navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery  (Read 1331 times)
GarethC

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »

With wind, I agree, but not for solar, the scalability advantage of PV is minimal, a savvy DIYer can beat a renewable energy fund hands down.

The latest 5MW farms bought by Bluefield Solar fund (earlier this year) cost them approx 1.33 per watt.

My latest 1.7kW addition with new quality Panasonic panels, almost new quality SMA inverter, mounting kit, cables, isolators cost me 1,200.
Thats 0.70p per watt, nearly half the cost.

Interesting... Funds will of course have to purchase the land and build infrastructure, which is a sunk cost homeowners don't have to pay. You're a special case though on the other hand. Current stats say installs your size cost most people about 4k.

Also, there's a difference between how much it costs a fund to purchase an exisiting solar farm, and how much it costs a developer to build one. Letter will be much lower. Hence I'm interested in funds that fund marginal capacity builds. Haven't actually invested a penny yet right enough....   whistlie
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »

It all depends on  each individual,s definition of payback,
                                      We do our bit for the planet, We do the best we can and try and balance what we can afford to spend and hope that we are offsetting the carbon footprint. Like Billi,I have been off-grid for 10years + but for the past 10 years, I have had much the same forklift bank of 60 cells. Both forklifts complete and working + 2 x 48v 800ah powersafe packs cost me a total of 2,500 euros. I bought them just when the crash peaked in 2008, They were the easiest and quickest installation I have ever done before and since that time. I just lifted a 48vpack on the tynes of the 72v forklift and drove it ip on to a little 8 x 4ft concrete stand, connected the 48v to the 72v, still in the forklift in series and ran like that for approx 2 to 3 years before I made it permanent.,
      It was one of my better ideas and I would recommend it to anyone who is seriously thinking off going off grid. Do not faff about with low voltage dc, Get up in the 120volt range and you will find that you can bypass all the special toys that you have to buy to convert your DC small stuff to a higher voltage. You can throw your Mppt stuff out the window because the 120volt which actually sticks at 140vdc all day long is ideal for stringing PV panels in groups of 4 or 5 . Its quick and the losses are minimal. You can travel in 140vdc for 75 yards with next to no loss and dump directly into your immersions.. You can harvest the solar energy a lot quicker.
   As for payback, I am not sure, where I stand, I know that Mrs Biff and I have come out ahead long ago but I did get quite a lot of dosh for one scrap powersafe 48v pack,, I think it was about 500euros, The forklifts will go for scrap, I kept them complete with a view that if it did not work out then I would stick them all back together again and send them on.The standing charge here is quite expensive. The least annual bill would be 600 euros+ , so dodging that + the installation fee of 2,000euros  gives us something to play with. Yet there were casualties, I cooked a couple of turnips and I sold a few and between cooking and selling, I still came out miles ahead.. I developed a taste for building electricity generation machines that work extremely economically within certain parameters,
   I don,t think I could trust myself to go Li-po, The lead acid is very forgiving. I can tell you that from my own experiences You can coax 10 years out of x forklift batteries, They will survive being boiled dry twice, ( a terrible crime but I was in bed   err for months) Grin So Aye, if you can work with solar PV and Wind you can manage quite well, there will always come a time, no matter what way you plan it that the sun don,t shine and the wind don,t blow and that is when you need your economic back up plan B. Rest assured that the mains suppliers locally have suffered many more outages that ever I have so no matter who you are, it is good to have backup to cover your food in the freezers..
    High voltage is dangerous and should only be installed by extremely diligent and competent persons  help But then you have to remember that 220 ac can also be a shocking state of affairs if badly handled.
   Batteries, The best is yet to come.
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 02:17:58 AM »

It will take us nearly 30 years to achieve payback and we'll be very lucky if we get anywhere near it. So what.

Didja factor in the internal heater load in Winter?  whistlie
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: