.4m3 takes next to nothing to heat. Cooling was more of an issue, but new blinds (reflective outer, with a 10mm honeycomb type cross section) seem to keep the heat out. Also, the room is ESE so by around 2pm, when the living room may start to overheat, the sun won't be shining directly on it, so AC will be fighting ambient gain, not solar gain.  still uploading ....

A bonus of using the conservatory is that I've been able to use it on fan only mode, which on full power is louder, as you'd expect a fan to be, and it blows the warm solar gain into the living room. I suspect in full fan mode the noise and 'wind' would be a bit too powerful if overhead.

Outside it's hard to explain, but hopefully you can hear (or not) that it's really not loud at all. You wouldn't have to raise your voice to have a quiet chat right next to it. Video also shows the PV brackets I had made by my friendly neighbourhood iron-man, to form a canopy from 2 of the 5 lower panels.

Hope the vid makes sense (it's done now) but ask away. BTW price was 1,090 plus a case of beer. DIY options are half the price (I paid for install) and the guys said they are good but perhaps slightly less efficient as they come pre-gassed. It can also run as a dehumidifier linking to another thread with clothes drying.

The ASHP is a 3.5kW model, and seems to draw around 600-700W when working hard, so 400W oil rad has been made redundant.

M's ASHP Cool but Hot video
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:20:25 PM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
MR GUS

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »

Cannot get it to work on my kindle currently ... facepalm pah! another day. Cheers M. will resume jealous looks shortly

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
M

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »

I think the ASHP has already paid for itself with this heatwave. Other than very hot weather we can manage heat by air flow, opening doors and windows and flushing the house through. But this last week has had temps of 30C+ in the East facing garden according to the shaded weather station, right up to 7pm or later.

So HiPpie the heat pump has been keeping the conservatory and living room cool, all run off PV. Last night I turned the temp lower and the fan speed up to make the most of the last generation, then turned it off when generation dropped to about 100W. By the time temps rose again, I was just about able to open up all the doors and windows and start flushing air through again.

Upstairs about 28.5C yesterday evening, hall and kitchen about 26C, living room 22C.

Did not expect to benefit this much, this soon from the A/C, but a massive bonus to the gas saving heat benefits expected Oct onwards.

M

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »

Quick update, but the numbers are small and mostly meaningless for Q2 as will the Q3 numbers I suspect, but, compared to last year I've used 27kWh's more leccy in Q2, which may include some heat pump heating from April, not sure. I assume all cooling during the recent heatwave was from spare PV.

Gas consumption, which is of course highly variable due to weather, was 341kWhs, which was down 202kWh's v's the average of the 3 previous Q2's. That sort of makes sense as I've always guessed that hot water and cooking were around 100kWhs per month, and thanks to HiPpie the GCH stayed off throughout April, and only enjoyed a 30min burn on 1st May.

So far it all looks good, the A/C was a god send, and I suspect gas savings will be noticeable (perhaps 25%?) in Q4 & Q1, but we'll have to see.

MR GUS

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »

YAY, just saw your video,  https://www.dropbox.com/s/1um1rggfciiv5i5/MVI_2426.AVI?dl=0 (on my new low power mini pc) ...thanks M

I think that will go some way with other half as to assistance heating  main room & a bedroom.

Noli Timere Messorem
mysterons

Location - Skegness Lincs

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »

After watching Mart's video I was convinced too. I'm awaiting delivery of a 3.5kw 12000btu split system and am currently doing some prep (holes through walls, ducting etc) so that it'll be straight forward once I get my hands on the kit.
I've gone for diy as the guys Mart recommended unfortunately don't come over this far. It's quick connect, compressor pre-gassed and the pipework and interior unit already evacuated with a big chunky connector that links the two without the need for a vacuum pump and gauges.
I'll be installing the unit upstairs at the furthest point from the Esse wood burner which although it heats the majority of the house this particular area doesn't benefit so much.
The geriatric lpg boiler developed a leak and was disconnected and not used at all last winter, tbh it was rarely used previously since installing the Esse. There's no mains gas out here so hopefully the split system will keep things comfortable.
Immersion on E7 and solar thermal heat the water so the lpg gasser isn't missed at all.

3.96kWp Solar PV - 18 Sharp 220w and SMA3300 fired up at 4.30pm 12th Oct 2010 - 40 x 47 solar thermal installed July 2012 to exisiting 162ltr vented cylinder - Esse 350 inset WBS
M

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »

After watching Mart's video I was convinced

..... that I should have dusted before I started!  Embarrassed

eabadger

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »

we have a 3500 output inverter split heater, we bought it when in the mobile home whilst building, didnt use it much as we got the wood boiler installed soon after, we then installed it in the new build with intention of quick heat in mornings, but never found the need, but last few weeks it has been brilliant in cooling mode, large open plan area went from 36* down to 24* within maybe an hour.
we had to top gas up in the thing, it cam with pre gassed pipes when new, when we moved it i read on line method to get gas in to one of the split parts, worked well, but after ages of not being used some gas had seeped away, i bought a refill kit from italy and it worked a treat, think it was 39.

i have just installed a monoblock air to water pump, and think i would go with these for heating rather than air, but that may just be me.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
M

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 07:54:21 AM »

Just to say that HiPpie has been woken from its slumber. Excellent way to raise the living room temp from slightly chilly to fine. One day the forecast was greyish all day, but PV gen was about 1,000W so I put HiPpie on and left the living room door wide open and it warmed up the house a bit and hopefully the thermal mass of the living room too. Normally in Sept solar gain is enough, but it's been a messy start so far, though the next week is supposed to be better. Regardless, no GCH yet and almost all heating covered by PV.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: