navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nickel Iron Batteries  (Read 54630 times)
clivejo

« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »

Clivejo, yes there will be Cadmium ions in the electrolyte if they are in are partially or fully discharged state - the Cd returns to the plates during charging. They will lose water as hydrogen and oxygen during charging in the same way as lead acid batteries do and should just be topped up with water so adding electrolyte from another cell could affect the balance of the electrochemical reactions. Glad you've found out what they are  stir

Rather than renewing the electrolyte, I could just add potassium hydroxide to the required SG?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Eleanor

« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »

Clivejo, I should have thought before posting in haste so ignore my last post  Roll Eyes The Cd ions should be held in the negative electrode as Cadmium Hydroxide and not generally floating around in the electrolyte although I suppose there will be some. The electrolyte is just there to supply the hydroxide ions during discharge and take them up during charging. I guess they are present in huge excess as the SG doesn't change and just adjusting it to the correct SG by adding water or KOH should be OK as long as you know all the KOH already in the cell is in solution. There are probably people here who know far more than me about these cells as I've never used them so hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along  tumble

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
clivejo

« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »

There are probably people here who know far more than me about these cells as I've never used them so hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along  tumble

I dont think so, in the absence of such expert I nominate you Navitron Forum Battery Expert (NFBE)  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:40:18 PM by clivejo » Logged

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Scruff

« Reply #228 on: April 15, 2017, 01:54:04 AM »

Still looking for some.

H

Still looking for some?

Clicky
fourfootfarm

« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »

I looked at them, the listing says they're all sold.

Don't get why people do that. Take the sodding listing down then...

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
Scruff

« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »

Don't get why people do that.

Also says do not bid...it's not an auction.

Buy it now then make them source you new ones!  stir
camillitech

« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

Methinks it's a dodge to avoid paying the eBay fees, 'I'll show my ar5e in Woolworths window' if they're old sold  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »

£45 for an indestructible battery?

I spend more on broken stuff!

So what if they're only 60% efficient!  whistlie

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »

Not again Paul, hysteria
                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »

Not again Paul, hysteria
                     Biff

Martin will be turning in his grave  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »

He will be more than likely, Laughing his head off,
 He had a very good sense of humour.
                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: