navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prolific, Masterlog and Windows 10  (Read 2876 times)
GeoffM

« on: September 12, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »

For some time now I have been getting data from my SunMaster inverter via Masterlog to manually enter into Excel so I can keep an eye on progress. SupremeTwo was instrumental in assisting me in getting this set up (and will probably be the font of knowledge for this thread too!!).

In July I upgraded the PC which is connected to the inverter to Windows 10. Last weekend I took the plunge and did a clean install of Windows 10.

All week Masterlog has been working normally.

Today it is telling me that there is a problem with my COM3 port - code 10, this device cannot start. I have de-installed and re-installed the Prolific driver many times now. I've tried other USB sockets on the PC - which get a different COM port number but still do not work.

I've used the same package to install to a Windows 7 laptop and there is no problem at all.

The Prolific chipset Check Version tool tells me it is a PL-2303XA/HXA chip. Whether this is supported under Windows 10 isn't crystal clear but if I assume it isn't, can anyone point me to a new converter to purchase - the cheaper the better!! :-) I found this one and will enquire what the chipset is. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prolific-PL2303-Basic-Breakout-USB-to-Serial-TTL-6-PIN-5V-MWC-MultiWii-Lite-/252035610342?hash=item3aae7e36e6

My cheap alternative is to simply gather the data to the laptop but eventually I will want to upgrade that to Windows 10. I guess I could run a virtual Windows 7 for this purpose.

Thanks
Geoff
jonesy

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »

This is, apparently, proflifics method to make you buy new gear.  They do not produce w8 or w10 driver for my chip, or yours, the 2303HXA. 
Luckily the w7 driver works.  Google for driver version  3.3.2.102 wrapped up in a vista/win7 - PL2303_USBSerial_Win78_3264.exe  Just be careful as there are plenty of wasters who spend their life putting up code that is said to be a driver, but is actually a trojan.
Once you've installed that, check the driver is the correct one, as shown above.  If not choose update driver, then browse, then let me pick, then the 2008 version.
Windows will every now and then be 'helpful' and install the latest driver, so you then have to go back in and manually pick the older driver.
I also use a siliconlabs cp210x and that's ok under w10.  IIRC that was about £2.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Mostie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »

Geoff, I have had a lot of problems trying to talk to inverters with Prolific chipsets, and always use FTDI ones now.

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
GeoffM

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »

Thanks guys

Jonesy, it's odd that it's worked OK for over a month under Win 10 and today decides to not work. Whatever, I believe I've found the driver version you suggested and when I install it I choose to remove the old version, then it requires a reboot, then I re-install and if I look in Device Manager the version is 3.6.78.350 (which is the same as the version I've installed on the laptop.

So I ran the de-install and install as Administrator. I then ran the de-install, asking it to remove the drivers, and didn't re-install and when I plugged the inverter back in the driver was still there - so I think the old version isn't being removed correctly, and/or can't be overwritten with the older version. Any thoughts?

I think I took an image of my C drive last weekend, straight after I completed upgrading and loading all my apps. I might go back to that to see what's what. If you have any idea what the driver filename is that'd be helpful.

Is this the Silicon Labs thing which I want? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB2-0-USB-A-to-3-3-5-V-TTL-UART-Module-5Pin-CP2102-Serial-Converter-STC-/231558563959?hash=item35e9f74877 ? FTDI equivalent seem less available and more pricey!!

(NB Odd thing - it seems to have stopped working on the laptop now, maybe the board has gone tits up.) UPDATE - now got this working again on the laptop, seems the uninstall/re-install is deffo a bit flaky.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:19:52 PM by GeoffM » Logged
jonesy

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »

attached is a screenshot of the drivers I've got installed for the prolific
The Silicon labs I've got is a CP2102.  Very similar to the ebay one you've linked, but mine is mini usb.
Does sound like your prolific is faulty, if it's intermittent.  I wasn't brave enough to do a clean install, as I have say 50 other programs to then load, so I just went with the upgrade and the only thing that happened was the radeon graphics card started working properly!

* prolific.JPG (28.18 KB, 341x434 - viewed 393 times.)

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
GeoffM

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »

Holy thread revival :-)

Last week I had a new fairly major update to Windows.

Today the PL-2303 won't connect, in Device manager it says "PL2303HXA PHASED OUT SINCE 2012. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER" and I have no COM3 port. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling using drivers which have previously worked but no-go.

The prolific website does say it isn't supported in Windows 10. http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=223&pcid=126

I'm going to swap the board out for the sake of a few quid. The thing I currently have is a small board but the cheapest option seems to be cables like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-Adapter-Chipset-PL2303HXD-Computer-for-Win7-8-XP-Xg/283492952070?epid=7003440190&hash=item42017f2806:g:Db8AAOSwxcRW9T2H, do we reckon that'll do the trick?
kommando

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »

That listing does not say its for Win10 so no comeback if it does not work, I use FTDI or CH343G chipped USB cables and both drivers work with my 64bit Win10 laptop. FTDI drivers are already in Win10, CH343G need to be downloaded and installed.
GeoffM

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 08:20:02 AM »

Thanks. I'd rushed into buying one of those like I linked to so I'll see if that works, if not I will take your advice.

I reverted my PC back to an earlier image from when it was working and it is now working again, but it seems to lose the drivers each reboot so requires re-installation. This was happening before so I suppose after x reboots it will disable the device again.
supremetwo

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »

Sorry, Geoff,

Cannot help you with the Prolific adaptor.

All I can say is that my original Mastervolt adaptor works fine with the latest Windows 10 (and no trouble on all previous versions from XP).

Pity there are no used ones on Ebay.

Meanwhile try this for the problem driver:-

To prevent the driver from being reinstalled by Windows Update, use the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide the driver.
Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:50:46 AM by supremetwo » Logged

Scruff

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 02:12:37 PM »

I'd just use an external bi-directional meter, it'll be more impartial, give you a better picture of what's going on, it's a hardwired solution that doesn't require a computinator and it's not subject to ApprenticeVolt's proprietary pricing for underwhelming functionality.

I recently spent €200 to find i could only change the one parameter on a Mass Combi and learned that everything else adjustable was not. I can change the values but the lemon does what it wants anyway. ApprenticeVolt don't use their own products you can tell by the way none of them work very well.

+1 FTDI vs prolific
GeoffM

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »

Well the Prolific has done me well for the seven or so years and I have all my data back to day 1.

Today I've rebooted my PC a number of times and it seems to be holding up.

But also the cheapo CH340 arrived. I've not wired it to the inverter yet but after manually installing a Windows 8 driver it seems to quite happily and reliably add as a device. It was only £2.40 delivered :-)

The external meter wouldn't allow me to capture data on the PC would it, which is he purpose of the exercise.

Scruff

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 09:16:49 PM »

Your data would be more accurate if it showed negative energy...self -consumption.
I think the impulse terminals are for logging but I've no idea how they work.
GeoffM

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »

The new converter has 5 pins - 5V, 3V3, TXD, RXD, GND

TXD and RXD are jumpered together.

In the old one I had a wire going into T-/A and one into T+/B and R+ R- GND and +9V were empty.

Can someone please help with which pins IO should out the two wires to? I'm feeling maybe TXD and RXD, and remove the jumper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: