navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for some monitoring suggestions, current setup doesn't do it all.  (Read 2212 times)
mr_magicfingers

« on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

I currently have a couple of different monitoring systems in the house, but neither of them are showing me the whole story and I'd appreciate any advice on how I might best improve it.

Current energy system is mains supply to the house, economy 7 with twin reading meter, , 6kw of PV on the roof with a generation meter, an immersun feeding twin immersions in the 300l thermal store.

The immersun shows me what energy I'm diverting and the app, when it works, shows how much I'm sending to the grid, using, or importing. The sunnyboy inverter sends data to Sunny Portal which gives me a daily email with generation.

I have an Energy Hive box monitoring the mains supply and telling me how much power I'm using at a given time, but that seems only to be on the mains input which drops when the PV is running.

However, even with all this, I don't seem to have a reliable way to see what I'm using all the time or keep records of it. The hive will tell me what my mains supply use is, but that doesn't take account of what the pv is producing. The generation meter tells me what the pv generates but not what I'm using, the immersun tells me what I'm using/exporting etc but only on a moment by moment basis as the monitoring app/website doesn't always seem to work.

Is there a way for me to tie all this together, to see day and night time grid use, overall house use taking in to account PV use, and see what I'm using all the time?

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »

Reckon the EmonPi could suit your needs?

https://guide.openenergymonitor.org/setup/

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
heatherhopper

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »

dan_b is right - some version of the emon hardware/software would cover all your needs. I would recommend a standard type set-up using their own hardware but you may be able to feed your current data logging as inputs into the emoncms software (open source) which will then give you endless manipulation and storage options. Very easy to use, even for a numpty like me, but if you are a bit geeky there are many options. They have an active community who will be very helpful and the support for hardware purchases is excellent.
Although mostly aimed at a grid-tie situation I have it working for an off-grid set-up and have a complete view of individual generation, usage, diversion, battery charge (limited but quite explicit), temperatures etc. I have just been away for a week and left my precious equipment to it's own devices for the first time - remote monitoring via the emon set-up gave me greater peace of mind. Mine is a relatively basic set-up and not "public" but just shout if you would like to see some screenshots of the logging data and display options.

Off grid 6kW Proven 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
RIT

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »

While it will not meet all your needs if you have an Android phone/tablet you may want to take a look at

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.oxleyws.solar.pro&hl=en_GB

While there is a small cost it does upload all the info from the inverter to pvoutput.org so that you have a log term history and detailed stats.

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »

Thanks all, I've just fallen down the emon rabbit hole for a few hours. Looks like that will do the job. The only monitoring issue I can see that might be a problem is the immersions from the immersun, but I'm sure someone on the forum can figure that out.

Will come back with info when I'm ready to order and set up.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
dan_b

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »

CT current clamp on the cable sending power from ImmerSUN to Immersion heater which the EmonPi could then report?

4kW PowerVault Battery
djs63

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »

I too have been looking at the emon packages and am very interested in the heat pump monitor. But I can't find out what the peak flow rate of my heat pump is which is needed to select the appropriate model of the Kamstrup heat meter. Does anyone know how to find this please? My HP is a Worcester-Bosch Greenstore 11 kW (6 years old).
Thank you, David

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
heatherhopper

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »

CT current clamp on the cable sending power from ImmerSUN to Immersion heater which the EmonPi could then report?
Yep - works fine with my diversions but they are a custom SSR set-up. Don't know what the Immersun output is and there may be an issue with the Emonpi reference voltage although there are scaling possibilities in the software - best to check with their forum people as I don't really know what I'm talking about. One of their community members does an alternative diverter if you are willing to ditch the Immersun (mainstream product and surely has a reasonable resale value?).

Off grid 6kW Proven 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »

Not sure if that works, I think the clamps can only be on a live cable whereas the immersun outputs to the immersion with twin and earth.

Sean

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »

Not sure if that works, I think the clamps can only be on a live cable whereas the immersun outputs to the immersion with twin and earth.

You simply need to split the T&E and attach the clamp to phase - Robins almost ready to use kit is very configurable.
dan_b

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »

The EmonPi actually has an "immersun"-like module that has been developed - you could just replace it with the EmonPi and sell it for 2nd hand value? Would make the system less complex?!

4kW PowerVault Battery
dhaslam

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »

I too have been looking at the emon packages and am very interested in the heat pump monitor. But I can't find out what the peak flow rate of my heat pump is which is needed to select the appropriate model of the Kamstrup heat meter. Does anyone know how to find this please? My HP is a Worcester-Bosch Greenstore 11 kW (6 years old).
Thank you, David
You should be able to work out  the  peak flow from the difference in flow temperatures at peak output.   The flow needs to be 860 litres per hour at 11 kW output  and 11 degrees differential  and is  likely to be a little more than double that rate.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: